Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

We enjoyed lunch today with fellow blogger Rich48100/Rich & Barbara in Compass Rose.  Outstanding service (Salvador) paired with delish cuisine was special as we celebrated Rich and Barbara’s 30th Anniversay.

Unbeknownst, to Barbara & Rich we had previously coordinated with Setti Mari Head Waiter Sylvester (he provides dining venue service above & beyond at every meal) to have a special anniversary desert present to the two 30 year beaming/very young at heart, very much in love, lovebirds.

Please enjoy a few photos

5EF03907-AA4F-4624-938F-5AE04642C78A.jpeg

B502AC89-F2ED-4B7F-842D-D0CBAD006085.jpeg

Edited by WesW

So enjoying this thread. Taking notes for our first long cruise. I also wondered what photo 4 was. I have to say the last thing I expected to hear was liver. I assume this was a special request? I guess that is one way to get your Vitamins. 

I’m so enjoying this thread! Thank you to all our bloggers. 

We are joking you in HNL next week. 9 days at sea...wow...the HNL-PPT  leg with 4 sea days is the most that we have ever done at sea and we are a tad concerned about cabin fever after so long. What kinds of activities does Regent offer on sea days and do those of you who have had more than a couple of sea days feel that there is enough activities to keep busy? 

• Like 1

Travelwell; Grace (the Production Team Wardrobe Mgr, ordered this dish). She loves liver and decided on this main course selection—she loved it.

Zoey1: Please see our posts #117 and #125 above, we listed all activities the Mariner Entertainment teams organized for our first of eight sea days.  Ida enjoyed playing Pictionary with Marla (pls see photo in second reply below) and we enjoyed watching the officer’s challenge (Photo below is Ida with the Mariner’s Purser, Paola).

RachelG/Rachel and George;  We love having free laundry; it is Christmas Morning every afternoon we our soiled laundry returns freshly washed, pressed and wrapped in tissue inside the Regent Laundry grey laundry box.  Thank you very much for the Platinum Kudos.

And want to give Boblerm/Bob & Jeannie, kudos for sharing a very useful tip to take the blue out of Compass Rose photos (tho we had dinner in Setti Mari last night, cuisine and wine pairing photos in second reply below).  Bob gave me via Yahoo email step by step with photos, instructions on using the free Adobe Phote Express App to remove blue.

Very easy (as Bob said it would be) to take the blue lighting color out of these CR photos. Also, Bob will try to put Captions on some of our pix so your do not have to guess/wonder what the photo is (still working through the learning curve of this new Cruise Critic format(

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

294A990B-6D57-43CB-8AEE-3FDE96077E32.jpeg

Edited by WesW

photos below are from some of yesterday’s games. then we enjoyed dinner (veal marsala, lamb ossobucco) paired with Tomassi Amarone) at Setti Mari

46F10189-BBC8-451D-8004-6B8DD7E46E7F.jpeg

D7233F73-5682-4A93-85D1-8A9E2086A061.jpeg

ECA5DB0D-1977-4F77-B189-3E2DF48BD478.jpeg

15E6D092-F2E2-4E20-8680-9B364E014437.jpeg

A10BE87B-0245-48CE-847D-7B232A4B90B6.jpeg

Edited by WesW

9 hours ago, travelwell said:

So enjoying this thread. Taking notes for our first long cruise. I also wondered what photo 4 was. I have to say the last thing I expected to hear was liver. I assume this was a special request? I guess that is one way to get your Vitamins. 

Calves liver is on the Compass Rose menu occasionally (it was also offered one evening on the Mariner cruise immediately prior to this one); it is delicious as prepared by the Regent chefs  😋

You can also make a special order giving 24 hours notice and if they have it on board they will prepare and serve it for you.

Edited by flossie009

The Sous Chef looks like a lovely man and I bet he makes a great curry too...

Wes - thanks for the activities update.  I am sorry that I asked the question though because it must take you hours to put all this data into your posts.  Mea culpa!  It is rather obvious that (a) there is more than one can possibly do all day long and (b) something to suit all tastes.  Perfect!

Take care and enjoy the next week at sea - which I hope stays calm.

Gerry

Thanks to all who wished us a Happy 30th Anniversary, and a special THANKS to Ida and Wes for putting together a very appreciated celebration with them and some staff.  It was a great surprise, and we will remember it forever.

Before that celebration, we went to two talks by our excellent speakers, and they both were well attended.  People are settling in to the fact that we will have many sea days together.  Let’s just get used to it and enjoy all that we can.  More and more stuff is being planned, so John Barron and his folks are doing the best they can to keep us entertained.  You can either go with that flow and join in the fun, or you can be a slug.  Your choice!!!

After our lunch and doing stuff in the afternoon, we and the Grand Voyage people were hosted by the Captain, officers, John Barron, entertainers, for a welcome celebration.  Drinks and canapés, and renewed acquaintance with these folks, some of which we have seen on excursions, had dinner with, and in general enjoying their company.  We could not stay till the end as we had our 30th Anniversary Dinner at Prime 7.  Since we are carnivores, we both enjoyed the filet, with all the trimmings.  I then had to have the popcorn sundae, and DW had the 14 layer cake.  Being a chocoholic, I had to help her with her dessert.

Went to the entertainment, and saw a magician that was fantastic.  Crowd participation, and we were amazed, and had a lot of laughs.  After this we were wiped out after a day of celebrating and got back to our room with a wonderful surprise on our bed.  Pictures to follow.  That’s all for now.

24BD0047-D7FD-4840-8CBA-228F64C8822B.jpeg

1ED91E6E-8329-4975-AE3B-ED7216D25DA0.jpeg

AC1CB782-A65F-4FFB-924E-5D38BE082F8D.jpeg

328F2012-43F7-4A71-857D-E01426F88A91.jpeg

00736208-8987-4283-A0D2-A64755A5F634.jpeg

BE260CE1-D948-43C4-A203-8873695B6306.jpeg

3B3FCD9E-D894-4600-A582-C801BA51ED90.jpeg

FA36CD99-A224-477C-9BC8-C89F9AE94BF5.jpeg

6C32004A-54BB-40ED-84C4-C8B387936B89.jpeg

• Like 2

Your pictures were a great way to start the day here on the East Coast! Looks like it was a special celebration helped along by some of the wonderful Regent staff and crew and friends. Really enjoy your daily summaries, thank you.

• Like 1

Good Morning from our third day cruising on the Pacific Ocean enroute to Maui, Hawaii.

Before briefly recapping our second day at sea enroute to Hawaii, want to provide (since a few folks have asked r there enough activities planned on board when you’re at Sea on your cruise ship) a summary of today’s principal events we look forward to on board Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

Before sunset there are a variety of fitness classes offered (FAB ABS, Total Tubes, Stretch and Relax).  Ida is personal training with Bianca, the outstanding fitness instructor on board (today’s focus is on legs).  We have two enrichment lectures scheduled this morning, “A Scientist’s Perspective,” given by Michael Scott; and “The Way Forward in Space, Part 1,” given by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Bill Rothschile.”  The entertainment teams has a variety of games on offer; Officers Challenge — there fav game, “Baggo.”  The Social Hostess also hosts her very popular, “Marla’s Game,” just prior to noon.

At 11:30, will interview another behind the scenes Mariner crew member to profile here tomorrow.  Next post will profile Ronalyn, Assistant Chief Housekeeper (for Decks 7 and 8).  At lunch, Ida and are joining fellow Veteran Bill and his wife Nancy at Compass Rose where Ida and I will learn how they enjoy living in a Life Plan community since we will move to a North Florida Life Plan community in three to four years, and of course, Bill, Ida and I will share U.S. Army service stories.  Nancy, Ida and I will chime in with service stories as a spouse to an Army Soldier (in War and Peace).  Regent Guests have the opportunity to enjoy a Caribbean Barbecue on the pool deck

In the afternoon, we have Ballroom Dance class after lunch featuring the jive, then a popcorn movie, and more Entertainment team led Guest Games to play where you earn points good for Regent Merchandise (T-shirt’s, caps, bags, etc)

In the early evening we have our top tier (Gold, Platinum, Titantium, and above event) “Havana Dreams, Panama Scenes ‘Surprise Entertainment’ planned at the Constellation Theater.  We look very forward to our third Mariner Production Team Production of Broadway major hits at 9:30 pm and then our superb cruise director John Barron will present an hour later, “John Barron’s Late Night Joke Night.”

Now, please enjoy some early evening (beautiful sunset time on our suite’s balcony with beautiful Ida and Champers), our Mariner head sommelier Kadek wearing proudly his 10 year service pin he was presented at the Regent Seven Seas Society Party earlier in the week, and some delish cuisine snaps taken last night (e.g., Vegetable Enchilada, Chicken Scallopine, and Hazelnut soufflé).  Also, shown are the Mariner’s Captain and Purser playing (intently) their fav game, “Baggo.”

713F1964-116B-4E34-8B6B-A929C0E99F67.jpeg

1559C3AB-F1D5-4A57-8D85-95A17311F873.jpeg

4217FB29-D35E-4777-A245-34E9AFDC26DA.jpeg

0DCF7770-2B24-464A-A647-C24F95F393E6.jpeg

5CE23657-DBC1-4DB0-89E1-F6A8FFC41F34.jpeg

95CF6865-E123-4066-AA39-3F6175F72312.jpeg

A64A8EB4-A4FC-467B-BB06-F64A1AC91772.jpeg

6C09009F-2AB3-444B-ACD9-77DD7C7720AF.jpeg

A798DA5A-260A-485E-B7B1-5A6A50E1971C.jpeg

210913BB-D517-43F2-ABA7-A2F32AD82703.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

Can’t add much to what Wes has already put in his blog.  I think he and Ida were a little more active than DW and I.  I guess we were still enjoying the afterglow of our anniversary.  We did go to talks and participate in games.  DW went to the movie and I did some exercise followed by pool lounging, and couldn’t pass up a good spicy 🌶 Bloody Mary.  Had a wonderful dinner with an English couple.  Laughed with them about activities aboard, and excursions.  We both have had interesting experiences and it was just a good time with them.

went to the evening entertainment, and good singing and instrument play.

sun is now rising so off to get another sea day started, and head off to breakfast.  More activities to follow.

• Like 1

Mariner “behind the scenes” crew member profile.  We like to profile Regent Seven seas crew members that generally do not get told “Thank You,” by Regent Guests but who are critical to all of us enjoying our cruise.

Today, lets meet Ronalyn Andres, Assistant Chief Housekeeper.  

Ronalyn, hails from Bulacon, Philippines (near the major city of Luzon)

When not serving on board her second favorite ship (the Navigator (her first contract) is her fav) she goes home to the Philippines and lives wither her extended family (dear Mother, her brother and his lovely wife, and her special nephew and niece.

Ronalyn began her career with Regent eight years ago as a stewardess working on the Navigator.  Ronalyn transferred from a Japanese cruise ship to the Navigator, where she worked under the then General Manager, Michael Coghlan, who is now our Mariner’s GM.  She earned a very well deserved promotion to Assistant Chief House Keeper over a year ago.

Her main duties as Asst. Chief Housekeeper are supervising the nine stewards and stewardess’s that serve (3) on deck 7 and (6) that work on deck 8.  She provides guidance to these exceptionally hard working Regent crew members to ensure Regent Guest suites are maintained in exceptional condition.

Ronalyn tells me that her hardest challenge as Asst. House Keeper is resolving guests concerns/complaints.  She receives most of these via the Mariners top leadership (General Manager) from the mid cruise comment cards.  What “Ronnie “ as her friends and family call her enjoys most while working on board as helping her nine crew members she supervises learn new skills and making them happy.

Ronalyn, tells me what she likes most about working on Regent Seven Seas is the very positive “teaching” climate on board where leaders and fellow crew member help each other learn skills that serve Regent Guests best.  She tells me Regent especially focuses on helping new crew members learn their duties.

When asked if there was anything else she wanted to add as our interview concluded, Ronalyn enthusiastically said, she would like to give a hearty shout out to the Chief House Keepers she has worked under (Ms. Sunny, Ms. Annie, and now on board the Mariner, Ms. Rose Mary).  She also wants to give credit to fellow Regent stewards and stewardess’s for helping her learn.

2 hours ago, forgap said:

Wes, what’s the verdict on the Germain?

E98D911F-898F-4CF6-987D-2E8366919C34.jpeg

7EFBC3D4-C5A9-4806-8EB8-9DD4DA7EEEAD.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forgap said:

Wes, what’s the verdict on the Germain?

darn internet is problematic so can’t reply as timely as i would like.  photo below shows Ida and my + verdict. Germain is a nice tasting (ida’s instant reaction on tasting) French Champagne from Reims

3EE4A3D7-DE7C-48E9-AB16-80BF0B33D973.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wellseasoned said:

Wes, we finally caught up with your thread and are enjoying your cruise! Great reporting as always.  All our best to the lovely Ida and also to you!

Wellseaned/Dieter & Debbie;  Thank you and Ida and I send warm regards right back to y’all.

I am so looking forward to this cruise.  I will be giving a "new guy" perspective when we join the cruise in Honolulu on Nov. 1.  But we like to start our vacation  early, so tomorrow (Friday), we climb on board a beautiful Boeing 767-400 for our flight to Honolulu for 6 great days with friends from California before boarding.  We are in "panic mode," as we've never done 44 nights on a cruise ship and need to pack for Hawaii, the South Pacific, New Zealand, and Australia.  

We traditionally do a "practice pack" (yeah...I have a very organized wife).  We did our  "practice pack" two weeks ago and left many items simply packed.  Now we're going through the panic of "did we pack......?"  Never do a "practice pack" two weeks early.😂

Anyway, "one day and a wakeup" and we are ON OUR WAY!  See y'all in Honolulu!  

• Like 1

Safe Travels papa flamingo/Margaret & Jim

Good Morning from the Pacific Ocean!

We are on board Regent Seven Seas Mariner on our fourth sea day of eight (itinerary modified due to Hurricane Willa activity that was in original cruise path).  We are now enroute to Maui Hawaii

Time for another Mariner “behind the scenes” crew member profile.  These dedicated crew members are instrumental in making our Regent cruise enjoyable but rarely get told Thank You by guests.  Most of these behind the scenes crew work below the passenger decks.

Today, let’s meet Yuni Agustinah, who lives in Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia.

Yuni has one beautiful 19 year old daughter, “Sasti” who is now in college.

Yuni started her career with Regent back in 2008 first serving as a cabin stewardess, on the Regent Seven Seas Voyager.  The Voyager is still Yuni’s favorite ship as it was her first ship and still has a very special place in her heart.   Six years later in 2014, Yuni was promoted to Assistant Chief Housekeeper.  

Yuni’s principal duty as Assistant Chief Housekeeper, is managing 22 crew members of the Housekeeping staff.  She manages 10 crew members who work on deck 9, manages nine crew members serving on deck 9, and supervises two crew members who work on deck11.

Under Yuni’s experienced (ten years on Regent) eye, her housekeeping teams on Decks 9,10 and 11 ensure guests suites are sparkling clean, as well as deck corridors are polished and housekeeping lockers are cleaned and in perfect order. 

When asked what her hardest housekeeping duty was, Yuni, told me, “dealing with guests concerns/complaints in a timely manner.  She enjoys supervising and working in the Housekeeping team, as she feels like the Housekeeping team members are her family, and she prides herself in treating her 22 member housekeeping team,  like they are members of her family.

Yuni, tells me that she truly enjoys working for Regent Seven Seas cruises because in addition to being paid a very good salary, she gets to travel the world.  Yuni, enjoys learning about different cultures in the tremendous variety of different ports she gets to visit on Regent cruise itineraries plus she learns about the country’s and their cultures from fellow crew members.  Yuni, highlighted how much Regent and the Fleet leadership treat everyone well—they make us feel like one big family, she emphatically tells me.  Yuni, also points our Regent promotes crew members within Regent and points out that the former Mariner Chief Housekeeper (Melina Arietas) is now the Oceania fleet Corporate Chief Housekeeper.

Yuni is one happy Regent crew member, it was a pleasure to learn more about the Housekeeping team’s work from her

577F6F12-56E5-4F1B-8591-7F085181D7D0.jpeg

C396A037-B2D2-4E87-BD17-AE1E9C717813.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, here it is 5am on the ship, and Wes and I are feverishly posting and doing other internet work before the masses get up and the internet slows to a crawl.  Yesterday was a great day.  Beautiful sunrise.  Did a power walk on the floors and ran across some interesting decorations on doors.  Folks are getting ready for Halloween.  Spent more time in the sauna and loved it.  Went outside in the sunshine of the pool deck, about 85, and it seemed cool.

A couple more talks by our excellent speakers.  Well attended and full of info about upcoming space travel and expectations of what to see and do in Hawaii.  Also got into subject of climate change.  It is a two part presentation, so interesting to see what second part will show.  Will have a panel discussion afterward.  Will report about that later.

Another special event for seven seas society members, drinks, canapés and entertainment, then off to Compass Rose for a fantastic meal, prime rib for DW and pork chop parmigiana for me.

Then on to a really fantastic show by singers and dancers, Blazing Boots.  High energy country and western performance.  Made even more fantastic by a triple brandy.  Asked one fellow to bring me one, nothing, asked another and nothing, asked another and finally got something.  Then the other two showed up with Brandy’s.  Didn’t want them to go to waste so just had them pour the contents into one glass.  NO I didn’t finish it all in one sitting. Still have some left for later.  No problem going to sleep though.

enjoy some pictures taken around the ship.  More to come tomorrow.

4E22A9A7-C56B-48FA-8917-1D473D3F5BB7.jpeg

A9886EF9-B374-44A3-8984-A770128326CC.jpeg

99BB987E-EFB1-46DD-AC26-FBD8A5E2D273.jpeg

4811B9C8-9223-4789-8CF4-B720A28D005C.jpeg

42CBD696-E91F-4048-B306-ACDB6DB14317.jpeg

374E8A9B-5AD4-4E6F-BC1E-D830D6B2599E.jpeg

CA9C17A1-0BA5-4473-B858-A1BFB5258469.jpeg

80B90AE8-E95F-47BF-80E3-B57EA6AF2796.jpeg

7D0FEC11-009C-4510-A586-FC92D15151A5.jpeg

• Like 3

Terrific blog post Rich, especially enjoyed viewing the creative suite door Halloween decorations,

Good Morning from the Pacific Ocean on the fourth consecutive day at Sea as we head to our next port of call, Maui on Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

Before posting on today’s ship board events in a later post, let’s briefly recount (in photos and videos) yesterday’s fun day at sea on board the Mariner.

We had a delicious lunch in Compass Rose with new cruise friends Bill and Nancy (Bill is a Vietnam War Veteran) and we met them during the first of two Veteran day events here on board the Mariner.  Before lunch, we enjoyed the alway favorite Mariner Officer’s favorite game,  Baggo.  First time we enjoyed playing with the Mariner Executive Chef Wesley.  (photos below)

After lunch, Ida along with fellow jigsaw puzzle lovers worked diligently to finish the next jigsaw puzzle, that challenged their puzzle skills.

After our afternoon workout in the Mariner fitness facility (Zumba class for Ida) and Elliptical time, weight lifting (Wes) we hurried to get dressed for the special early evening event for top tier (folks who have sailed many nights) Regent Guess in the Constellation theater.  Took a few photos of Cruise Director John Barron introducing the Mariner’s leaders (Captain Daniel Green, General Manager Michael Coghlan, and Cruise Director Eddie).  Also, was able to take some photos of the special entertainment performed for us— magnificently by a few members of the  outstanding Mariner Production team

Finally, after another scrumptious dinner in the Mariner’s main dining venue, Compass Rose, Ida and I headed to the marque Mariner Production Team show, “Blazing Boots.”  This was one of the best production shows/evening entertainments Ida and I have enjoyed at sea.

12DE0BA4-2ADA-46A6-8B3E-0C2CB791C5DA.jpeg

FA13DFF3-4F06-4926-9E0C-C62B9E6DB3F4.jpeg

B01A0FFA-F58A-431C-BA20-D467AFC2132F.jpeg

8CA623AC-8EC4-4395-9548-75414F28859C.jpeg

5F23E7C3-1CF7-4FE0-9C63-A1DA3F4B74D4.jpeg

B72B1481-38E3-4328-97E3-9DF7BB12AF21.jpeg

AD7D264A-2649-4D07-8B9B-415B18C6999D.jpeg

D8B24394-4238-407A-B42D-5A99FA753801.jpeg

516A658B-F384-4DD8-A067-1CD0DCCEE90F.jpeg

6B526DEA-8391-433B-8212-6B11E123B929.jpeg

42196E27-D0C3-4169-B80D-82068B15DF93.jpeg