No immigrations checks at ports of call ?

cruise1sttime

First post. Yay !

So Royal Caribbean tells me that on the ports of call in the caribbean, there is no need to carry passport out of the ship. Just the seapass is enough.

I am confused how that is possible. You are entering another country right, so doesn't that country need to check your passport, visa etc. ?

Will be going on cruise from Miami, USA. Ports of call being in Bahamas, Honduras and Mexico.

Thanks in advance !

The short answer is no. These stays are measured in hours not days. Those ports don't want you standing in line for a passport stamp instead of spending your money in one of their shops. 

• Like 1

RCCL is correct.  In fact for a closed loop cruise out of Miami you do not even need a passport.  I always bring mine for identification on boarding the cruise, simpler than carrying BC and DL but I never carry it with me off the ship.  You will need your cruise card and should probably also carry a photo ID like your DL.  Others may leap in that they always carry their passports and that is okay but it is not a necessity.

Unlike  travel you may be used to in the rest of the world you will simply exit the ship and go off as you please.  Reentry to the ship will require your cruise card at at least 2  points,  the security perimeter and the ship itself.  It is at the perimeter that you may be asked for a photo ID but usually not in the Caribbean.

• Thanks 1

I would absolutely carry some form of photo ID off the ship - either DL or passport.  I know for certain that in Nassau you need to show that with the Seapass card in order to get into the port area, they want to be sure the person presenting the card is the person that's supposed to be presenting it.

• Like 1

The manifest is supplied to the port and immigration authorities well before you arrive.

They go over the information, and if there are any issues, they will ask that those people be held on board.  There are threads about this occurring in Canada with issues that prevent their entering Canada.

Also, most people get back on the ship, and if not, they notify the authorities, so not very likely that someone will sneak into the country.  Same reason, that some countries that require a visa for land or air entry, don't require on for cruise ship visit.

• Thanks 1

Coming into a country on a cruise is totally different than arriving by air, or for extended stays.  None of your ports require a passport from CRUISE passengers.  Since you should, however, always have ID on you, bring your DL ashore...it's the same size as your ship's key, so it's easier to carry.  Waterproof, too!

• Like 1

The days scheduled that they leave in your cabin each day will also list what you need to take with you off the ship.

It will also have a contact info for port rep you can contact in case of an emergency.

There are definitely some ports that require some form of photo ID to reenter the port area. I have seen passengers being stopped and someone from their party who has ID go back to the ship to get it for them.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the very helpful replies guys !

So seems best to carry only photo IDs + seapass off the ship, unless the cruiseline tells otherwise.

2 more questions :

1. What serves best as photo id for kids ? My 5yr old only has passport for photo ID and I dont want to carry off the ship for security issues.

2. If leaving passport etc. on the ship what happens if you get late etc. and ship sails without u. Does the cruiseline unload your stuff behind on the port ? 

Thanks again for the replies !

12 minutes ago, cruise1sttime said:

Thanks a lot for the very helpful replies guys !

So seems best to carry only photo IDs + seapass off the ship, unless the cruiseline tells otherwise.

2 more questions :

1. What serves best as photo id for kids ? My 5yr old only has passport for photo ID and I dont want to carry off the ship for security issues.

2. If leaving passport etc. on the ship what happens if you get late etc. and ship sails without u. Does the cruiseline unload your stuff behind on the port ? 

Thanks again for the replies !

Most cruiseline do not require photo Id  under age 16. Seapass only required

Cruise line may or may not go into your room and get your passport and give to port agent.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Most cruiseline do not require photo Id  under age 16. Seapass only required

Cruise line may or may not go into your room and get your passport and give to port agent.

Most of the time, they will only open your safe to find your passport. If you leave it somewhere else, you will be stranded on the island until you can contact the State Department to get you paperwork that will enable you to fly out.

I find it easier just to keep my passport with me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Athankfulheart said:

We prefer to travel with govt photo ID for our children. When we leave passports on the ship, we take thier non-driver ID with us. 

Hmmm I didnt know it was possible for kids to get that (non-driver) ID card. And no time left to get it now 😞

I guess we will carry the copy of his passport.

15 hours ago, cruise1sttime said:

Hmmm I didnt know it was possible for kids to get that (non-driver) ID card. And no time left to get it now 😞

Has your 5 year old started school yet?  Our school issues photo id cards (safe id - I think is the name) - I don't think they are anything official, rather a recent picture in case of a missing child.  It would give you a picture with the name and age though if it would make you feel better and don't want to carry passport or a copy.

20 hours ago, cruise1sttime said:

Children under the age of 16 do not need a photo ID....

On February 6, 2019 at 8:54 AM, cb at sea said:

Coming into a country on a cruise is totally different than arriving by air, or for extended stays.  None of your ports require a passport from CRUISE passengers.  Since you should, however, always have ID on you, bring your DL ashore...it's the same size as your ship's key, so it's easier to carry.  Waterproof, too!

I have been cruising since 1973 and never once took my passport in a port.Not only that but on my last few cruises to the Caribbean I was never asked for photo ID.