Yappy Dog in Stroller on Reflection

jasm8449

Awful.

I have been asked in the past to fill out dubious "waivers" for "emotional support pets" by patients. Not true service dogs for vision loss, seizure detection, etc., just basically pets for people with anxiety, depression, etc.  I politely refuse, but always at the risk of a negative CGCAHPS score (patient review of their physicians) which luckily is not *yet* tied to my salary but is probably around the next bend.  So, if I decline the waiver, I could get in trouble or get docked pay for a bad review, but if I participate in this scam, it's dreadful to society in general (and personally I hate being around dogs!)

• Thanks 1

I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever. The dog is biting no-one. Get over it! I was on a ship and a zenith member complained to every staff member about his runny nose when the service dog came into Michael's club. I thought it was funny- take a pill. Celebrity will do nothing about it. They pamper these dogs with plush fresh grass plots to go to the bathroom on. I think it's wonderful & I've seen many. Deal with it folks! Leave the area if it's bothering you... 

19 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Awful.

I have been asked in the past to fill out dubious "waivers" for "emotional support pets" by patients. Not true service dogs for vision loss, seizure detection, etc., just basically pets for people with anxiety, depression, etc.  I politely refuse, but always at the risk of a negative CGCAHPS score (patient review of their physicians) which luckily is not *yet* tied to my salary but is probably around the next bend.  So, if I decline the waiver, I could get in trouble or get docked pay for a bad review, but if I participate in this scam, it's dreadful to society in general (and personally I hate being around dogs!)

Thank you for doing the right thing. It is appreciated.

The problem is that if someone has enough time (and money) on their hands, they are able to shop around until they eventually find someone who will do their bidding.

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

.  I had a running joke with one of the head waiters about lobsters, and wanted to bring it to dinner, set it in the middle of the table, and have her ask the chef to cook it up for me.  :classic_smile:

I think that would be considered "support food".  😁

Edited by Texed
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Naughty&Nautical said:

I will stick up for the handicapped. It's a shame you bashers find the little things in life to ruin your holiday. Then expect full compensation. SMH

Those with disabilities have service dogs and they are covered under ADA rules and regulations.  Service Dogs are well trained, not like emotional support dogs that are not trained and are yappy, being fed off plates in the dining room, sitting on furniture, etc.  and that is what folks have an issue with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Even a PTSD dog has to perform a particular task.  It does not qualify as a Service Dog if it only provides emotional support.

Agreed.  A true service dog is one thing; an emotional support dog (or other animal) is a whole different story.

1 hour ago, Naughty&Nautical said:

I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever. The dog is biting no-one. Get over it! I was on a ship and a zenith member complained to every staff member about his runny nose when the service dog came into Michael's club. I thought it was funny- take a pill. Celebrity will do nothing about it. They pamper these dogs with plush fresh grass plots to go to the bathroom on. I think it's wonderful & I've seen many. Deal with it folks! Leave the area if it's bothering you... 

A true service dog is one thing.  This thread is not about service dogs.  It is about supposed emotional support animals and their legitimacy as well as abuse of same.  And even beyond that, it is not funny at all to have a bad allergy - I am appalled that you find someones suffering so enjoyable.  It is not so simple as taking a pill!  Some people have serious allergies to pet dander.  Some people with those allergies also have asthma which can be life threatening.  Pills are not without consequence and side affects as well.  A true service animal is rightly allowed in virtually any venue.  That said, if I were traveling with a service animal and I saw someone seriously adversely reacting to it, I think I would use a little common courtesy and make some effort to keep my animal away from that person.  Not saying avoiding the venue all the time, but how about going 50/50 - spend some time there but also allow some time for people to spend there (who PAID for the privilege as well) without dogs present.  Someone in that situation is expecting others to accommodate them; how about they return the favor and do a little extra to accommodate others?  If we all used a little human sympathy we could find a solution that would work for all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

A true service dog is one thing.  This thread is not about service dogs.  It is about supposed emotional support animals and their legitimacy as well as abuse of same.  And even beyond that, it is not funny at all to have a bad allergy - I am appalled that you find someones suffering so enjoyable.  It is not so simple as taking a pill!  Some people have serious allergies to pet dander.  Some people with those allergies also have asthma which can be life threatening.  Pills are not without consequence and side affects as well.  A true service animal is rightly allowed in virtually any venue.  That said, if I were traveling with a service animal and I saw someone seriously adversely reacting to it, I think I would use a little common courtesy and make some effort to keep my animal away from that person.  Not saying avoiding the venue all the time, but how about going 50/50 - spend some time there but also allow some time for people to spend there (who PAID for the privilege as well) without dogs present.  Someone in that situation is expecting others to accommodate them; how about they return the favor and do a little extra to accommodate others?  If we all used a little human sympathy we could find a solution that would work for all.

"

• Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility."  laws are laws. 

"

• Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility."  laws are laws. 

Do you realize that this discussion is not about Service Dogs?

It is about emotional support dogs.

• Like 3

"

There is a valid need for service dogs. No one is talking about that here. A poofy dog in a pink stroller was the subject of the OP.

The subject of the thread is the abuse of the term emotional support animal by some who use a loose definition of the term to bring along a pet instead of providing adequate care for it at home and not intended to include truly necessary service animals or ESA.  When people abuse the loopholes to bring aboard a pet for no other reason than they love said pet is the subject of this thread. Those people are putting their own selfish desires above the needs of fellow passengers. I haven't seen anyone on this thread object to a true working animal.

• Like 1

"

Nowhere in my post (or previous posts) do I ever, not once, state that people using service animals should be denied access or refused service.  Never.  In fact I specifically state, "A true service animal is rightly allowed in virtually any venue".  So if you're going to argue a point, please take the time to make sure you read what is actually being said.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Naughty&Nautical said:

Clearly it’s a service dog and that’s what most of you can’t accept. Live in denial. It happens 😉 

What do you see in the original post that leads you to conclude it’s a service dog? The lack of a vest, that it’s in a stroller, or the constant yapping? 

It is clearly NOT a service dog. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2018 at 8:24 AM, Bo1953 said:

While I understand how 'distressing' this situation can possibly be, I would like to know how often you have encountered  this passenger and/or Service Animal? This one (1) time or more frequently?

How long were they in the shopping arcade where you initially encountered this 'issue'? Do they eat in your dining room within ear shot of your table? What about the theatre? The pool area? OVC?

If barking is often and in more than the one (1) venue for extended period of time (7+ minutes), then a chat with the Hotel Director is in order, otherwise....

If it is, so far, this one (1) time, not sure how it could be distressing, yet since you are at best in the middle of your sailing, there will be more time to let us know about the number of times they have distressed and disrupted the sailing.

While certainly most Service Animals (and passengers without SA's) will conform to many of our ideas and ideals for sailing, there are times when these dreams do get shattered and must be addressed.

Continue to enjoy your sailing.

bon voyage

As far as I am concerned 1 time is too many.  Recently a woman was kicked off a Frontier flight - she has a therapy squirrel!  In reading the story there was a link yo a site that, for a fee, would connect you to a "Dr." who would certify you need the support animal.

43 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

Would this support animal be allowed on a commercial airplane?  Where is  Common Sense and what about the health & feelings of your fellow passengers?

Or is it all about me.

Airlines have different rules regarding which do allow support animals which as many have mentioned is what this thread is about.  

Service animals are different and no one in this thread is complaining about service animals.   The dogs described earlier are not service animals no matter what a certain poster said.

These so called support animals are becoming more prevalent on cruise ships and that is what is causing the problem.  

Edited by dkjretired

On 10/28/2018 at 12:24 PM, Bo1953 said:

While I understand how 'distressing' this situation can possibly be, I would like to know how often you have encountered  this passenger and/or Service Animal? This one (1) time or more frequently?

How long were they in the shopping arcade where you initially encountered this 'issue'? Do they eat in your dining room within ear shot of your table? What about the theatre? The pool area? OVC?

If barking is often and in more than the one (1) venue for extended period of time (7+ minutes), then a chat with the Hotel Director is in order, otherwise....

If it is, so far, this one (1) time, not sure how it could be distressing, yet since you are at best in the middle of your sailing, there will be more time to let us know about the number of times they have distressed and disrupted the sailing.

While certainly most Service Animals (and passengers without SA's) will conform to many of our ideas and ideals for sailing, there are times when these dreams do get shattered and must be addressed.

Continue to enjoy your sailing.

bon voyage

I don’t.  believe I said I was distressed when finding myself in the same place as this dog. But to answer one of your questions FYI, I have encountered the dog in the stroller several times. Yesterday while having lunch, said dog was being pushed from the outdoor eating area of the Oceanview to the elevators. When leaving the Oceanview, a passenger on a scooter had to wait for another elevator because the dog stroller took up the space where to scooter could have been. 

If this dog is indeed not a legitimate service dog, it is as distressing to me as people who illegitimately park in handicapped spaces or illegitimately take an accessible stateroom to get a larger cabin at a regular cabin rate. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Naughty&Nautical said:

"

Just to clarify - no one is criticizing service dogs!

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

What do you see in the original post that leads you to conclude it’s a service dog? The lack of a vest, that it’s in a stroller, or the constant yapping? 

It is clearly NOT a service dog. 

Just an FYI, there is nothing in the law which requires a service dog to have a vest.  

30 minutes ago, jasm8449 said:

I don’t.  believe I said I was distressed when finding myself in the same place as this dog. But to answer one of your questions FYI, I have encountered the dog in the stroller several times. Yesterday while having lunch, said dog was being pushed from the outdoor eating area of the Oceanview to the elevators. When leaving the Oceanview, a passenger on a scooter had to wait for another elevator because the dog stroller took up the space where to scooter could have been. 

If this dog is indeed not a legitimate service dog, it is as distressing to me as people who illegitimately park in handicapped spaces or illegitimately take an accessible stateroom to get a larger cabin at a regular cabin rate. 

Okay, I mis-read your 'concerns' about the passenger and animal, yet now I know until you have more information about both and if they do not conform to the 'policy' then you will be distressed. Fine line to me and only me, I believe.

By all rights you can be stressed out by this situation for sure, no argument from me about your position.

I Am so sorry that the stroller took up so much space in the elevator that a person on the scooter would have to wait for another elevator to arrive in order to get to the floor desired. I have encountered times aboard when there was someone on a scooter with other passengers that I had to wait for the next elevator or take the steps to the deck I wanted to get to when I did not want to wait.

As for the other points you make, yes there will always be bad actors around taking advantage or perceptively so which will tick off many individuals.

Since this is aggravating you, a trip to conference with the Hotel Manager and offending passenger w/animal in tow is in order. I believe then you can report back on CC what the results were, how it was handled and your satisfaction with the resolution or not.

I trust you can continue to enjoy your sailing without further issues with the passenger and its' dog or get a resolution to the concern aboard while you are still aboard.

bon voyage

Also, I have witnessed on Silly once where a scooter ran someone over to get into the elevator, so bad were the injuries, we had to take him to the Medical office, but no worries the scooter rider has rights to the right of way, too.