Formal nite attire

topcruz

Tried to fiqure out how to do a seach with no luck.    Do you most men wear coat and tie for formal night or is long sleeve dress shirt and pants acceptable.  Don't want to carry coat and tie if not neeeded.  We still want to do MDR.  I know coat and tie not needed for buffet.

Celebrity no longer has formal nights. On the chic nights some men wear tuxedos (dinner jackets).  Some wear a business suit. Some wear a sports jacket. Some only a button down shirt, with or without ties.    You will see a little bit of everything in the main dining room on those nights.  Even a kilt or two.

We have been on two Celebrity Cruises this year (Infinity & Constellation).  For both I would say 75% to 80% did not wear any suit/ties.  Shirts without coats are prevalent.   Unless it has changed Celebrity's guidelines for Elegant Chic nights even includes designer jeans.  

When dining in Luminae (the suite restaurant on Celebrity ships) we have noticed time and again that most of the men who wear suits and ties there on Evening Chic nights are members of the restaurant's wait staff.

Edited by varoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It does (I understand) depend on whether you are sailing in Europe or out of the US - and to a certain extent on the time of year.  The colder it is outside the more folk wear jackets! European sailings tend to be slightly more formal - although that said not always!  Chic night is so difficult to define you'll look fine in pretty much anything.  If you don't want to bring a jacket then don't.

8 hours ago, topcruz said:

Tried to fiqure out how to do a seach with no luck.    Do you most men wear coat and tie for formal night or is long sleeve dress shirt and pants acceptable.  Don't want to carry coat and tie if not neeeded.  We still want to do MDR.  I know coat and tie not needed for buffet.

Less and less people dress up these days, I would say it’s now 50/50 on the equivalent of formal nights.

Looking forward to packing just a little less. I'll have quite enough needing to be prepared for two very different temperature zones - 28 celcuis in Buenos Airies and 8 in Ushuaia yesterday and all temps in between!

Celebrity (and RCI) have moved away from the formal attire suggestion some time ago, and smart casual slacks and polo or button down collared shirts for men is very common and acceptable,  I have left my jacket and tie at home on both lines for several years now.  Some still will get formally dressed as that is their preference. But less the tie and jacket, I always dress nicely and have not felt out of place in the least in any venue on any night.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We were delighted when Celebrity ditched formal nights about 4-5 years ago. There ate Chic nights seem to be a bit dressier than other nights. Women wear anything they want. Men question what they should wear. Most men do not wear formal attire or suits. Some wear sports jackets. Mostly men wear slacks with a collared shirt.  There doesn't seem to be much difference between casual and chic nights. It is your vacation. Wear what pleases you. I really like cruise lines that have gone to completely smart casual. 

If you read the Celebrity dress code you can't go wrong.

I was on the Reflection this time last year, we had 2 Chic Nights, the first sea day and the last sea day.

You will see a wide variety of dress on these nights.

The majority gentleman wore suits and ladies wore dresses.

I did see some men wear just a shirt and tie some wore just a collared shirt and women wore pant suits.

Our dining partner wore a Hawaiian shirt and slacks, very casual.

I wore a suit each of those nights, in my opinion its very nice to see people all dressed up in their best !

I did hear some people complain, almost every night, about how some people were dressed.

To their defense, the MDR staff did turn away people dressed in shorts, flip flops and sleeveless and collarless shirts.

The bottom line is that if you follow dress code you are ok.

• Like 1

From formal to dressy casual and everything in-between.  Whatever makes you happy and no one really cares except for the sleeveless t-shirts and torn jeans/shorts which are turned away at the door.  (And there always seem to be some who try to get in the dining room dressed like that).  More and more are opting for dressy casual, without a jacket (or tie).

56 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

If you read the Celebrity dress code you can't go wrong.

I did hear some people complain, almost every night, about how some people were dressed.

To their defense, the MDR staff did turn away people dressed in shorts, flip flops and sleeveless and collarless shirts.

The bottom line is that if you follow dress code you are ok.

I understand shorts, flip flops, sleeveless, etc., and the MDR staff did the right thing IMO in those cases.  But if it is within the suggested code of the cruise line, I don't understand people who complain about what other people would wear, apparently not believing it is up to some standard they must have.  Who cares and how can it possibly affect them?  They need to get over themselves!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I understand shorts, flip flops, sleeveless, etc., and the MDR staff did the right thing IMO in those cases.  But if it is within the suggested code of the cruise line, I don't understand people who complain about what other people would wear, apparently not believing it is up to some standard they must have.  Who cares and how can it possibly affect them?  They need to get over themselves!

Agree.👍

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

I agree with you totally leaveitallbehind !!!

Right now in CC I am getting grief from other CC members on how I tip.

Ignore it - I like your style.

My 12 nights on Silhouette start next Sunday and I'm leaving the tux and sport coat at home.   But on the Chic nights I will wear nice black shirt and black slacks and not give it anymore thought.   Will add some color on other nights.