Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

Giving lessons on how to post with the new cruise critic format.

Thanks Wendy, Marq will be the longest crossing we have experienced.  Marq, trust Regent and the Captain made this change in itinerary for best/safe interests of Guests, crew and to protect the Mariner.

Edited by WesW

Wes, looked at charts; Captain probably going to give  a wide berth to Vincente so definitely will need to alter course; and then you will just stay far south of both storms.  If they got new crew repositioned from San Diego to Acapulco they must have figured this out a couple of days ago.

Have fun; and please leave some Johnnie Blue onboard for me.

Marc

9 hours ago, rich48100 said:

Well, we are offshore Acapulco, and ready to go ashore for more adventures.  Yesterday started out by being awoken at about 4 am with a howling wind outside.  Tropical depression Vincent’s moved a little too close and we were having 75 knot winds.  Rockin and Rollin, and noises coming through our sliding glass door.  Fortunately, I opened it and closed it hard and the noise went away.  As the day went on it got a lot calmer, and turned out to be a great day for sailing.

Went to talks by our two great speakers, lounged around the pool, exercised, sweated in the saunas, lounged around the pool, had a tasty Bloody Mary, lounged around the pool; I think you get the idea it was a relaxing day.  

Then went to the Seven Seas Society get together and saw Wes and Ida get there Platinum Pins, and others get there pins of choice that they have certainly “EARNED”, by cruising so many times.  Then had a great meal at the Compass Rose, and after hearing so much on this board about the Mizo glazed sea bass, I gave it a try.  It was good, not spectacular, but I would order it again.

then finished off the day by going to the show which was a tribute to Burt Bacharach as performed by the talented singers and dancers on the ship.

Now waiting for breakfast to be delivered to our room before our excursion, Nature Encounter Hike and Swim.  Until next time, signing off.

Hope that you enjoyed Acapulco and that the weather there was decent.  Would enjoy hearing about your Nature Encounter Hike and Swim - that is a port we will also be visiting in 4 months.  Apparently sailing in the part of the world where you are is "iffy" during hurricane season.  

Appreciate the fact that you brought up the Seven Seas Society get together.  It is important for both the crew and the guests.  It was 11 months ago when we were presented with our Titanium pin and it was very special.

Stay safe - hope that the ship doesn't rock and roll too much while the Captain veers clear of storms.  

Marq. We (Peggy,Steve and I bought last Three JWBlue bottles)

kidding

pls c Captain Green’s letter to guests below. so, we have eight sea days vs nine now.

We will get to know our fellow guests and crew even more on this longer cross

We have a Veterans Cocktail hour tonight in Stars lounge at 6-7pm

Ida and have invited three (Nathan and Brandon) of the production team including Grace the wardrobe manager for dinner tonight on Compass Rose.  

We enjoyed sometime with Eager2Travel at breakfast this morning. And enjoyed the view of Acapulco while docked. pls see photos below 

199156B6-F534-409C-8F49-C12E557E0D72.jpeg

D85825B6-2101-4459-B558-0B270B010D86.jpeg

3C44BA54-7070-4B15-9642-3B134F6CCFA6.jpeg

DC1F51FB-E391-4D63-A01A-79F9BBECDF7B.jpeg

FB9FC2E9-F316-41CC-BF7E-2AAF47101699.jpeg

Edited by WesW

Wes, continued thanks for photos and updates. Lovely to see Ann and Shel photo with you and Ida at breakfast. Please pass our kind regards to them, from Jean and Bill in rather windy Scotland tonight.

We cruised to Hawaii back in 2006 I think and had 6 sea days on the trot luckily the sea was so calm, hoping you all have a smooth and relaxing time.   Jean.

Smooth sailing and ask for plenty of limes & lemons in your drinks lest you get scurvy during the long sea voyage before touching land again 😘

Busy time ahead for John Baron and his team to re-schedule daytime activities. There will be plenty of opportunities to collect those Regent Points😎 

Edited by flossie009

Thank you all for taking the time to post.  Enjoying the blog very much.  A few years ago, we had 8 unexpected sea days on the Mariner due to medical evacuations on a TA.  It rained on day 8. Needless to say land was a welcome sight!  

I hope you have calm seas.  Maybe you can Trick Or Treat in Maui!  

liptastic/Jean; Will be happy to pass your warm regards along to Eager2Travel from Bill and you.

Xvlcruiser/Peggy; thank you for your safe crossing well wishes.

Flossie009/Susan and David; instead of stocking up on lemon and limes, we stocked up on Oranges and a bottle (new larger size) of Aperol 🙂

Briar14; you’re very welcome and thanks for your crossing safe wishes.  We r already looking forward to our Rainforest and Waterfall hike in Maui on October 31st.

Zqueeze1/Roberto & Pam; we almost had the exact reaction to hearing Captain Green’s announcement of Cabo and SD port cancellations “Wow, indeed”. And thank you very much for Platinum kudos.

BVbaron; yes, we r sad to miss San Diego (had coordinated with F&B Manager Vladimir for a special cocktail party for our Travel Agency owner and TA who were flying in from New Mexico.  And high school and college close friends that we had not seen in a decade, had invited us to lunch and to introduce us to their new grandson.  We had approval for them to then visit the Mariner.  However, we are “half full” folks and now focus on the positive vs what we will miss.

Cruisin7; you’re welcome.  We look forward to celebrating Halloween on board even on transition night for the Regent guests on this segment.  Ida has brought a huge bag of Candy and 15 small Halloween bags to fill up.  Now, for the hard part, choosing 15 deserving crew members to pass out Halloween candy too.

Now pleas enjoy some photos from our second Veterans day event and from an evening with Mariner entertainment team members Grace, Brandon, and Nathan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

48F0B5FD-8057-40BE-8461-E6ED1626FE15.jpeg

00A1367C-C379-4D16-AFB9-5CADD6B2D274.jpeg

1A078EAE-9F8E-4E09-A974-14FAA6DEF0D4.jpeg

53EE18E1-C764-4137-B633-62A00ACA0879.jpeg

121F9EA4-495D-4635-9BC6-2AEF66A35F82.jpeg

2C9CDD7F-12DA-49AC-82A0-245053A84C09.jpeg

D0D34F41-6280-4621-8DAC-38E5FDB0B56C.jpeg

0C8BAE4A-77CE-438F-8C9C-DC5EF2632D33.jpeg

• Like 3

It is a shame to miss two ports but Dan Green is right -- safety is pre-eminent.  Plus my experience is that the activities on sea days are superb so you will have two more days of those!    Do let us know what is on offer (some of us following your cruise(s) are on the San Diego to Miami Splendor cruise in March 20 and while hurricanes at that time of year are unlikely it is entirely possible that political unrest will force changes of plans for ports.)

• Like 1

Well, I think enough has been said about our two missed ports, and now sailing to Hawaii.  Looking forward to getting there and two days on Maui.  Will be going to lots of talks and playing lots of games in the meantime.  Now onto our day in Acapulco and our excursion,”Nature encounter hike and swim”.

started out by seeing cliff divers.  Amazing to see those guys jump off cliffs from 100+ feet into narrow water inlet.  Next a glass bottom boat ride to island and hike from resort to lighthouse.  Only really saw fish as we left and on arrival at island.  Hike was long and warm.  Path was slippery, especially on the way down, because of moisture, some mud and moss.  Had to be very careful, and walking sticks were provided, which came in very handy.  Guides were helpful with people.  All were able bodied and made it up and down without incidence.  Nice views on top of Acapulco Bay.

Next a ride back by glass bottom boat and the short bus ride to resort for lunch and swim.  Lunch was yummy and plentiful, with two drinks each provided, beers or soft drinks.  Swim either in pool or beach for about an hour.  Then back to ship for news about change in cruise plans.  We were again tired from our hike, so went to pool grill dinner area for meal after listening to broadway performer.  Performance moved up to 6pm instead of 9:30 because of change in plans. Watched the Movie High Society in room.  Great movie with Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Grace Kelly, and others.

Today we celebrate our 30 th Anniversary all day. Having dinner at Prime 7.  That’s all for now.  Enjoy some pictures.

FF022FC6-5503-4414-9472-F65249D324B9.jpeg

2B8316BF-2D7C-477B-84B8-5BE6F217A06C.jpeg

4081126F-64EC-41F9-8D35-BC8F99F85039.jpeg

CA6CCD2F-65F9-4016-B28B-1A3FB2C36AE5.jpeg

0C92C9B6-B248-4785-BAC1-4EDB9080FC21.jpeg

CEF12C83-A4FA-4F14-936E-3058116CF0F0.jpeg

• Like 1

Ida and I wish our fellow blogger Rich and Barbara a very Happy 30th Anniversary!   Rich what a terrific post with beautiful photos that capture your narrative so wonderfully well. Loved the Cliff diver vid! (This is the firstt time I have seen a vid embedded in a Regent cruise critic post—nice feature of the new upgrade methinks)

Gnomie, thank you.  Will b sure and tell Ida you love Ida’s dress.

Hambaghale/Gerry; here are today’s morning events: Solo & Social Travelers breakfast, Regent beginner’s bridge with bridge instructor Donald Mamula, Enrichment Lecture with Lt. Col. (Retired) Bill Rothschild “Emerging Space Dragons,” Game Top Toss with entertainment team, Canyon Ranch Seminar, Officers Challenge Baggo, Enrichment Lecture,”what’s so special about Hawaii?” With Michael Scott, Bingo Bonanza, Regent intermediate bridge with bridge instructor Donald Mamula, Boutique Seminar, Tara Pearls with on board Jeweler Georgiana, Social Hostess’s Marla’s Game (Pictionary on the Giant Easel, and Paddle Tennis.  Will post today’s afternoon events later.

Will soon post our next behind the Scenes Crew Profile with Srinath, the Compass Rose Sous Chef.  

19 hours ago, briar14 said:

Thank you for your continuing reports, enjoying them! Wishing everyone safe, pleasant sea days. The views of Maui will be especially welcome when you arrive.

Just curious what ideas anyone has for spending an extra day on Maui?  If you have to spend an extra day in a port, Maui is certainly a beautiful place to do so.  Warmest Aloha in advance.

9 hours ago, WesW said:

53EE18E1-C764-4137-B633-62A00ACA0879.jpeg

121F9EA4-495D-4635-9BC6-2AEF66A35F82.jpeg

2C9CDD7F-12DA-49AC-82A0-245053A84C09.jpeg

D0D34F41-6280-4621-8DAC-38E5FDB0B56C.jpeg

Wes, a couple of comments and questions about these photos:

I recognize the escargot in the first pic (spectacular dish IMHO)

I do not recognize the dishes in the 2nd and 4th, wondering what they are.

What a lovely couple in pic number 3!

Bob 

I was thinking of a knitting and/or crocheting group on a long cruise like this.  Or perhaps just needle arts.  There was a needlepoint group on my Miami-Lima Mariner trip in 2017, but I'm not into needlepoint--guess they didn't want to provide supplies for lots of different things, but no reason why it couldn't be BYO.  Art classes would also be nice--any hope of that?   Thinking ahead for the future.  Baggo just doesn't cut it for me.  I presume there are ballroom dance classes?

42 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was thinking of a knitting and/or crocheting group on a long cruise like this.  Or perhaps just needle arts.  There was a needlepoint group on my Miami-Lima Mariner trip in 2017, but I'm not into needlepoint--guess they didn't want to provide supplies for lots of different things, but no reason why it couldn't be BYO.  Art classes would also be nice--any hope of that?   Thinking ahead for the future.  Baggo just doesn't cut it for me.  I presume there are ballroom dance classes?

I enjoy doing needlepoint while cruising, which usually meets around tea time, depending on the excursion schedule. There are always people who bring their own crafts, whether it be needlework, knitting or crocheting. On one cruise, there was an individual who had taken one of those huge zip lock bags that you attach to your vacuum cleaner to remove all the air and filled it with knitting wool - she was on for about 60 days and was hoping to complete matching sweaters for her three grandchildren.

My Mom tells me that when Regent was Radisson there were different types of art classes offered - apparently that is where the bowl that holds the car keys came from.

gnomie :classic_smile:

18 minutes ago, gnomie1 said:

I enjoy doing needlepoint while cruising, which usually meets around tea time, depending on the excursion schedule. There are always people who bring their own crafts, whether it be needlework, knitting or crocheting. On one cruise, there was an individual who had taken one of those huge zip lock bags that you attach to your vacuum cleaner to remove all the air and filled it with knitting wool - she was on for about 60 days and was hoping to complete matching sweaters for her three grandchildren.

My Mom tells me that when Regent was Radisson there were different types of art classes offered - apparently that is where the bowl that holds the car keys came from.

gnomie :classic_smile:

Thanks.  Nice to know that the needlepoint group can have "hangers on" who do other crafts.  I hadn't thought of that.  It's nice to share these activities.

Please, first some housekeeping, want to answer Stefkin on how many UK/Brits are on board (for HNL to Papeete, Rui (Assist Purser) will let me know when Regent’s Miami office populates his file giving the demographics for this segment (Rui believes this will happen Oct 28th or 29th). In mean time, here are country demographics for this voyage: Austria 2, Australia 23, Brazil 1, Canada 71, Switzerland 3, Germany, 7, France 6, UK 51, Ireland 1, Japan 1, Mexico 2, Norway 2, New Zealand 2, Poland 9, Sweden 2, US 423, Vietnam Nam 1, South Africa 2 = 610/700 Passengers on board.  Will post HNL to Papeete Demographics later in the month when Rui notifies me.

Hambaghle/Gerry;  Thank you we really, really, really enjoy profiling Regent Crew members who work so hard behind the scenes to make our Regent voyages so very special.  Here are this afternoons and this evenings first of eight sea days activities:  Shuffle Golf, Guests meet at pool bar to arrange informal games of Bocce, Ping Pong, or Paddle Tennis, Texas Hold’em tournament, Canyon Ranch Seminar, Roll-a-Ball, WENDY the WONDERER Alert (Needle point Nook with Marla Social Hostess, Indoor Cycling (Bianca Fitness Instructor gave a very good class (both Ida and I, and Capt Green cycled during this time), German Kuching Tea Time, Mensa Daily quiz answers revealed by Social Hostess Marla, Fun & Friendly Trivia hosted by the always outstanding CD, John Barron, Evening Yoga (Sunset) with Fitness Instructor Bianca, Ivory Seranade (with Pianist Nick Messina) at Obsvn Lounge, Cocktails, Canapés and Dancing wth Natural Duo Denis and Elian (Ida and I enjoy dancing when they play), cocktails with a musical twist—enjoy a pre dinner treat from Bar team and Music from Regent Signature Trio at Mariner Lounge, Social Travlers get together with Social Hostess Marla, Mariner Moods enjoy after dinner cocktail and melodies with pianist Nick, Regent presents Simon Colonel—Glitches in Reality—comedy w/magic show in Constellation theater, Stars Late & live with Natural Duo Denis and Elena, Guess that Tune with pianist Nick and Social Hostess Marla at Mariner lounge, Pop Hits Factory, Regent Signature Orchestra entices u to dance floor w/favorites in Horizon Lounge, and Jukester Jukebox Disco—choose your favorites from ove 7000 songs on touch screen at Stars Lounge.

Bob; food snaps in 2 and 4 are respectively mild Indian curry and wait for it, wait for it....liver.

Let’s meet our next behind the Scenes Crew Member:

Time to meet another Regent Sevens Seas Mariner behind the scenes crewmember.  These selected (by the Mariner General Manager & Human Resource Manager) are generally crew that do not get told “Thank you,” by the guests since they do their outstanding work out of sight of Regent Guests.  Most often you can find these crew work below passenger decks—their hard work directly contributes to the onboard guest’s enjoyment of their cruise.

Let’s meet the Mariner’s Executive Sous Chef, Srinath gokulanathan, 

Chef Srinath as he is know by crew members, hails from Chennai India. He is married to the beautiful Hair Prya.   They are parents of the adorable Doshini who is four years old.  

When asked how Srinath keeps in touch with his family when he is at sea, Srinath tells me he uses Face book an the app, “What’s app.”

Chef Srinath has worked as Executive Sous Chef in the Mariner’s hard galley for three years.  He is directly responsible for 22 galley crew members that serve in the Compass Rose Hard Galley.

When asked what his toughest assignment as Executive Sous is; he tells me proper training of new galley crew members. What Srinath enjoys most about being the Executive Sous Chef is creating new dishes for guests, helping Galley crew learn new galley skills.  Moreover, he relishes setting a positive work climate in his Galley work space.

What Srinath likes most about working for Regent Seven Seas cruises is that Regent takes great care of the crew, and the Ship top leadership set a very positive work place climate.

9E226678-78F1-441A-B9C8-A5F46603570B.jpeg

0D176DD9-F5DF-464F-BEB1-B2B859360C10.jpeg

0E5BFD59-5382-4126-9244-BDC40E62DBBE.jpeg

• Like 1