Prescription meds

txladyjan

Just a curiosity about taking Rx meds. I’ve heard pros and cons of taking them in their original bottles. Anyone ever run into a problem either way? Also should you take a print copy of each prescription?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just take ours in their original bottles from the pharmacy. If you're on a long trip, a copy of the prescription probably isn't a bad idea, but certainly not required. We usually take a copy of our prescription for our eyeglasses, 'cause, you never know, you might fall down and break your glasses.

I never take the original bottles. I put seven days worth in a one week pill carrier and for longer cruises or trips I put the rest in a single pill bottle which I then redistribute at the end of each week. Recently I have also carried a tear off from my refills that lists the individual medication and dose. This is for 5 separate meds. Have never been asked about the meds on any trip.

I always keep all medications in their original bottles.

And yes, since 9/11 we have had TSA open our medical and actually read some of the bottles -- several times over the years.

I keep the papers that come with the prescriptions that gives the name of the prescriptions, the amount and how many to take and exactly what they are and what they are for. That way if something happens, we can go to a doctor and get a prescription filled.

I have traveled to over 140 countries. Most with meds. I take them in a pill organizer and never had an issue.

If I had to travel with serious meds or narcotics, I would carry in original bottle, with a letter from my doctor.

My boss traveled for several years with injectable, refrigerated meds. He got asked what they were, and that was it.

I recommend the original bottle and label. Many pahrmacies will give you an extra if you ask before your trip. That way you have the name of the medication, directions , and the doctor info Incase there are any problems.

I do like the poster who recommended bring a copy of the glasss script.

I always keep all medications in their original bottles.

And yes, since 9/11 we have had TSA open our medical and actually read some of the bottles -- several times over the years.

I keep the papers that come with the prescriptions that gives the name of the prescriptions, the amount and how many to take and exactly what they are and what they are for. That way if something happens, we can go to a doctor and get a prescription filled.

TSA does not give a damn about medicine as long as not over the 3 oz liquid. They just have been curious why you are taking so many drugs. Remember that there is no problem printing your own labels for prescription bottes. Just because there is a label does no mean what is in the bottle is what label sates.

TSA does not give a damn about medicine as long as not over the 3 oz liquid. They just have been curious why you are taking so many drugs. Remember that there is no problem printing your own labels for prescription bottes. Just because there is a label does no mean what is in the bottle is what label sates.

Disagree. Narcotics are a hot button issue and they would care if you had those illegally. Not sure how printing your own prescription labels work; though it would be simple enough to call the pharmacy or doctor listed on them to confirm if they thought they were bogus. All pills are marked with identifying markings unique to that drug. It’s not difficult to look a pill up based on the marking and confirm what it is. That’s why I wouldn’t worry too much about prescriptions and OTC meds outside of controlled substances. Those I would take in the original bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disagree. Narcotics are a hot button issue and they would care if you had those illegally. Not sure how printing your own prescription labels work; though it would be simple enough to call the pharmacy or doctor listed on them to confirm if they thought they were bogus. All pills are marked with identifying markings unique to that drug. It’s not difficult to look a pill up based on the marking and confirm what it is. That’s why I wouldn’t worry too much about prescriptions and OTC meds outside of controlled substances. Those I would take in the original bottle.

Narcotics ARE different.

But it will not be TSA that gets involved, but CBP or DEA. And many airports DO have drug sniffing dogs.

That is why I have said in every one of these threads, if you are taking a narcotic, take THAT in the original bottle, and I would have a letter from my doctor stating my need for them. And NOT take an excessive amount along with me. Enough for the trip, plus a 25 - 50% contingency.

Narcotics ARE different.

But it will not be TSA that gets involved, but CBP or DEA. And many airports DO have drug sniffing dogs.

That is why I have said in every one of these threads, if you are taking a narcotic, take THAT in the original bottle, and I would have a letter from my doctor stating my need for them. And NOT take an excessive amount along with me. Enough for the trip, plus a 25 - 50% contingency.

Ok. Im pretty sure that if TSA X-rays your check in and finds it stuffed with unmarked bags of controlled substances, something bad will happen to you. I don’t know what all agencies would get involved in at that point; but they are certainly a screening point that would flag something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been travelling internationally 4-6 months a year for the past 5 years. DW bungs her prescriptions in one bottle....an unmarked container.

We have been through customs, security countless times on six continents. The pills are always in her carry on. Not once have we ever been questioned about the contents. Not once has anyone even lifted the container out of her bag.

Think about this...the original RX bottle is meaningless. Whose to say what is really in that container? A written prescription or physicians letter....someone with basic computer skills and a decent printer could dummy one up in 15 minutes.

My wife takes several medicines.

We take them in the original container.

There are a few places where it is important to do so IMHO and we have been to at least one country where we did bring physician letters.

In general while it is not required by many airports and countries for it to be in the original container we feel it is better to do so all the way around. If the bottles you get are too large ask the local pharmacist for one smaller one to put in it the ones you need and see if they will place a label on the container.

Keith

We have been travelling internationally 4-6 months a year for the past 5 years. DW bungs her prescriptions in one bottle....an unmarked container.

We have been through customs, security countless times on six continents. The pills are always in her carry on. Not once have we ever been questioned about the contents. Not once has anyone even lifted the container out of her bag.

Think about this...the original RX bottle is meaningless. Whose to say what is really in that container? A written prescription or physicians letter....someone with basic computer skills and a decent printer could dummy one up in 15 minutes.

Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean other people won't have a problem.

And that's why you also carry a copy of the prescription order itself, the whole point is to give the investigating agency somebody to verify your prescription with.

Ok. Im pretty sure that if TSA X-rays your check in and finds it stuffed with unmarked bags of controlled substances, something bad will happen to you. I don’t know what all agencies would get involved in at that point; but they are certainly a screening point that would flag something like that.

They have no idea if that powder is a controlled substance or not. And no way of checking.

There are rules now about how much powders you can carry on, and that is all they are looking at.

Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean other people won't have a problem.

How many people have? Who are they?

MANY have posted on this thread about HUNDREDS of trips to MANY countries, without any issues.