Ship to Replace Anthem in Bayonne

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I hope those snow blowers are turbo-charged, you'll need a lot of HP to throw it 8 decks up and over. 😉

Maybe during the 2-month refresh, they'll figure out how to attach a giant removable glass dome. They shouldn't be too hard engineering wise? lol   (j/k)

If Oasis does come to Bayonne, it won't be here for the winter.  Anthem is coming back to do the winter sailings.

36 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Oasis would most likely do a 9-day itinerary with St. Martin, San Juan and Labadee as the main ports. This is similar to the current Anthem 9-day itinerary .

The only question would be a what replaces Bermuda. Perhaps a Florida port or Falmouth?  I doubt they would add Perfect Day @Coco Cay and have 2 private ports in the same sailing, would they?

I would love to dock at CocoCay for an overnight.

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Oasis would most likely do a 9-day itinerary with St. Martin, San Juan and Labadee as the main ports. This is similar to the current Anthem 9-day itinerary .

The only question would be a what replaces Bermuda. Perhaps a Florida port or Falmouth?  I doubt they would add Perfect Day @Coco Cay and have 2 private ports in the same sailing, would they?

The 7 day sailing visiting Nassau, Port Canaveral and CocoCay would work.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

It's amazing how the good old Grandeur can sail pretty much year round from Baltimore with itineraries that are varied in both length and destinations.

What we can see by the Royal UP stuff is they don't seem to have trouble filling anything but the $5,000 P/P suites on the Anthem and I don't know if moving it to other destinations will resolve the problem.  For up to $1,000 a night per person I would probably choose another line for a lot of reasons.

If RC doesn't bring a ship into Port Liberty in Feb. or Mar. for a 12 night or longer Caribbean in 2020, I guess we will just head on back to the Grandeur. We've sailed on her several times and aside from showing a little age the cruises have always been great. Just would be nicer to reduce our 6 hour drive to 3, but it would be no real problem. 

We tried NCL and won't do that again. 

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Some of us even drive all the way to Florida.  Driving to New York is like going to the corner store.

I'll vouch for that.  Many Canadians love the Jersey Shore stretching from exit 117 on the NJ Parkway to Cape May.  The drive from Bayonne to the beginning of the Shore area is 25-30 minutes and to Cape May/Wildwood is an additional 2 hours.

• Like 1

If Oasis was actually coming to Bayonne, it’s the best kept secret by the cruise line and the port.  I am hopeful it happens, but with itineraries released this upcoming week I would think something else (other than Anthems captain) would give some sort of clue but there has been no other talk.  Even Anthems return to Southampton was confirmed a few weeks before the itineraries released.  Same thing with Ovation going to Alaska.  Like I said, I’m hopeful but there’s not much smoke surrounding it.

Edited by jonesy4life9

8 minutes ago, jonesy4life9 said:

If Oasis was actually coming to Bayonne, it’s the best kept secret by the cruise line and the port.  I am hopeful it happens, but with itineraries released this upcoming week I would think something else (other than Anthems captain) would give some sort of clue but there has been no other talk.  Even Anthems return to Southampton was confirmed a few weeks before the itineraries released.  Same thing with Ovation going to Alaska.  Like I said, I’m hopeful but there’s not much smoke surrounding it.

...hence my initial posting of this topic back on November 8th. I was asking what people have heard and/or thought. Nobody really knows for certain, but we will find out this week!

Don't get me wrong because I would absolutely LOVE an Oasis class ship here in NJ, but it doesn't seem too practical. I would love, I mean love to sail on Oasis out of NJ. I would definitely book something on her if she comes up here.

5 hours ago, gaylemh said:

If Oasis does come to Bayonne, it won't be here for the winter.  Anthem is coming back to do the winter sailings.

Of course, I was being sarcastic with my removable glass dome comment.🙂   I figured Oasis would be doing a tag-team with Anthem or some other Royal ship.

Still, I wonder that with the expense, time and effort to install the retractable smokestacks, sailing 6 months out of NY/NJ doesn't seem like a great return on investment. I wonder if she'll move to another, previously inaccessible,  port during the winter months.

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

It took them 100 years to open up the 2nd Avenue subway. They have been working on expanding Grand Central Station to accommodate the Long Island Rail Road for years and it has now been extended to 2022. Donald Trump couldn’t even build a Restaurant at Jones beach where at restaurant previously existed. The only way a Bridge is being rebuilt is if it is unsafe and they have been doing construction to maintain the VN bridge so it’s not going anytime soon. It would take Royal Caribbean years and a ton of money  for them to cut through the red tape to dredge anything in NY or NJ.

Some projects do get done.  NY port authority just finished spending $1.5B to replace the Goethals bridge and $1.7B to raise the Bayonne Bridge 60ft.  Both projects were to accommodate larger cargo ships.  Raising VNB would be a much bigger deal and there's no way they'd do it just for Royal.

The Adventure will be doing the 5 night Bermuda/9 night Bermuda/Caribbean ITIN from

May-August 2020. The Adventure will also be doing the 9 day NE/Canada ITIN until Late October followed by the return of the Anthem, November 2020.

The Oasis could fit under the VZ with a Stack Modification but the ITIN would be limited to 

Bahamas/Florida.  The Oasis could dock in Halifax and may dock in Boston (if it’s the only

vessel in port).  Tender operations into Bar Harbor wouldn’t be possible and the Oasis Class

couldn’t fit into Portland or St. John’s, NB. The deployment schedule will be released 

on Tuesday evening, December 11 and open for C&A members on December 12. 

Oasis may not be able to pass under the VNB, but it certainly can dock in Bermuda.  The ability to dock is not limited by the width of the ship or length (Oasis is only 40 feet longer than the Anthem anyway), but by its draft. The Royal Dockyard is a former British Navy Base where heavy cruisers used to dock; their draft is about 27 feet, the draft of the Oasis is 29 feet.  The draft of an aircraft carrier is about 37 feet, but I don't know if any of them ever docked at the Royal Dockyard..

13 minutes ago, Sunfun68 said:

Oasis may not be able to pass under the VNB, but it certainly can dock in Bermuda.  The ability to dock is not limited by the width of the ship or length (Oasis is only 40 feet longer than the Anthem anyway), but by its draft. The Royal Dockyard is a former British Navy Base where heavy cruisers used to dock; their draft is about 27 feet, the draft of the Oasis is 29 feet.  The draft of an aircraft carrier is about 37 feet, but I don't know if any of them ever docked at the Royal Dockyard..

The ships length certainly could limit its ability to port. Each port would have a maximum ship length.  If Anthem is already at that then 40 feet longer would matter.

I have no idea what the maximum length is however without knowing that you cannot say that an extra 40 feet does not matter.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

There may be some ports where length matters, but certainly not most and absolutely not the Royal Dockyard where I have been a half dozen times.  As long as the end of the ship pointing toward the other berth does not extend beyond some designated point, the end of the ship pointing toward the sea could, theoretically, be infinitely longer as long as the depth continues at 30 something feet.

10 hours ago, boscobeans said:

If you figure a 3 hour drive to be reasonable for most people, which is about 150 or so miles, the area in that circle would include:

Most of New York

All of N.J.

All of Connecticut

All of Rhode Island

Large portion of Pennsylvania

Portions of Delaware, D.C. and Maryland

Parts of Westen Massachusetts too. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The ships length certainly could limit its ability to port. Each port would have a maximum ship length.  If Anthem is already at that then 40 feet longer would matter.

I have no idea what the maximum length is however without knowing that you cannot say that an extra 40 feet does not matter.

For Anthem, I believe part of the length issue had to do with the approach to Bermuda.  They have to follow a very specific path with some tight turns.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

For Anthem, I believe part of the length issue had to do with the approach to Bermuda.  They have to follow a very specific path with some tight turns.

Thanks for the update.  I knew I had remembered reading about length issues with Anthem, just could not remember the specifics 

2 minutes ago, Sunfun68 said:

Puuleese!  The approach to Bermuda?  You are obviously not a boat person.

Boat person?  You might be a boat person, but we are talking about a ship.  There is a channel that must be followed going into Bermuda, why else do you think the ship takes such a strange path to get to the dock?  And to answer your next question, yes, I have been to Bermuda, three times in the last 18 months.

• Like 1

Yup, I remember that zig-zag path we took leaving Bermuda last summer. I was up in Northstar for part of it! The cruise director even talked about in his announcements.

I think I remember reading that the channel had to be dredged to fit Anthem before it could start sailing there a couple years ago.

My point being, these approaches are not dredged out like the Panama canal; they are considerably wider than the width of a large ship.  If the Anthem moves through these channels with ease, the Oasis at 60 feet wider at the water line, will also move through with ease.