Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 6/10/2021 at 1:44 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Lois – good news so far.  I assume they will also test for H. pylori, which is the bacterium that commonly causes ulcers.  I almost died from a bleeding ulcer, but since I took the triple cocktail to eradicate H. pylori there have been no recurrences. 

Hi Jazz, yes, that H whatever the long name is.......that test is on the list.  (they gave me a bunch of paperwork to bring home.)   What tests, etc.......and photos from the procedure. He said the ulcer is pink and that the area should be white.  You would think pink sounds good LOL......I guess not.

Now that they are safely ensconced in Delta’s flying tube heading back to their home, it’s safe to report on yesterday’s festivities.  We had a great time celebrating with Chris & JP at three of Oregon’s world renown wineries.

275CB222-61AF-4962-B526-42D7BBD31A41.thumb.jpeg.c83a5d202262b5d1a3f9d976cfcf5193.jpeg

Our first tasting session was underway before 10:00a at Beaux Frères.  The owner, Mike Etzel, has a new project underway to keep him busy during retirement, since he’s turned over day-to-day operations to his son Mikey, and we were able to taste his experiment; Sequitur.  Only in its third vintage, the wine is a blend from the best of 17 individually vinified Pinot Noir clones planted on only 12-acres.  It was delicious and ready to drink now. 

Before leaving Beaux Frères and the Ribbon Ridge AVA, Earl The Wine Dog brought JP an extra special breakfast treat from the field.

Next up was Evening Land Vineyards, located in the Eola-Amity Hills AVA, for a private tour and tasting set amongst the Seven Springs vineyard.  We enjoyed two Chardonnays and four Pinot Noirs before a bottle of Gamay Noir was poured on JP’s head.  The celebration was well underway by then!

A854381B-FBF6-4339-8533-28505C17B311.thumb.jpeg.919591c34d06f59ac61495eb0b0cc257.jpeg

After Evening Land, and being the great sport that he is, JP treated us to a private tasting at Domaine Serene located in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA, where he and Chris are members.  Presented with a sparkling wine upon arrival, we enjoyed a beautiful spread of charcuterie and cheese, along with a custom curated tasting of two Chardonnay’s, two Pinot Noirs, and two Burgundies.  And, to send us over the top, we even got to sample two extra wines, one a blend of Syrah and Pinot Noir, considered a steakhouse wine, called Grand Cheval and the other, a burgundy, from Les Trois Glorieuses auction where the barrels are sold for between $25,000 to $100,000. Yikes!

90C26E47-D1D5-41BE-8631-D51B4905938C.thumb.jpeg.55ef51ad1cb38747096d04b2d680b187.jpeg

In closing, acquaintances made on Cruise Critic and friendships inaugurated while sailing Silversea are such a delight when cemented by a memorable day such as this.  Happy 26th anniversary JP & Chris!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, brimary said:

Happy Anniversary JP and Chris and agree with Jazzbeau comments particularly as we have just passed 57th Anniversary a;nd although we look forward to continuing our association with SS which was interrupted by the Pandemic in 2020 for the first time since the late nineties and had the pleasure of your company a few years ago.Think it was Scandinavia but may be wrong as memory is occasionally questionable.Enjoy your future cruising on SS.

Hi brimary! 

We were definitely on a cruise together but I think on that trip they moved the meet&mingle at the last minute so you missed it. We were disappointed to not see you there. Pretty sure that it was a 2014 cruise but I have to go back and figure out which one. Hope we meet up for real in the future!

20 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Now that they are safely ensconced in Delta’s flying tube heading back to their home, it’s safe to report on yesterday’s festivities.  We had a great time celebrating with Chris & JP at three of Oregon’s world renown wineries.

275CB222-61AF-4962-B526-42D7BBD31A41.thumb.jpeg.c83a5d202262b5d1a3f9d976cfcf5193.jpeg

Our first tasting session was underway before 10:00a at Beaux Frères.  The owner, Mike Etzel, has a new project underway to keep him busy during retirement, since he’s turned over day-to-day operations to his son Mikey, and we were able to taste his experiment; Sequitur.  Only in its third vintage, the wine is a blend from the best of 17 individually vinified Pinot Noir clones planted on only 12-acres.  It was delicious and ready to drink now. 

Before leaving Beaux Frères and the Ribbon Ridge AVA, Earl The Wine Dog brought JP an extra special breakfast treat from the field.

IMG_6459.MOV 25.25 MB · 2 downloads

Next up was Evening Land Vineyards, located in the Eola-Amity Hills AVA, for a private tour and tasting set amongst the Seven Springs vineyard.  We enjoyed two Chardonnays and four Pinot Noirs before a bottle of Gamay Noir was poured on JP’s head.  The celebration was well underway by then!

A854381B-FBF6-4339-8533-28505C17B311.thumb.jpeg.919591c34d06f59ac61495eb0b0cc257.jpeg

After Evening Land, and being the great sport that he is, JP treated us to a private tasting at Domaine Serene located in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA, where he and Chris are members.  Presented with a sparkling wine upon arrival, we enjoyed a beautiful spread of charcuterie and cheese, along with a custom curated tasting of two Chardonnay’s, two Pinot Noirs, and two Burgundies.  And, to send us over the top, we even got to sample two extra wines, one a blend of Syrah and Pinot Noir, considered a steakhouse wine, called Grand Cheval and the other, a burgundy, from Les Trois Glorieuses auction where the barrels are sold for between $25,000 to $100,000. Yikes!

90C26E47-D1D5-41BE-8631-D51B4905938C.thumb.jpeg.55ef51ad1cb38747096d04b2d680b187.jpeg

In closing, acquaintances made on Cruise Critic and friendships inaugurated while sailing Silversea are such a delight when cemented by a memorable day such as this.  Happy 26th anniversary JP & Chris!

From the smiles on faces from the first winery visit this was obviously going to be a spectacular event!  And from the description so it was!  Thanks for sharing the good times!  And well done lads with the planning!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Hi brimary! 

We were definitely on a cruise together but I think on that trip they moved the meet&mingle at the last minute so you missed it. We were disappointed to not see you there. Pretty sure that it was a 2014 cruise but I have to go back and figure out which one. Hope we meet up for real in the future!

JP AND CHRIS....Thanks for the info,remember the last minute M & M

change and share your hope once normality returns to our favourite hobby of cruising on SS.Best wishes to you both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Even being retired and in lockdown (somewhat modified) this is true for me!  Long term effects of a nine to five job!  The struggle is real! 😁

Nah.  Retired and have the following calendar: 

Sunday – Saturday – Saturday – Saturday – Saturday – Saturday – Saturday   🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

My calendar: Saturday & Sunday - do not shop, let the working folks have the roads & stores, I remember how it was.  Other days - like Jazz said...

That is such a good thing and I have to continually remind myself.....you don't have to go shopping on the weekends anymore LOL

Monday morning or mid day always works😉

So did I go out today? Yes.......it was ok though, I went out to lunch😃 and it was a freebee😃

Went to Maggiano's......had a grilled salmon salad.....it was delicious.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 7:05 PM, jpalbny said:

Stenotrophomonas maltophilia

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Always ready to learn from JP and many others here, so I searched this.  Sounds awful!

Using my fractured Latin [learned from Flanders & Swann*], what I got out of this was:

'a disease that makes people who like chocolate malteds write about it in shorthand'...

* 'O tempora! O mores!'  ['O Times! O Daily Mirror!']

They also taught me French:  'La belle dame sans merci' ['The beautiful woman who never says Thank you']

• Haha 2

More Flanders & Swann:

There was a terrible shipping accident in the English Channel this afternoon.  A tanker carrying blue paint rammed a tanker carrying red paint.  Both crews were marooned...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1