notarised letters for a 16 year old

shucks

HI... hoping to take my 16 year old grand daughter on a cruise next July. Just been informed that I need a notarised letter of consent from her mother, my problem is that my daughter does not have a current passport and does not drive.   Any suggestions as to how we proceed welcome. My grandaughter does travel abroad with school and army cadets without notarised letters but aware that cruise companies require this  just getting a little overwhelmed by the complications.

How to proceed.  Simple.  Get the notarized letter.  It's not negotiable.  Would you like to pay for the cruise only to learn at the port that she will be denied boarding?  What would you do then?  She can't go.  You'll have to arrange travel home for her.  You'll have to go home with her.  Lots of expense.  

Contact the cruise line and get an example of the letter you need to have.  You've got nine months.  

It seems that you have plenty of time to procure government ID for your daughter.  Get started on it now, and that process should be completed in time for her to carry it and the letter to a notary public.

I'm guessing you are in England.  Since I am not, I am not aware of what options are available to provide her with proof of identification.

In the United States, the state departments of motor vehicles can provide government-issued ID cards for people who do not drive.

You say she does not have a "current" passport.  Does she have an expired passport?  In the United States expired passports can be easily renewed as long as it is done within 18 months of expiration.  This may not be an option in England.  However, there is still plenty of time for her to apply for and obtain a new passport.

You have plenty of time as long as you start immediately.

1 hour ago, shucks said:

HI... hoping to take my 16 year old grand daughter on a cruise next July. Just been informed that I need a notarised letter of consent from her mother, my problem is that my daughter does not have a current passport and does not drive.   Any suggestions as to how we proceed welcome. My grandaughter does travel abroad with school and army cadets without notarised letters but aware that cruise companies require this  just getting a little overwhelmed by the complications.

Not sure I understand the complications.

Here in the States it’s easy to get a notarized letter. You type up the letter. Go to your bank which has a notary, you sign, or the daughter signs the letter in front of the notary.

All the notary is doing is legally verifying that the signature is real and valid.

The purpose of this letter is to try and stop or reduce child abduction and/or child sex slave trade. This letter provides proof that you have the child’s mother’s approval to take the child out of the country for the specified timeframe.

A few years ago, I tried to take my daughter into Canada for a day trip. Got stopped at the border because of no letter from her mom. Good for Canada and the authorities. 

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

Here in the States it’s easy to get a notarized letter. You type up the letter. Go to your bank which has a notary, you sign, or the daughter signs the letter in front of the notary.

All the notary is doing is legally verifying that the signature is real and valid.

The purpose of this letter is to try and stop or reduce child abduction and/or child sex slave trade. This letter provides proof that you have the child’s mother’s approval to take the child out of the country for the specified timeframe.

A few years ago, I tried to take my daughter into Canada for a day trip. Got stopped at the border because of no letter from her mom. Good for Canada and the authorities. 

The notary also verifies the identity of the person signing...by forms of ID, typically a drivers license. That it really is Joe Smith signing Joe Smith's name.

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

The problem is that the notary has to swear, under penalty of perjury, that the signatory of the letter is known to him/her (the notary public).  Typically, the notary asks to person to show government issued ID.  It sounds like the OP's daughter does not have that ID.

You can get an ID from the DMV without a driver's license.  A school ID from a PUBLIC school (which is backed by the government) is fine, too, if it has a photo.  Her BC and a letter from the parents is also needed.  Any bank has a notary.

2 hours ago, shucks said:

Where is the cruise, if doing a cruise from US and returning to same port she does not need a passport, only a birth certificate. Notarized letter as permission to travel is easy, school IDs are fine but as someone said make sure you have permission to treat in an emergency.

sounds like the G Daughter has  I.D. but her mother does not   so getting  a notorized letter  without some form of  I.D.  is the issue

To the OP  do the NHS  cards in the UK have photos ?

that would prove  her identity 

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

sounds like the G Daughter has  I.D. but her mother does not   so getting  a notorized letter  without some form of  I.D.  is the issue

To the OP  do the NHS  cards in the UK have photos ?

that would prove  her identity 

Thanks for all advice so far. To clarify the cruise is UK to Norway ,my grand daughter has a passport and is 16. The issue is obtaining a notarised letter without her mother having to go to the trouble of renewing per passport. 

3 hours ago, shucks said:

Thanks for all advice so far. To clarify the cruise is UK to Norway ,my grand daughter has a passport and is 16. The issue is obtaining a notarised letter without her mother having to go to the trouble of renewing per passport. 

she does not need a passport to get something notarized.., only a government issued photo ID.   here in the Colonies, we can go to the DMV and get  such an ID for a lesser cost than a driver's license.  how does she prove identity for  everyday things such as voting or  medical  appointments?  

OP is talking about a cruise leaving from UK. Advice about IDs from DMV, schools, notarizing at the bank, etc. don’t make a lot of sense. These are options for US cruisers. 

I would advise checking with the cruise line to find out exactly what is needed when sailing from UK.  The laws and rules could be totally different.  Also, if a travel agent is involved they should be able to provide assistance. 

Sorry registered on here few years back thought it mainly covered UK.

Thanks again for everyone who tried to help. Flying to Norway and touring round looks increasingly like a good alternative, bizarrely airline confirms that I would not need notarised permission.

11 hours ago, spookwife said:

Surely your daughter has some form of government issued photo ID that proves her identity.  That’s what she needs in order to anything notarized.  

No, why would she? Her passport expired some time ago and Ill health means she will not be traveling abroad anytime soon. I could understand if my granddaughter was younger but at 16.

I have to use my drivers license at least once of month as ID. Between buying items online for in store pickup, ot taking my kids to non primary doctors, I always have it handy. I can’t imagine it would be difficult to get a government ID that is not a passport.

I think we’re all getting confused about your daughter needing a passport.  Of course your granddaughter is going to need a passport to cruise from the UK, and apparently she already has one, right?  

Do you need the letter of consent from your granddaughter’s parents in order to take her out of the country?  That’s a different issue.  If you’re cruising on an American orientated line like Royal Caribbean, they toss around terms like notarised documents very lightly.  It’s easy to get a document notarised in the USA, and the charge is very nominal$10 or so.  In the UK, notaries are very scarce indeed, and very expensive when you do find one.  The charge is about £75 or more, and they mostly sign legal documents required to be sent to the USA for business transactions or similar.  

I’d phone the cruise line, and see what they advise.  Grandparents in the UK take minor grandchildren cruising all the time, without recourse to expensive documents and processes, so they must have a procedure in place.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, shucks said:

No, why would she? Her passport expired some time ago and Ill health means she will not be traveling abroad anytime soon. I could understand if my granddaughter was younger but at 16.

if she  has an old passport   that would probably  be good enough for her to  have a letter notorized   for you to take  your G daughter out of the country 

some bank managers my be authorized  to sign such a letter confirming I.D.  is legit

It may not even be an issue in the UK

In some parts of the world  it is  precaution against  child abduction

Call the cruise line  & ask for  a supervisor  & ask if the letter is needed

you should have some sort of  letter that you can speak for the G daughter in case  medical care is required

• Thanks 1