Ship access during port calls

Dshier

During my previous cruises on Royal Caribbean, yes.  As long as you have your ship ID with you, you can come and go as you please.  Most/all ports will also require that you have photo ID to enter the port area to get to the ship so be sure to have that with you as well.

Once the ship is alongside and cleared by the local authorities, as announcement is normally made advising that passengers may go ashore. Some cruise lines in some port may give preference to passengers on ship's tours first.

If it is a tender port, read the information in the daily schedule with respect to whether the cruise line requires tender tickets and if required where to get them.

You will require your cruise card to scan off the ship and also to return. Any other documentation is at the discretion of the local authorities and is normally outlined in the daily schedule.

In many ports you can walk ashore unrestricted, returning to the ship as often as you want. However, in some ports - commercial ports, box boat terminals, etc. you must catch a shuttle bus to/from the port gate.

Yes, you are allowed off the ship when it is in port, but check your ships regulations for getting on and off (you need ID, etc), and also be sure you know what is allowed at each port. For example, some ports you can wander around on your own, some you need to be on a guided tour. Just make sure you know what to expect in each port before you get there.

5 hours ago, Dshier said:

Are you allowed on and off the ship during port calls?

You come and go as you want, as long as you are on board by the designated time. That is really the main reason many people cruise.

You need to get off the ship as soon as it docks. Once the ship is empty, it leaves the port so the crew can party. Then they dock again for the guests to get back on 🙂

Once docked, you are free to come and go as you please. If the port is a tender port, just wait for the next one to go.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dshier said:

No Problem you can return to the ship whenever you wish! 

At port stops the ship is sort of like being at a hotel ... go and come as you please.  :classic_cool:

12 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

You need to get off the ship as soon as it docks. Once the ship is empty, it leaves the port so the crew can party. Then they dock again for the guests to get back on 🙂

Once docked, you are free to come and go as you please. If the port is a tender port, just wait for the next one to go.

That is "tongue in cheek"....You do NOT have to get off the ship at any given time, or at all.  You MAY come and go as you please.  You will need your ship's key (on RCI, it's called your Seapass) to get off and on the ship.  You should also take a picture ID (most use their driver's license as it's the same size as your seapass and credit card....) with you.  Some ports require a photo ID to get back into the dock area.  It's rare that a "ship's excursion" is  needed at most ports...but there are a few (like in the Panama Canal) where it is required.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:21 AM, Dshier said:

Yes. Come and go as you please. Note that leaving early you will be amidst hoards of others trying to get to the beaches, whatever. And there may be prioritized departures depending on your status, whether you are on a ship’s tour etc. Coming back aboard you will need to line up to go through ship security. Minor nuisance but still not the same as walking in and out of a hotel at a beach resort.

13 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Minor nuisance but still not the same as walking in and out of a hotel at a beach resort.

It depends on the hotel. 😄

There a number of hotels I have stayed in that had security every time you entered the hotel.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:46 PM, 1025cruise said:

come on now....you have been a member of this website long enough to know that a sense of humor is NOT ALLOWED on here. Someone will get their shots in a know over this post. 

While generally you can come and go as you please, I did see in another thread yesterday about a possible exception I hadn't thought about.  The poster had spent time on the beach at Grand Turk and was returning some items to the ship with the intent to return to the beach.  Once onboard he was told he could not leave again since it was too close to departure (he didn't mention how much time was left in port).  Something to keep in mind that I hadn't seen addressed (or considered myself).

10 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

While generally you can come and go as you please, I did see in another thread yesterday about a possible exception I hadn't thought about.  The poster had spent time on the beach at Grand Turk and was returning some items to the ship with the intent to return to the beach.  Once onboard he was told he could not leave again since it was too close to departure (he didn't mention how much time was left in port).  Something to keep in mind that I hadn't seen addressed (or considered myself).

I’ve never heard of this. It must have been close to or after all aboard time in which case he had no business leaving again. I’ve certainly returned after an excursion and gone back out w an hour or so before all aboard to shop or go to a nearby restaurant.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:23 PM, sanger727 said:

I’ve never heard of this. It must have been close to or after all aboard time in which case he had no business leaving again. I’ve certainly returned after an excursion and gone back out w an hour or so before all aboard to shop or go to a nearby restaurant.

I'd never heard of it either.  The poster is CoWmAn (or something like that) and discussed it in a video he posted about GT.  He didn't say how much time was left when he boarded the ship and was refused getting off again, so I don't know if Carnival misspoke or he was too close to all aboard.