Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

What will happen to vegetation in Central Park in the winter?

I also just got off Anthem, and the way I understood it, was Anthem will be here in the winter, Oasis and another ship will be here in the late spring, summer and early fall.  (April-October) Just like Adventure is here in the summer with Anthem.  The second ship could be doing Bermuda and New England.  Maybe they will bring some more 9-12 night cruises in the Spring-Fall for Oasis.  We'll find out soon enough.

22 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

IDK, but it would be cool to see fall foliage in Central Park.

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, mcutro said:

I am right. I asked the captain in front of everyone in Two70 and he confirmed it. It will be a retractable stack to get under the bridge. 

Not saying that this is true or not however it’s well known that Captains have given out incorrect information in the past.

20 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

But correct me if I'm wrong but Oasis can't dock in Bermuda which is a serious money maker for RCI? Also can't dock in any of the Canada/New England cruise ports either? What is this ship going to do, sit in Cape Liberty for people to visit for a few hours at a time? I'm confused.

Bar harbor tenders, Portland can take oasis class, I believe Boston can take oasis can’t they?

On 11/19/2018 at 12:57 PM, twangster said:

Miami and Port Everglades are pretty close.  Do they compete with each other?  Two ships in Bayonne compete with each other.  Moving one ship down the coast a little wouldn't change the market in a big way.  

Developing an entire cruise port from scratch is a lot different than building a new terminal at an existing port.  Since we are playing this silly game, it would make equal sense to consider Boston.

Norfolk is a better choice. 

On 11/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, jptoz said:

The new york area market is the largest in the U.S. If Royal can put an Oasis Class there they will.  Will it work in the winter, no way. But May- October why not. I do believe  Cape Liberty will  get  a new Quantum or Anthem back. And   a icon class after that. 

Define the NY market. How many miles out?

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Might be fun to observe but not participate in an Oasis class tender port.

I dont see why it's that hard.  They have 4 points of passenger departure.  Use them all. Easy to add shore based tenders

59 minutes ago, dswallow said:

NYMetro.PNG.d853db4ef4f92a58a1e57e6a65a09df6.PNG

The New York - Newark - Jersey City Metropolitan Statistical Area had a 2017 population of 20,320,876 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area#Metropolitan_Statistical_Area

To me that is to narrow a scope.  The drive in population would likely be between 300 and 500 mile radius.  An easy days drive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I dont see why it's that hard.  They have 4 points of passenger departure.  Use them all. Easy to add shore based tenders

Looked at the Oasis class schedules, did not see any tender ports, so it appears the next one will be the first one.  Generally not a good idea to be a passenger the first time a ship does something new.  I did notice the Spectrum will be making a tender stop in the Philippines at Ilocos.  I will be about a half hour away, plan to go to the port and take in the festivities.  I do believe it is the first time for this port.  Currently asking over $1,300 each for a 7 day cruise out of Shanghai in an inside cabin.  Spectrum scheduled to stop in Ilocos two more times, but those cruises are even more expensive.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:55 PM, HBE4 said:

Agreed.

Heck, raising the V-N bridge would be easier and cheaper then building a brand-new deep sea port for cruising only, where non exist today.😉

It took them 100 years to open up the 2nd Avenue subway. They have been working on expanding Grand Central Station to accommodate the Long Island Rail Road for years and it has now been extended to 2022. Donald Trump couldn’t even build a Restaurant at Jones beach where at restaurant previously existed. The only way a Bridge is being rebuilt is if it is unsafe and they have been doing construction to maintain the VN bridge so it’s not going anytime soon. It would take Royal Caribbean years and a ton of money  for them to cut through the red tape to dredge anything in NY or NJ.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Good in theory but the ship is almost always the wind and wave break/barrier  for the tender side if the ship.  So unless the Seas and calm with no wind they can only safely use on side of the ship, reducing it from 4 to 2.

Even with 4 I still wouldn’t want to be involved in that tender ride. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Good in theory but the ship is almost always the wind and wave break/barrier  for the tender side if the ship.  So unless the Seas and calm with no wind they can only safely use on side of the ship, reducing it from 4 to 2.

Even with 4 I still wouldn’t want to be involved in that tender ride. 

Someone told me it had to do with the escalator, but your reasoning is sound

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

To me that is to narrow a scope.  The drive in population would likely be between 300 and 500 mile radius.  An easy days drive.

Totally agree.  On the East Coast Board we get driving questions from all over.  Lots of Canadians drive down to cruise from Cape Liberty.  Folks come from all of New England, Upstate New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and points South as well (choosing Anthem over Grandeur).  I live in the Boston area and consider Cape Liberty my home port.  For a 12 day winter cruise it costs me less to take the train down and get a hotel than to pay for tolls and parking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

Looked at the Oasis class schedules, did not see any tender ports, so it appears the next one will be the first one.  Generally not a good idea to be a passenger the first time a ship does something new.  I did notice the Spectrum will be making a tender stop in the Philippines at Ilocos.  I will be about a half hour away, plan to go to the port and take in the festivities.  I do believe it is the first time for this port.  Currently asking over $1,300 each for a 7 day cruise out of Shanghai in an inside cabin.  Spectrum scheduled to stop in Ilocos two more times, but those cruises are even more expensive.

Oasis class has been around for 10 years without tendering.  There is no reason to think that they would start now.  They will adjust adjust the itineraries to ports that do not require tendering just as they do when they sail the med.

4 minutes ago, 138east said:

Totally agree.  On the East Coast Board we get driving questions from all over.  Lots of Canadians drive down to cruise from Cape Liberty.  Folks come from all of New England, Upstate New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and points South as well (choosing Anthem over Grandeur).  I live in the Boston area and consider Cape Liberty my home port.  For a 12 day winter cruise it costs me less to take the train down and get a hotel than to pay for tolls and parking.

Some of us even drive all the way to Florida.  Driving to New York is like going to the corner store.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Define the NY market. How many miles out?

If you figure a 3 hour drive to be reasonable for most people, which is about 150 or so miles, the area in that circle would include:

Most of New York

All of N.J.

All of Connecticut

All of Rhode Island

Large portion of Pennsylvania

Portions of Delaware, D.C. and Maryland

If you were to extend that area based on taking a flight to Florida which includes pre-flight and flight time and other time spent at airports to let's say 6 hours total, the total area reaches out to 300 miles (which to us is no big deal and we have sailed from Baltimore may times).  

If you stay within a 150 mile area of Fort Lauderdale you will still be well into Florida..

14 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I can just see Central Park after pulling into the NY Harbor during a Nor-Easter with 30 mile an hour winds and up to 2 or 3 inches of snow falling per hour..

I hope the crew has a snow blower or two and a lot of shovels.

As to the vegetation, when we sailed the Silhouette on its cruises from Jersey they had the lawn covered in plastic for the first day and a half to protect it from the freezing temperatures.

Oasis would most likely do a 9-day itinerary with St. Martin, San Juan and Labadee as the main ports. This is similar to the current Anthem 9-day itinerary .

The only question would be a what replaces Bermuda. Perhaps a Florida port or Falmouth?  I doubt they would add Perfect Day @Coco Cay and have 2 private ports in the same sailing, would they?

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Also, can you only have 9 day sailings? Or do you have to alternate with a 5-day?

For the 5-day sailings, I guess it would be Florida ports and Coco Cay.

5 day sailings are typically Bermuda - Boarding day, 1 day down, 2 days in Bermuda, 1 day back.  

50 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I can just see Central Park after pulling into the NY Harbor during a Nor-Easter with 30 mile an hour winds and up to 2 or 3 inches of snow falling per hour..

I hope the crew has a snow blower or two and a lot of shovels.

I hope those snow blowers are turbo-charged, you'll need a lot of HP to throw it 8 decks up and over. 😉

Maybe during the 2-month refresh, they'll figure out how to attach a giant removable glass dome. They shouldn't be too hard engineering wise? lol   (j/k)

• Like 1