Yappy Dog in Stroller on Reflection

jasm8449

I for one do feel that some people require a service dog and would not want that taken away from them. However people like this will ruin it for those who really need one.  In this case I have been on two ships with this women with the dog in the pink stroller.  If that dog is a service dog then I am a lamppost or what ever word you want to use. The dog doesn't behave. Barking, feed the dog at the table etc ... Many people on both cruises have complained but to no avail.

Norma

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

I heard that therapy elephants can be unruly at times.

T

Not nearly as unruly as I can be without him.....Feeding him peanuts calms me down, especially when others have to clean up the mess :).  And yes, I am messing you you all but still trying to point out the abuses of the whole service animal thing.  

11 minutes ago, h20cruzer said:

I for one do feel that some people require a service dog and would not want that taken away from them. However people like this will ruin it for those who really need one.  In this case I have been on two ships with this women with the dog in the pink stroller.  If that dog is a service dog then I am a lamppost or what ever word you want to use. The dog doesn't behave. Barking, feed the dog at the table etc ... Many people on both cruises have complained but to no avail.

Norma

I agree and in some cases I think the owners get away with it because they are VIPs, maybe very large stockholders, very, very frequent cruisers or they know or are related to someone high up.

Edited by dkjretired

Unfortunately, all the cruise line can ask is what service the dog provides. Can't ask for papers (other than verifying that the animal has the appropriate vaccinations and whatever paperwork is needed for each country). I love my dog, but when we next cruise, she will enjoy her time at the kennel.

• Like 1

This whole support dog thing is completely out of hand.  I was just on a cruise where a woman had some sort of small dog with her.  She carried it with her as she browsed the food available.  Disgusting.  Then she set it down on the couch while she proceeded to consume what she had selected.  What about the next unsuspecting cruiser who happens to be allergic to dog dander who happens to sit on that couch?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, all the cruise line can ask is what service the dog provides. Can't ask for papers (other than verifying that the animal has the appropriate vaccinations and whatever paperwork is needed for each country). I love my dog, but when we next cruise, she will enjoy her time at the kennel.

Again, if Royal can have a policy that only true service animals are allowed onboard, I would like to see other lines join in.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8816

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

Royal has banned the emotional support animals from cruises but has grandfathered requests made before August 2018.  Did we ever get a clarification if this also applied to Celebrity ships?

You're correct. Policy is fleetwide inclusive of Celebrity, and according to the press release "guests that already processed a request to bring their emotional support animal on or before July 30th, 2018, will be allowed to do so on their existing cruise."         

Just as an FYI Royal Caribbean International welcomes service dogs on all ships.* Please note we do not accept pets. 
A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability." Service dogs are not considered pets. 

Interesting subject and comments. Bottom line: the dog is question is definitely NOT a service dog, it is only a pet.

I have two adult Siberian Huskies. They are my pets and serve as therapy dogs for my Hospice patients on a weekly bases. They are extremely well mannered, love and seek out attention and make everyone, everywhere smile. Even so, I would NEVER assume it was my privilege to take them on a cruise with me and expect everyone to appreciate my decision and their presence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johhnnyt said:

You're correct. Policy is fleetwide inclusive of Celebrity, and according to the press release "guests that already processed a request to bring their emotional support animal on or before July 30th, 2018, will be allowed to do so on their existing cruise."         

Just as an FYI Royal Caribbean International welcomes service dogs on all ships.* Please note we do not accept pets. 
A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability." Service dogs are not considered pets. 

Please provide a link that shows this includes Celebrity, all the reporting i’ve Seen only includes RC cruise line.

• Like 1

I've discussed the Royal Caribbean policy with several Hotel Directors on Celebrity ships and they all said that it doesn't seem to be a problem on Celebrity. Complaints made on the ship and directly to Celebrity might indicate the opposite. Take the time to register a complaint if you notice a problem.

I'd be really interested in reading that as well. I love animals, and understand the need for true working service animals and even SA, but the abuse of the term by some doting pet lovers has truly gotten out of hand. (example the lady who tried taking her emotional support squirrel aboard an airplane)

1 hour ago, Orator said:

I've discussed the Royal Caribbean policy with several Hotel Directors on Celebrity ships and they all said that it doesn't seem to be a problem on Celebrity. Complaints made on the ship and directly to Celebrity might indicate the opposite. Take the time to register a complaint if you notice a problem.

I think they are just trying to weasel out of the question.  You would hope Celebrity would be proactive and follow Royal's lead and prohibit support animals before they become a bigger problem.

I should add that the lady, dog, stroller and noted behavior all look very familiar from a previous cruise. It had us scratching our heads. Happily, we never saw them in any of the dining venues on board, but would definitely have complained about the animal being at the table being fed table scraps as described. 

I tried to get an emotional support lobster on board Anthem of the Seas this week in a stop at Bar Harbor.  Security did not see the humor and confiscated it.  I had a running joke with one of the head waiters about lobsters, and wanted to bring it to dinner, set it in the middle of the table, and have her ask the chef to cook it up for me.  :classic_smile:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Orator said:

Some directors don't see a problem.  I had complained about a woman carrying a dog thru the buffet line and then fed the dog by placing the plate on the floor in the OceanView.  Staff who came over thought it was cute.  Dog had been dressed  and was carted about in a stroller.  Handmade sign indicating the dog was a Service Dog....

Edited by keesar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am getting fed up with this support dog (animal) baloney.  I'm sure there are some situations such as PTSD where there is truly a benefit.  

FYI, PTSD is a disability covered by the ADA rules and regulations for service dogs - they are not emotional support dogs.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Sorry but I'd much rather have this dog than some people that hang at the Martini bar for a couple of hours basically doing shots then thinking they are so funny too.  Talk about obnoxious......   And no, not all of them but quite a few.   

And don't get me started on some of the eating habits and hygiene of some fellow cruisers.  Give me the dog any day

Edited by Duanerice1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

While I understand how 'distressing' this situation can possibly be, I would like to know how often you have encountered  this passenger and/or Service Animal? This one (1) time or more frequently?

How long were they in the shopping arcade where you initially encountered this 'issue'? Do they eat in your dining room within ear shot of your table? What about the theatre? The pool area? OVC?

If barking is often and in more than the one (1) venue for extended period of time (7+ minutes), then a chat with the Hotel Director is in order, otherwise....

If it is, so far, this one (1) time, not sure how it could be distressing, yet since you are at best in the middle of your sailing, there will be more time to let us know about the number of times they have distressed and disrupted the sailing.

While certainly most Service Animals (and passengers without SA's) will conform to many of our ideas and ideals for sailing, there are times when these dreams do get shattered and must be addressed.

Continue to enjoy your sailing.

bon voyage

I think this is a healthy attitude.  The emotional support dog thing has been totally abused in my opinion and it is easy to get irritated.  But it is still better to ignore foolish behavior if you can.  

38 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

Sorry but I'd much rather have this dog than some people that hang at the Martini bar for a couple of hours basically doing shots then thinking they are so funny too.  Talk about obnoxious......   And no, not all of them but quite a few.   

And don't get me started on some of the eating habits and hygiene of some fellow cruisers.  Give me the dog any day

I'll choose neither the dogs nor the fellow cruisers to whom you refer. Yet another reason to request a table for my ESH (Emotional Support Husband) and me.😜

• Like 3