Short-term Employment on a Cruise Ship

RobinKY

I have a 8 week sabbatical next summer. While I have maybe 2 weeks spoken for with a vacation, I need to fill the other 6 weeks and had an outside the box thought of finding an interesting job.

A - would a cruise line hire someone for 6 weeks? I really don't care about the pay rate. I would like to be on a ship and not working at the port.

B - Any insights on going about this?

Go to RCI's website and go to the careers section. This will tell you what is available and who to contact, and I think you will find that the cruise line is not even moderately interested in "part-time" employment.

I figured it would be a shot in the dark but maybe they could find me something they didn't have to train me on. I could just walk the pool deck picking up trash and dirty cups and dishes.

They would still have to train you on all the ship information stuff (evacuations, emergency procedures). Most crew members on ships that I've talked to are cross trained in more than one area. Since they have to cover illnesses with the staff they have onboard (in most cases) they need a pool to draw from that's trained in different areas.

I figured it would be a shot in the dark but maybe they could find me something they didn't have to train me on. I could just walk the pool deck picking up trash and dirty cups and dishes.
You still have to do all the safety training, induction and so on.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

I have a 8 week sabbatical next summer. While I have maybe 2 weeks spoken for with a vacation, I need to fill the other 6 weeks and had an outside the box thought of finding an interesting job.

A - would a cruise line hire someone for 6 weeks? I really don't care about the pay rate. I would like to be on a ship and not working at the port.

If you have an interesting professional background, certain kinds of experiences (e.g., retired university professor specializing in something to do with on or more regions visited on that itinerary) might get you a slot as a lecturer. You'd need to do some research on how any particular cruise line considers who to employ.

What skills do you have to sell them? Have you a special talent Are you a professional entertainer??

Nothing to lose by trying but it wouold be quite surprisisng if you acutlly settled ino a crew job for a scant few weeks. What re you offering them?

Edited by sail7seas

About the only positions available for short-term employment are Guest Lecturers and Guest Entertainers.

The Marine Industry is probably more stringent with Health & Safety requirements than some shore based employers, and in addition you must be trained in the ship's safety equipment and evacuation procedures.

When working, every year I hired base positions for summer help onboard ships based at my home terminal. While Seamen required existing qualifications, we would take Hotel Service crew with no previous ship experience or qualifications. However, their safety training and ship familiarisation took 3 to 4 weeks.

Therefore, you will not find ship based employment for only 6 weeks. You may however be able to find a shore position at a cruise terminal that only has ships during the summer, or increased sailings during the summer.

I am a CPA and definitely not an entertainer lol. Maybe I will do a transatlantic 2 week cruise instead by myself. Aren't those rather affordable?

Don't sell yourself short on the "entertainment" angle. I remember one lecturer who was an attorney. He did several sessions recounting all that went into the investigation and adjudication of some notable crimes he handled while serving in the D.A.'s office in Los Angeles.

Another fellow we've encountered and enjoyed on several cruises is an OB/GYN MD whose hobby is Marine Biology and who has the most amazing AV presentations about whales/dolphins/et al.

I think you've already gotten your answer that unless you are an entertainer of some sort with a successful audition with any given cruise line's entertainment placement department, who would then have an opening for you, the answer is not very likely, to no. The vast majority of direct employment is contract based, typically at 6 months on / 6 weeks off.

But let's say that you could be hired, let's look at this another way - pretend you are the hiring manager for a cruise line, what would you hire you to do for 6 weeks that would bring value to and benefit the cruise line??