RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

53 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I received the email on a Lifted and Shifted cruise.  I was given a choice of five categories, ranging from $100 pp for a JS to $800 pp for a RS on the Mariner.  I am not interested because I have one of the corner aft balconies with the stripper pole, but I thought the minimums were quite low.  

We did not get the email, does that mean they won't let us bid yet? I went to the website directly.

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I received the email on a Lifted and Shifted cruise.  I was given a choice of five categories, ranging from $100 pp for a JS to $800 pp for a RS on the Mariner.  I am not interested because I have one of the corner aft balconies with the stripper pole, but I thought the minimums were quite low.  

its why I bid the minimum ($240) on a GS on upcoming cruise.  I have 1388 on the Adventure and I will only give that up for a GS.

• Like 2

Just got notified our Royal Up was accepted for Sunday on Odyssey of the seas. Moving from a balcony to a j3 junior suite. I THINK j3s have the one and a half bathrooms! Current j3 book on the website is nearly 4k more than what we paid for the balcony, and my bid was only $105 per person! 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, colesc15 said:

With the upgrade, how do you handle new luggage tags? When I login to the website, my old luggage tags are still listed in the docs

If they don't update in time for you to print off the new ones then they can print new ones for you when they check in your luggage at the port.

I realize this is a general opinion question since no one knows for sure how the algorithm works but wanted some thoughts thoughts:

We get on board Oasis on Sunday, currently in a CLS. Earlier this week there were at least 2 different star class rooms were available to book (Ultimate Panoramic, 2BR Aqua). I have bids in on both of them as well as some others. I've seen 2 waves of people confirming their royal ups went through (looks like mostly Neighborhood balconies to Oceanview balconies, and then a second wave the next day of Oceanview balconies to either JS or 1 BR Grand Suite). All my bids show as pending, and no one else in our group (which I know is a small portion of the cruise), has seen any accepting or rejecting on their star class bids.

Does that mean:

- They're just waiting closer to sail?

- I should increase my bid because none are high enough for them to want to accept?

- Just keep waiting they're just taking their sweet time?

- Something else.

Thoughts are welcomed!

1 hour ago, ryanbarckley said:

I realize this is a general opinion question since no one knows for sure how the algorithm works but wanted some thoughts thoughts:

We get on board Oasis on Sunday, currently in a CLS. Earlier this week there were at least 2 different star class rooms were available to book (Ultimate Panoramic, 2BR Aqua). I have bids in on both of them as well as some others. I've seen 2 waves of people confirming their royal ups went through (looks like mostly Neighborhood balconies to Oceanview balconies, and then a second wave the next day of Oceanview balconies to either JS or 1 BR Grand Suite). All my bids show as pending, and no one else in our group (which I know is a small portion of the cruise), has seen any accepting or rejecting on their star class bids.

Does that mean:

- I should increase my bid because none are high enough for them to want to accept?

- Something else.

Thoughts are welcomed!

From my experience, "Pending" is usually "Accepted" bid.

3 hours ago, ryanbarckley said:

Does that mean:

- Something else

Thoughts are welcomed!

We board Anthem today (Sat). We are currently in JS and put in bids on higher suites, we still have 8 bids pending. I assume that means we are not getting anything (unless people don't turn up). Many others on our cruise are in a similar situation mostly waiting for upgrade to JS. A couple of days ago lots were upgraded to balconies, one or two to JS but not seen anyone say they had anything higher even though there were a few GS available.

8 hours ago, FireEMT978 said:

My "bet" is that you have at least 1 won. Now, they're just figuring out what is the best "Financial" decision for them.

I think they are waiting closer to sail dates.  If somebody books and pays the full fare would be better for the cruise line.  If I truly wanted the upgrade, I would increase my bid on those suites.  The fact that our Jan Oasis cruise fare isn't due until 30 days before sail date- makes me think they are waiting for more people who might pay retail.  The lesser cabins are certainly more available, and those would be the one's they would release first.

First time Royal Up bidder.  I bid on 6 cabins about a month prior to sailing.  10 days before sail, one cabin remains pending, and 5 turn to expired. I can’t modify anything.  I’d read this is likely “good news.”  No charge, no email.  Fast forward to 2 days before sailing, the 5 expired rooms go back to pending, and the 1 I thought I got changed to unavailable (also no longer shows as option to book).  They can all be modified again.  I’m thinking I was penciled in for the one type but it sold.  But now it’s night before cruise and I’ve heard nothing.  Everything shows pending and can be modified no charges no email.   There was tons of availability of these cabins I bid on just before they took the cruise offline today and I bid over minimum.  I’m so confused 🤔 has anyone seen this?  It almost seems like after what I think I was penciled in for sold they haven’t gone back to even look at my bids?  🤷‍♀️ 

6 hours ago, Cedarkins said:

I’m so confused 🤔 has anyone seen this?  It almost seems like after what I think I was penciled in for sold they haven’t gone back to even look at my bids?  🤷‍♀️ 

Welcome to CC.

You are confused because you are reading way too much into the details of Royal Up which virtually no one can really say how it works exactly. Look for the denial email sometime after sail away today.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

You are confused because you are reading way too much into the details of Royal Up which virtually no one can really say how it works exactly. Look for the denial email sometime after sail away today.

We have a saying in the legal profession that one should never ask how laws and sausages are made.  I'd add Royal Up results to that list as well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Finally the wait paid off, I got the upgrade from Balcony GTY to 2 BR Grand Suites for USD850 per person, I am not sure whether I bid too much or not. I bid USD 200 pp for JS, USD 400 for GS, USD 500 for 1BR GS with Large Balcony. Anyway I'm happy to get this suite since my 2 daughters can be together with us in the same stateroom. What will happen to the other unused stateroom? Can I get a refund for it? Please advise me. Thank you

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, donny_dc said:

Finally the wait paid off, I got the upgrade from Balcony GTY to 2 BR Grand Suites for USD850 per person, I am not sure whether I bid too much or not. I bid USD 200 pp for JS, USD 400 for GS, USD 500 for 1BR GS with Large Balcony. Anyway I'm happy to get this suite since my 2 daughters can be together with us in the same stateroom. What will happen to the other unused stateroom? Can I get a refund for it? Please advise me. Thank you

When is your cruise and what ship?

27 minutes ago, donny_dc said:

Anyway I'm happy to get this suite since my 2 daughters can be together with us in the same stateroom. What will happen to the other unused stateroom? Can I get a refund for it? Please advise me. Thank you

Are your two daughters currently booked into a separate cabin from you?  That's what this sounds like.  If they are in a separate cabin, they are not part of the Royal UP.  To add them to your 2 bedroom GS, you would have to reprice your cabin at today's prices for the 3rd and 4th person price, before canceling their cabin.  

And are you in the US, or elsewhere?  If elsewhere, the rules may be different.

Edited by barbeyg

17 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Are your two daughters currently booked into a separate cabin from you?  That's what this sounds like.  If they are in a separate cabin, they are not part of the Royal UP.  To add them to your 2 bedroom GS, you would have to reprice your cabin at today's prices for the 3rd and 4th person price, before canceling their cabin.  

And are you in the US, or elsewhere?  If elsewhere, the rules may be different.

From everything I have read in the past repricing is the only correct way to do this. Now you can go get extra key cards and the only person that might possibly know there are extra people in the room is the stateroom attendant, and they might not even know or care. If the suite benefits are important to you then you will have issues with your girls not being officially in your suite.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:56 AM, jean87510 said:

its why I bid the minimum ($240) on a GS on upcoming cruise.  I have 1388 on the Adventure and I will only give that up for a GS.

Loved that cabin!  I had that exact on in Dec. 2019.  It'd take a fair bit to get me to give it up. $240 on a GS would probably do it though 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donny_dc said:

Technically the other stateroom is still occupied by your daughters.  They do not have to stay there and can stay with you. It’s easy to get an extra key (or two) from guest services.  Depending on their age, the suite lounge will not have a problem with them coming in or being with you in any gold card areas. 

When we travel in a suite, we put the kids on an inside across the hall and it all works out. 

RoyalUp from a balcony to a suite will not change the crown and anchor points awarded. It will still be at the initial purchased class. So that part doesn’t matter. 

loved the 2 room suite!  Enjoy!

Edited by AustinCruise