Ta upgrade list

Badgeaz

My ta says im.on a upgrade list for a cruise in December on the crown she said don't hold your breath.  I have the lowest category  on an inside cabin rivera deck front of ship. I'm thinking  of maybe spending the upgrade  fee for an oceanview. Cabin is r236.  I have not had a great experience  with my ta. This is the 1st and last time I will use 1

Any thoughts  are appreciated.  This is my 1st princess cruise and  I want me and my wife to maximize  this trip based on the budget. We can squeeze  out a ocean view. And we only care about some light in the cabin vs staring  at a lifeboat 

Edited by Badgeaz

Unless you specifically put "no upgrade" on your booking, everyone booked on the ship is on a upgrade list.  After 22 cruises with Princess, I have never been upgraded.  

Make sure what you have booked you are happy with as getting a true upgrade is rare.  Princess will consider having you in the same type of cabin but in different location (perhaps lower floor or more midship) an upgrade. 

If you really want the oceanview cabin so you have some light, then go ahead and upgrade yourself by paying the price difference.

Since you haven't made final payment yet, you can transfer your booking to Princess if you are truly unhappy with your TA.  Just make sure that they aren't charging you a cancelation fee.  Also now that any discount or perks that the TA gave you would go away.  

Either way, I hope you really enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

Upgrades happen ALL THE TIME bUT you have a very limited time to accept / reject. I called my PCC (Friday?) And asked if I was on an upgrade list. Yesterday offered a B2 (Premium balcony) in exchange for an OC (Ocean Center) for a $250 fee (8 category upgrade) . Solo alone would have been 4400 so this is like not paying that solo supplement.  My Royal in June was upgraded too from a BF room I picked to a BB

OP you'll know 0-5 weeks b4 you board when shifting starts IMHO

Edited by Ombud

9 minutes ago, Badgeaz said:

Since I'm fully paid  should I use my ta for a  upgrade  to Oceanview  or go thru princess 

Upgrades must go through your agent.

The other person is speaking of upsells which I don't think you were offered one.

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Upgrades happen ALL THE TIME bUT you have a very limited time to accept / reject. I called my PCC (Friday?) And asked if I was on an upgrade list. Yesterday offered a B2 (Premium balcony) in exchange for an OC (Ocean Center) for a $250 fee (8 category upgrade) . Solo alone would have been 4400 so this is like not paying that solo supplement.  My Royal in June was upgraded too from a BF room I picked to a BB

OP you'll know 0-5 weeks b4 you board when shifting starts IMHO

That's a great change in your cabins but that is a bit different than an upgrade because it's an upsell.  Upgrades are free.

I do love the upsells and it's a great way to get a better cabin without paying full price.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

That's a great change in your cabins but that is a bit different than an upgrade because it's an upsell.  Upgrades are free.

I do love the upsells and it's a great way to get a better cabin without paying full price.

Got it -- learning terms. My PCC used to just say "would you like a better deal?" But now it goes thru Administration (or maybe it always did?) 

It was free on the Royal but only a few categories 

Edited by Ombud

50 minutes ago, Badgeaz said:

When the cruise was booked she did the checkmark  upgrade list. But she said there are 19 people ahead of me. So that's why she said I would not hold your breath about a upgrade 

Sounds like you are on a wait list for another category with 19 people ahead of you. 

You can ask where you are now on that list 

Actually the TA doesn't really know how many people are ahead of you for upgrades. Princess can do it based on a number of different criteria. It doesn't matter how early you booked or the price you paid or your status as a past passenger. It depends on if Princess wants your cabin for whatever reason and has a cabin in a higher category it would like to switch you to.

We spent 15 nights in an inside cabin last month on the Royal Princess and did not have a problem with it. DH used to say he wanted to get the natural light, even from an obstructed view. But now he's learned that it's better to take a cruise in an inside cabin than to stay home.

Edited by geoherb

Your TA is a bit disingenuous and IMHO doesn’t know much about Princess. ALL bookings are “Will accept an upgrade” by default. There is no upgrade list unless you count all of the booked cabins on the ship minus the ones who change the setting to “No upgrade.” 

Free upgrades are based on supply and demand. The lower/lowest cabin categories tend to get free upgrades as those are usually in highest demand. 

59 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

Your TA is a bit disingenuous and IMHO doesn’t know much about Princess. ALL bookings are “Will accept an upgrade” by default. There is no upgrade list unless you count all of the booked cabins on the ship minus the ones who change the setting to “No upgrade.” 

Free upgrades are based on supply and demand. The lower/lowest cabin categories tend to get free upgrades as those are usually in highest demand. 

This was my take on things but, as I am not a truly experienced cruiser, I had hesitated to say anything. Telling someone they are "number 19 on the list" seems like a pure fabrication to me. I have a real problem with lies and would be looking for a different TA based on this statement. (I don't like it but can admit when I'm "wrong" but I have a serious issue with being called a "liar". I don't make misstatements on purpose.)

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

This was my take on things but, as I am not a truly experienced cruiser, I had hesitated to say anything. Telling someone they are "number 19 on the list" seems like a pure fabrication to me. I have a real problem with lies and would be looking for a different TA based on this statement. (I don't like it but can admit when I'm "wrong" but I have a serious issue with being called a "liar". I don't make misstatements on purpose.)

I am guessing they are #19 on a waitlist for an outside cabin.

On 10/24/2018 at 4:25 AM, Coral said:

I am guessing they are #19 on a waitlist for an outside cabin.

That is how I had understood it as well.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:03 AM, skennedy25 said:

Also keep in mind, when you are booked, it is automatically set upgrade, but there is a way to have it set to "only upgrade to next category" i.e inside to outside, outside to balcony, etc

You could request Meta upgrade only, that would be inside to outside, outside to balcony but not within your specified category (inside only) 

Last conversation  I had with my ta. She said I will email you if you get an upgrade offer. She also said. Make sure you ask at check in if their are any free  upgrades. So I'm thinking if I don't here anything within the next 4 weeks  than nothing is gonna happen 

4 minutes ago, Badgeaz said:

Last conversation  I had with my ta. She said I will email you if you get an upgrade offer. She also said. Make sure you ask at check in if their are any free  upgrades. So I'm thinking if I don't here anything within the next 4 weeks  than nothing is gonna happen 

They don't do upgrades at check in so I wouldn't waste your time.  

Onboard they will just tell you the sailing is full and usually have a sign glued to the passenger services desk also saying the sailing is full.

1 hour ago, Badgeaz said:

This is another reason your TA does not know much about cruising.  None of the mass market lines have the capacity to 'upgrade at checkin'  (I can't speak for the luxury lines, never having cruised one). Those checkin clerks work for the port, not the cruise line.  they may wear a Princess uniform one day, NCL the next.  They do not have the ability to see what cabins are empty not to take money for them.  And as had been stated, the sign on the desk at Guest Services will say the ship is full.  EM