Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

Rich, happy belated Anniversary! 

We also are cruising to celebrate my 60th bd. Had to laugh about the practice packing as we leave Tuesday evening and cannot pre or practice pack due to the fact that we have our ho e up for sale and do not know if we will have showings over the weekend, with the h Use staged there is no room to hide luggage. We have An

never packed last minute but hoping due to the late packing it will keep us from our usual over packing. Getting excited to join all of you onboard in Honolulu.mwe are seasoned cruisers however this is our first with Regent so really looking forward to both Regent and my birthday bucket list Itinerary!

Wendy

• Like 2

Enjoying these posts, nice to know there’s loads to do on sea days. This is our first Regent cruise, Silverseas previously. Celebrating our 4oth wedding anniversary on this cruise, looks like there will be plenty of good food,  Wine and Champagne my favourite, please don’t Empty the cellar before we board in Papeete. 

Lynda

• Like 1

Hi Mr. Silver;

Yes, Regent Seven Seas Bridge Instructor on board is Donald Mamula.  He teaches beginning bridge, and intermediate bridge most days.  He also hosts Regent Social and Duplicate Bridge.

Internet is spotty here in middle of Pacific Ocean otherwise would provide you a google link to Donald’s background/bio/vitae.

Yes, our sea days are chock full of activities—Ida and I r having a blast but pine for our missed port of San Diego.  

Regent instituted a Pool Grill dining concept like Hot Rocks on Silversea cruises this summer MR. Silver.  Now, the pool bar (and nice vibe at bar)does not close at 6pm, dining alfresco or on the pool deck is from 6-9pm.  So, we enjoy having a Champers or Aperol Spritiz jacuzzi nite @ sunset (like tonight) then changing into casual clothes (Ida is dressing in her pajamas...kidding) for our pool dining venue—a welcome change of pace.

• Like 1

Well it's ZERO hour! After over a year and a half of planning the day has finally arrived! We're packed and ready...well we hope we're ready. 😳  Heading to Honolulu today for 6 pre-cruise days then joining  this beautiful ship on this spectacular voyage!  We'll see y'all on board on Nov. 1.  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JMariner: Our lead blogger Rich is bringing a enthusiastic joy for Mariner life to our blog with Barbara and his unique/fun voyage perspective.  

Papaflamingo; Jim & Margaret, have a wonderful pre cruise in Honolulu—we look forward to welcoming y’all on board November 1st.

Good Morning from the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Yesterday, Ida and I enjoyed another wonderfully relaxing (fourth consecutive day sea) Sea Day on board the Mariner.

Briefly, we enjoyed an entertaining and exceptionally well presented Mandarin Penang Curry cooking demonstration by the Mariner’s Executive Chef (Chef Wesley) and the Mariner’s Sous Chef (Srinath G).  Have included some photos and videos of this cooking demonstration below.

Ida continues to relish & enjoy earning Regent points for enthusiastically participating in the Mariner’s Entertain Team’s on board games (e.g., top toss, Baggo, ring toss, Marla’s games, shuffle golf, et. Al.,).  During Marla’s game held at 11:30 am in the Mariner Lounge yesterday, Marla put a visor/hat on her head with the name of a celebrity that she had to guess by asking ?.  She correctly guessed that she was Kermit the Frog.  Will have to call her KI Fromm now on (“Kermit Ida” :)) This game was very boisterous, my crew member interview was at the far side of the Mariner Lounge and we often heard the dozens of guests cheering and laughing.  

Bravo and props go to the Mariner Entertainment team for putting on such fun and popular (very well attended (Officer’s Challenge Baggo game was attended by over three dozen guests and  nearly ten Mariner officers) games while we continue our voyage (eight consecutive sea days) to our next port, Maui

Ida and I decided to enjoy another jacuzzi and pool grill dining evening.  After nearly an hour on the indoor cycling bikes, we headed to the jacuzzi at sunset (about 6:45pm.  Johndell, our friendly and eager to please pool deck steward quickly brought us our Aperol Spritz’s (photo below).  

Forgap/Jennifer asked me to share some photos of the newly refurbed Mariner.  So, please take a look at the refurbed pool deck, please see next post.

Ida and I then toasted and felt blessed, so very fortunate to enjoy such a special moment together cruising on the Mariner.

We changed into casual dress and headed to the pool grill for a very nice relaxing dinner.

Please enjoy some photos and videos below.

17E028CB-A92D-405B-9151-17DC32CD1C59.jpeg

05E6316F-8B11-457D-82C4-DDF9C3345F14.jpeg

A9716302-0A93-4874-82C2-FBE08AF66119.jpeg

25A2B980-BBB2-4E3A-9DB5-4740CD973CB1.jpeg

779D70EF-19F5-43DF-8661-C7ED1A11BBCC.jpeg

5332B040-E2E2-4229-A975-4096542CF717.jpeg

617AC57A-5042-4900-9E7E-11799B1CDD68.jpeg

FC450725-F8E2-4639-9EB6-770D870C5449.jpeg

485276C1-7B8D-47B5-BF49-C8E48439187F.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Time for another hard working Regent Mariner of the Seas Crew Member profile.

Today let’s meet. “The Gentile Giant,” as Steve is referred to around the ship, he is just over 6 feet three inches tall.  The Mariner General Manager as well as fellow crew, enthusiastically let me know, “Steve is a very gentle Giant.”

Steve Angelico Dcosta, was born, raised and still calls Goa, India his home.

When not serving Regent Guests as a Junior Waiter, Steve lives with his parents in Goa.  Steve has one sister (Sien who is married and also lives in Goa.     Steve has  one adorable nephew (11 years old) and relishes the time they spend together when home.  He loves taking Sien to Cricket Matches in Goa.11 

Steve has been working for Regent for seven years.  His first contract was back in 2011 on the Voyager. However, his favorite Regent ship is the Navigator for it’s smaller size (400 passenger capacity).  Steve tells me the smaller Navigator,  enhances interaction with guests and working on this smaller Regent ship means he and fellow crew members have a short & quick walking distance to get to their work, and off time spaces.

In 2011, “This Gentle Giant” first began duties as a restaurant steward.  In just a few years of hard wok serving Regent guests and being an exemplary crew team member he has been promoted to junior waiter. 

Steve enjoys serving Regent guests (replenishes water glasses, carries their plates to their tables, can prepares (cleans) tables). Steve also takes care of Guests special requests at each meal (e.g., eggs Benedict, french toast, retrieve pool grill orders, sushi).

Steve told me no matter how busy meal service becomes he tries his best to serve all guests with a smile and kind words.  His most enjoyable duty as a Junior Waiter is talking with guests in extended conversations, often joking with  and laughing with guests.  Soon thereafter,  Regent Guests (like the Mariner team members know Steve as the Gentle Giant) soon realize this very tall server is indeed a “Gentle Giant.”

What Steve enjoys most about working on a Regent Seven seas ship is learning new duties while traveling the world.  He especially enjoys meeting and making friends with fellow crew members and learning about Guests travels, likes and dislikes.

Regent is like a family for Steve, he tells me his work schedules are seamlessly planned.  Important to Steve, is Regent promotes within the ranks of Regent employees based on these hard working crew members merit and their good work.

Please welcome and say hello to the Mariner’s Gentle Giant—Steve.

8D2153B7-3E8E-4EEF-B9D5-AD1F6CF0F97A.jpeg

97D262A0-CBDA-4BB9-80E9-213E853F3C1F.jpeg

• Like 2

Another day to come on our Pacific sojourn.  First of all, Papaflamingo(Jim and Margaret) safe travels to Hawaii and have an enjoyable time before we welcome you onboard.  Looking forward to our meet and mingle and u two, and it sounds like about 60 or so others at the meeting.

Now to yesterday.  After posting, and cleaning up other issues on the iPad, decided to go for a power walk down the hallways before others arise.  Not many people around, so could move out.  Later went by the pool to sit in shaded chair area.  Now the interesting part.  I sit down to read my papers, and there are two seats empty to the right of me and two empty seats to the left of be.  One couple puts their stuff to the left of me and leave.  Another couple puts their stuff to the right of me and leave.  I am reading my papers, and people are walking by looking for places to sit, and by this time none to be had, it is about 9 am.  I would say about a half an hour goes by and these people are still gone.  Lo and behold one of the lady leaders crew on deck comes by and asks me if I have seen these people recently. I said nope, they just left there stuff and left.  She takes all there stuff and says if I am here when they get back, let them know there stuff is inthe lost and found, where they can get it and have a talking to.  One couple shows up and asks where is there stuff, they went to breakfast.  Tell them over to lost and found and officer doesn’t allow saving Loungers for as long as they were gone.  They are of course upset, but too bad.  I contacted an officer to tell them I was pleased that they were enforcing the no saving of chairs , and he said that Regent is enforcing a policy of no saving of those loungers for more than a half hour.  Hope their enforcement continues.  Don’t know aboUt the other couple as I left.  They were gone for a good 45 minutes and never showed up.

DW went to the culinary demonstration and then we went for a good lunch.  Went to talks in the afternoon, and went to trivia later in observation lounge.  PACKED!!!  Folks are really into trivia.  Some tough questions, and best teams had 12 out of 15 correct.  Off to Compass for another great meal, and then decided to call it an early night.

Thats all for now, so we will see what another day at sea brings.  All this way cruising on open ocean, haven’t seen one ship.  A few birds are glad to see us, as they land to get a rest on what probably is a long migration.

• Like 2

Having signed up for a world cruise on Mariner (in just over two long long years from now) I've been following this thread with interest: it is a somewhat shorter version of what I'm likely to experience.  Based on what I'm seeing here, I'm having second thoughts: I'm not sure I can stand having this much fun day after day after day.  Boring! Isn't anybody on the ship having a miserable time?😉

Happy y’all (Malbec Wine (Catena reserve is on board), David the Wonderer, Ronrick1943, all) r enjoying  the Grand Mariner Voyage duo (Rich/Wes) blog for now—soon with Papaflamingo boarding in Honolulu our blog will be a merry Trio 🙂

Saw Rich this morning heading to the outstanding Mariner coffee corner where probably the best barista (coffee maker/server) in the Regent fleet, Justus serves delish espresso, capuchinnos, latte’s of most flavors).

Want to add some pool deck photos of the Mariner refurb since we disembarked the Mariner in Buenos Aires in February that Forgap/Jennifer asked me to post:

18F94F73-DD2A-43BC-B8DD-741AE598E560.jpeg

059C48D2-9C39-4148-B9A7-2B792439BA11.jpeg

3B5E0FD5-0165-450A-9573-9A66EAC02273.jpeg

C909F705-48B0-46A1-940C-547160BE2ACF.jpeg

94BF3F38-FE50-4862-8256-97CBDABE221F.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, WesW said:

Hi Mr. Silver;

Yes, Regent Seven Seas Bridge Instructor on board is Donald Mamula.  He teaches beginning bridge, and intermediate bridge most days.  He also hosts Regent Social and Duplicate Bridge.

Internet is spotty here in middle of Pacific Ocean otherwise would provide you a google link to Donald’s background/bio/vitae.

Yes, our sea days are chock full of activities—Ida and I r having a blast but pine for our missed port of San Diego.  

Regent instituted a Pool Grill dining concept like Hot Rocks on Silversea cruises this summer MR. Silver.  Now, the pool bar (and nice vibe at bar)does not close at 6pm, dining alfresco or on the pool deck is from 6-9pm.  So, we enjoy having a Champers or Aperol Spritiz jacuzzi nite @ sunset (like tonight) then changing into casual clothes (Ida is dressing in her pajamas...kidding) for our pool dining venue—a welcome change of pace.

Now that you are half way to Hawaii, have any activities been scheduled that are of a Hawaiian sort?  Might be a pleasant addition and diversion from the usual events.

I love the pool surround - thanks for the photos Wes!   Means one can paddle about without having to plunge in I think.  Also will absorb the "slosh" in high seas.  (Not too high or they'll drain the pool).   Is it heated?  And if so to what temperature??  

Gerry

Great pool pictures. I love the way Regent handles chair hogs. We booked the 2021 WC that has an especially warm itinerary. Tend to love reading by the pool. Is it hard to get two chairs together on pretty sea days? Love the idea of casual evening dining by the pool, especially after full days.

i imagine the personal training costs some but what about the group classes? I think moving is probably a great thing to keep from gaining a zillion pounds. But exercise will be competing with beginning bridge, trivia, reading, sewing. Oh the choices! Can you take a photo of daily activities on ant given sea day?

LOVE reading about you cruise and appreciate the effort going into this!

On 10/26/2018 at 1:53 AM, WesW said:

Hi Mr. Silver;

Thanks for the update Wes. Hope the weather stays fair for you.

Good Morning from the Pacific Ocean as we cruise closer to Maui.

Now, have some Mariner homework, know between Rich and I we will do our best to get you Answers (e.g. pool temp for Hambaghale/Gerry, on Hawaiian themed activities for Silver Sweethearts, copy of the Mariner daily passages for Travelwell.

Your very welcome forgap/Jennifer—will post more refurbed Mariner pix (since Jan/Feb).  And thank you for the cruise well wishes cruiseluv/Maria and Silver Spectre,

Regent Seven Seas Mariner “behind the scenes” Crew Member profile.

Do you ever wonder how the Mariner’s incredibly scrumptious Sandwich’s and Salad Dressings get made?  They are made by the Mariner’s Sandwich and Salad Dressing crew member.

Siegfried, Fabros hails from the Philippines living about eight hours from Manila in Ramon, isabela. “Seig” as he is known by his family, friends, and fellow crew members is married to the beautiful Carle Mae.

Sieg and Carle Mae have three adorable children a boy, Xyrus age seven and two very cute girls ; Xyrene Kaitlin age four, and there youngest Xyrille age two.  Seig keeps connected and in touch with his family via Facebook and often calls home.

He started working for Regent a little over three years ago in 2015 as utility cleaner in the Galley.  After only a year, due to his very hard work, he was promoted  during his second contract (second year of Regent service) as assistant cook.  

Sieg’s Regent began his Regent working first on the Voyager, which today is still is favorite ship.  He tells me like his first love (Carle Mae) the Voyager as his first ship has a special place in his heart.  On the Mariner, Seig serves in the Galley as the sandwich and salad dressing crew member.  

Seig principal duties are preparing  14 cycles of delish sandwiches; Club, BLt, Vegan, Turkey, et. Al.  Also, Seig is also  responsible for making seven salad dressing (e.g., Blu Cheese, Thousand Island, Balsamic) and his favorite dressing to prepare, Caesar.  Seig uses the Mariner’s next day lunch and dinner menu’s as the planning point to make his sandwich and salad creations.

Now, almost every evening when we have dinner in the Mariner’s main dining venue, “Compass Rose,” we will be thinking of Seig as Ida enjoys her dinner portion of Mimosa salad made with his special vinaigrette dressing, and I will remember Seig made his fav salad dressing Caesar, when enjoying a dinner portion of Caesar salad.

He tells me is most challenging task is to prepare sandwiches and salad dressing for special functions and on transition day  (embarkation and on disembarkation).  He enthusiastically lets me know he loves his duties and and especially enjoys hearing that Regent Guests say his Sandwich and Salad dressings are delicious.

Seig says the Galley is very enjoyable to work in.   He tells me, tho challenging, he loves working in the Galley due to the teamwork among his Galley colleagues.  He lets me know they are very helpful sharing food preparation tips  

When asked why he enjoys working on Regent ships, he passionately lets me know he loves Regent.  Seig says Regent Seven Seas Cruises enable him to take good care of his family (Carle Mae and three children).  And, he tells me he enjoys the chance, to serve as a proud member of the Galley Team.  

He also very sincerely appreciates that Regent helps him get home to Ramon Isabella (about an eight hour bus ride or one hour plane ride) seamlessly when finishing his contract.  Most importantly, it is clear, Seig is proud that he works together  with Galley shipmates, to make guest meals so tasty and memorable.

Seig is yet, another, proud and happy Mariner crew member (who makes Delish Salad dressings too)!

26A7D81D-C114-4C88-A925-BE52588DEBD2.jpeg

DC1D719B-3490-4383-845C-8AAAB90E985C.jpeg

• Like 3

One of the enjoyable perks Ida and I and most fellow Panama to Paradise (Miami to Honolulu) guests have enjoyed is turning back the clocks about a half dozen times since we left Miami.  Tho, we did go forward one hour one night.  Believe, we have two more hours to turn back prior to disembarkation.

Ida and I enjoyed a fabulous (fifth our of eight sea days) day at sea on board yesterday.  Officers Challenge during Baggo is now up to four dozen guests and Mariner offericers cheering loudly (hope the vid below helps show the fun).

We had an outstanding special order (thanks pwfltx/Peggy) of Chicken Stir fry and Lobster roll yesterday at lunch in Compass Rose (main dining venue on the Mariner).  

Dropped by the wine tasting to chat with head Sommelier on board, I. Kadek and noted the reds they were tasting (Pinot Noir, Merlot) am hoping Rich will post more and pix as I left to go see “Memphis”

At dinner later in Compass rose, Ida gave Kadek her RSSC & Cruise Critic Meet & mingle pin for his terrific sommelier service during this voyage.

Our cruise director  John Barron, let us know Regent spent good coin to get the license rights to show the video of this 2010 awarding winning musical about a White DJ (Huey Calhoun) who played Black music in the 1950’s.  John highly recommended this terrific Broadway show video—it was outstanding.

Finally, Rui (Assistant Purser) and simply outstanding let me know we have 55 cruise critics registered for our Honolulu to Papeete meet & mingle, now scheduled for Nov 3rd (first sea day) at 11 am in the Observation lounge.  Ida stitched 60 Anchor Ribbon pins for our meet & mingles to pick up at reception on embarkation day, November 1st.

26831E5A-E2A4-45E9-A760-BCDEDD0E0560.jpeg

03305E85-1AF8-4296-9F5D-35818A3B354D.jpeg

C50455D1-845E-4722-AC08-4B6EC609A761.jpeg

46E934E9-B18F-482D-A6AE-5AD561170742.jpeg

• Like 1

Wes, thank you for all the pictures and taking the time to let us live your cruise with you.  Also a big thank you to Ida for making all of the pins. 

I especially appreciate the pictures of I. Kadek.  We met him on  our first cruise when he was a bartender and just a kid.  We've kept in contact through cruises and emails.  I am "Mom" to him(which does make me feel old).  He has done well and deserves to be head sommelier.

We'll be meeting up with you all in a few days.  Can't wait.

• Like 1