Not the cruise line you want to cruise with

Sdockendorf

2 hours ago, jpcdds6 said:

I’m saying that IN THIS CASE, the right thing to do is grant a refund. I buy insurance too. All other carriers refunded their reservations.

I have to disagree with you. My 27 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. But we purchased insurance for our cruise (she is coming with us). That is why people purchase insurance. It doesn't matter why the people can't go, cancer, tumor, flu, death, fire.... Why should the cruise line cover them and not everyone? This is why they offer insurance. Insurance is not that expensive. I paid 550.00 for 6 people. I paid 12,000.00 for the cruise, what is another 550.00??? I am sorry about the OP's wife, as a mother watching her 27 year old, who was pregnant at the time, fight this disease, I know how hard it is. The bottom line, BUY INSURANCE. Praying for OP's full recovery

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Actually, the OP stated that they received the diagnosis in August. They never said that the cancellation attempt occurred in August. We don't know exactly when that occurred.

If this all had happened back in August, then why wait until November to create a CC account just to post a complaint about the policy? Were they not upset about the policy in August? In September? In October? 

Why now?

Like many complaints, I feel like important details are missing since we only hear one side of the story.

As is often the case with your posts, you've raised a very interesting question.

I had assumed that the cabin/suite category was such that they were in penalty once the diagnosis was confirmed, etc.  But right... why would OP not have complained back then? 

*IF* OP simply sat around for a few *months*... and at the last minute bothered to tell NCL that they needed to cancel on very short notice...???

*IF* that's the case, then OP purposefully/knowingly sat on that cabin/suite for a long time when perhaps it could have been re-sold.  AND they may have had at least a partial refund, and possibly a full refund depending upon cabin/suite category and exact timing :classic_ohmy:

(This does not change the fact that the POLICY STANDS FOR EVERYONE, or chaos about the policies - this policy and others - wouldn't be far behind.  "Why them and not me!???!!" would be claimed by more and more.)

Looking at NCL's cancellation policy/penalties, even if OP had the most restrictive fare (the highest categories, suites), and giving them time to absorb the news, etc., it appears they probably could have gotten 25% or 50% back... IF they hadn't waited until they were in 100% penalty timing.

GC

28 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

It's not a case of blaming NCL or their policies. All cruise lines have the same policies, as do airllines.It's not about policies, or having insurance or not. It's about compassion, and we all know NCL has none.

I am sure all cruise lines would do the same. That's why there is insurance. It is sad for the OP and my heart goes out to them for her illness, but it's a business. If they give everyone a refund because the didn't bother buying insurance they would not be able to stay in business. I would never book a cruise and not purchase insurance, I have seen this happen too many times. I bet the OP will never travel without insurance again. It's a hard lesson to learn. They are lucky they were able to get refund for other trips. Again, I wish them nothing but luck and good health, but next time don't forget the insurance

5 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

We booked this cruise as part of a back to back 2 week cruise with Symphony of the Seas being the other ship. We booked them both almost a year out. We were to sail 12/1/2-18. Then in August my wife and I found out she has breast cancer. So these cruises and a trip we had booked to an all inclusive in the Dominican had to be cancelled. EVERYONE with the exception of NCL refunded the money had put down on these trips. Delta, Barcelo and Royal Caribean all returned our deposits or refunded our tickets. We repeatedly requested NCL to at least give us a credit for a future cruise, no was the answer, nothing. We cruise often, and on NCL three times prior to booking this cruise. We also paid for their cruise next plan which will not use because how can you do business with a company like this? Bottom line there are a lot of great cruise lines out there, why choose NCL? 

I am so sorry to hear about your wife: best wishes to her for a full recovery. I also am shocked to hear about NCL not refunding your deposit? I have never heard of anything life this from them or anyone else if the cancellation has been prior to final payment. Of course your insurance, which I assume you have will pay for the money you are out. As for your not using your future cruise certificate that is your choice, but has nothing to do with NCL. Of course I understand how you feel. It also interesting you have done so much cruising in the past and have just discovered cruise critic. 

Now that I re-read all the posts and OP, your second one: I am more confused. You didn't ask for a refund, just a credit toward another cruise. Did you ask for the credit prior to the final payment date? If not, I am sorry, but I don't understand what you expected. As for RCI giving you back your money that is a shock, as most lines, if this occurs after final payment will not. I think you can understand. As others have mentioned, if they did return money or give credits there would be no reason for anyone taking insurance. I do understand, under the pressure you are right now, things may look worse then they are. Hopefully you will realize this as time goes by.

People, you must read the whole thread.

The OP posted they found out about the cancer in August and immediately canceled.

OP also states that a refund was not asked for, just a future cruise credit.

We definitely have not been given all the facts about the terms of the booking.

Edited by Homosassa

6 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

We booked this cruise as part of a back to back 2 week cruise with Symphony of the Seas being the other ship. We booked them both almost a year out. We were to sail 12/1/2-18. Then in August my wife and I found out she has breast cancer. So these cruises and a trip we had booked to an all inclusive in the Dominican had to be cancelled. EVERYONE with the exception of NCL refunded the money had put down on these trips. Delta, Barcelo and Royal Caribean all returned our deposits or refunded our tickets. We repeatedly requested NCL to at least give us a credit for a future cruise, no was the answer, nothing. We cruise often, and on NCL three times prior to booking this cruise. We also paid for their cruise next plan which will not use because how can you do business with a company like this? Bottom line there are a lot of great cruise lines out there, why choose NCL? 

So sorry about your wife cancer is no fun and I wish her a speedy recovery.

As for NCL - your final payment was due 120 day prior to the cruise (presuming it was 7 or more days and booked after Dec 18 2017)- which if it was the first of your B2B cruises would have been due in Aug. If you had canceled within 30 days of final payment you would have received 75% of your cruise fare back - no questions asked - the only way they would have kept it all is if you waited until 30 day prior to the cruise. RCL has a similar policy but final payment is not due until 90 day prior. Policies are policies and while most of us don't read them until we feel we have been wronged by the cruise line - we did agree to them when we made our purchase. So with RCL you agreed to a 90 day return policy and with NCL a 120 Day return policy. So if you had simply cancelled the NCL cruise - instead of asking for credit on a future cruise - you probably would have lost only that 25%.

Once you felt slighted by NCL you join Cruise Critics and complain about unfair treatment. You also admitted that you have cruised NCL in the past with no issues - did you read the contracts then? This situation is a perfect example of why one should have travel insurance.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

People, you must read the whole thread.

The OP posted they found out about the cancer in August and immediately canceled.

OP also states that a refund was not asked for, just a future cruise credit.

We definitely have not been given all the facts about the terms of the booking.

I’m still thinking that they didn’t book in the US, and thats why they’re not getting the deposit back.

2 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Have you booked with Delta? It’s offered prior to purchase with every flight.

No. Most of our flights are on Southwest, and since they are actually the nice airline when it comes to changing your plans, they must not offer it. When I last booked with another airline, this wasn't offered to me.

5 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

No. Most of our flights are on Southwest, and since they are actually the nice airline when it comes to changing your plans, they must not offer it. When I last booked with another airline, this wasn't offered to me.

American Airlines also asks if you want insurance.

2 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

That is the deal. we cancelled as soon as found out...months away from the actual cruise. we didn't ask for a refund just a credit towards a future cruise. NCL took our money, more than likely will resell our balcony mid ship room and take the gain of both. No we did not take insurance. 

You are entitled to between 50% and 75% of what you paid as a refund, IF you followed proper cancellation procedure. If NCL is not giving it to you you need to go higher up the chain.

Try contacting the president if NCL and ask if you can postpone your cruise until your wife is cleared for travel. There’s always s possibility. 

Otherwise, when you book a cruise, the responsible thing to do is to be aware of penalties. If the deposit is nonrefundable, that means you don’t get a refund. Your reason doesn’t have anything to do with it. 

Cancellation in August should have meant final payment wasn’t made, so only deposit is involved. If the NCL deposit was nonrefundable and the RCI deposit was, then RCI would give a refund. You haven’t said what your contract with Barcelo was, or the rules on your Delta  ticket. 

In any case, Delta, and probably Barcelo  have the same policy regarding nonrefundable funds.

cruise lines do not have the same ability to resell space that airlines and hotels do.  

My understanding is that airlines stopped honoring doctors’ letter for illness or bereavement because of the ability to present letters. However, a cruise line president has the authority to do it. 

I sincerely hope that by the middle of December your wife is able to travel and enjoy the cruise. 

Edited by jagsfan

Maybe it is time for an ombudsman to look at and find a resolution to this outside the purview of CC

with an eye to educating the Cruise public of how to do Cruising 101 without loss of money or cruise.

Suggest that the OP contact this source (LINK):

https://www.elliott.org/about-elliott-consumer-advocacy/

Fill in all the details - it just might make a major newspaper and get national attention which NCL right

or not would want to avoid bad press and show a compassionate side !

Specific LINK to NCL:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add material

28 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Maybe it is time for an ombudsman to look at and find a resolution to this outside the purview of CC

with an eye to educating the Cruise public of how to do Cruising 101 without loss of money or cruise.

Suggest that the OP contact this source (LINK):

https://www.elliott.org/about-elliott-consumer-advocacy/

Fill in all the details - it just might make a major newspaper and get national attention which NCL right

or not would want to avoid bad press and show a compassionate side !

Specific LINK to NCL:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

We recommend using company contacts and creating a paper trail before we will get involved.

6 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

That is the deal. we cancelled as soon as found out...months away from the actual cruise. we didn't ask for a refund just a credit towards a future cruise. NCL took our money, more than likely will resell our balcony mid ship room and take the gain of both. No we did not take insurance. 

If you cancelled between 109-116 days out your penalty should only have been 25%. At 105 days out it should have been 50%.  In either case, you were not out the total cost of the cruise.

I don't know you wife's case or condition...but I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago, October, and sailed 2 months later.  Obviously everyone is different but if she is feeling up to it you may be able to salvage that part of your trip.

Edited by April42749

11 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

OK, I will be the Ass$%*e   What makes your issue any more or less important then any one else say, death of a sister, aunt, cousin, close friend, hairdresser - What about if any of those previously listed got injured?   At what point do you draw the line?  I can go yo my brother who is a doctor right now and have him write me a note saying pretty much anything I want, will that get me a refund, Credit etc?  What about my friend the Psycologist, can he write me a note that I was traumatized by the election a few weeks ago and cant leave my house because I am shell shocked.  Again where do you draw the line.   What about people like me who have had the forethought to buy insurance for a decent penny, what should I bother if I am treated just like you.   I am so sick of these entitled threads where people think their issues are so important that the rules they agreed to should be changed.  Ok rant over

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So sorry about your wife’s illness. Seems for someone who has cruised a few times with NCL it’s odd that this is your first post/rant. I am shocked and in awe that United airlines gave you a refund without trip insurance. I needed to send a death certificate when my mom died and even then they wanted to just give me a voucher with a cancellation penalty. 

Barcelo refunds up to 7 days of your stay, most DR hotels do 

Edited by mommyto2girls

9 hours ago, jpcdds6 said:

I’m saying that IN THIS CASE, the right thing to do is grant a refund. I buy insurance too. All other carriers refunded their reservations.

Absolutely not. THIS CASE is no different than others who had medical issues come up. Buy travel insurance 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

As for NCL - your final payment was due 120 day prior to the cruise (presuming it was 7 or more days and booked after Dec 18 2017)- which if it was the first of your B2B cruises would have been due in Aug. If you had canceled within 30 days of final payment you would have received 75% of your cruise fare back - no questions asked - the only way they would have kept it all is if you waited until 30 day prior to the cruise. RCL has a similar policy but final payment is not due until 90 day prior. Policies are policies and while most of us don't read them until we feel we have been wronged by the cruise line - we did agree to them when we made our purchase. So with RCL you agreed to a 90 day return policy and with NCL a 120 Day return policy. So if you had simply cancelled the NCL cruise - instead of asking for credit on a future cruise - you probably would have lost only that 25%.

Thank you for your detail on the deadlines.  I travel mainly on Royal and found it very unbelievable that they would refund anything post final payment.  Plenty of posts like this on their forum too.

I am sympathetic with he OP as I have had to cancel several cruises due to having a child with special needs and not knowing ever if I am actually going to be able to go on any cruise when booked.  As a result I always buy insurance and often lose 25% of my money as cancel for any reason only refunds 75%.  That being said, the one thing that the cruise lines should be required to do is attempt to resell the room and refund the money received for the resale up to the purchase price.  Just like in a situation where someone breaks a lease and the landlord has duty to attempt to mitigate its damages by re-renting the property, the cruise line should be required to try and re-sell that cabin and refund any money that it receives in order to minimize the loss for the customer.  If the cabin cannot be sold then the loss should be the customers but there is no harm to the cruise line if it resells it for the same price to refund the fare.The OP apparently gave notice of the cancellation at least a month prior to sailing, so NCL has time to try and resell it.  IF they can't then it is the customer that absorbs the loss, not them.  Just my thought on a equitable middle ground for both sides.