Formal Attire on Longer Cruises?

We'll soon be on our longest Regent cruise to date (19 nights), and I believe I've read that on the longer itineraries, there may be as many as three formal nights.  Can anyone provide any insight as to whether most (or many) passengers dress in tuxedos/gowns on these evenings?  My wife and I have no objection, assuming it is the norm, but wouldn't want to feel out of place, i.e. overdressed, if only a handful of people opt to dress up.

There will be two Formal OPTIONAL nights on your cruise.  I usually wear sports coat no tie.  You will see a few suits, a couple of tuxes, a lot of sports coats. and a few guys just in shirt sleeves.  If you don't want to wear a tux don't bring it.

Marc

We are currently on Explorer and have two Formal Optional nights.  The majority of male passengers wore either slacks and a long sleeved dress shirt, others added a sports jacket.  There were many men in suits and quite a few men in tuxedos.  While it is not required to dress up, I must admit that the men in polo shirts and.casual pants may have wished that they at least wore a dress shirt.

Thinking ahead for the 2021 WC my husband is thinking of bringing just one or two sport coats, a tie (he has yet to wear on Regent but has in case). He will bring assorted slacks and button down long shirts. As for me black pants, heels and dressy tops. I am on the hunt for nice knit long dresses that I can dress up and I will probably bring a nice silk outfit that my husband brought me back from India years ago.   I have seen few tuxedoes or fancy long ballroom dresses on either Seabourn or Regent . We did see many cocktail dresses, I will probably bring one or two. Of course if you like to dress up go for it, this is your vacation.

Very dependent upon what YOU feel comfortable in! As described above, there will be a variety of attire. DW likes to dress up and has several gowns that pack easily (important criteria) and shoes that go with many dinner things.

Hard for me to believe but I'm told that I look good in a tux ; so I bring it instead of a dark suit. Given my "druthers", I would always rather wear a nice sport coat with or without a tie - but alas, DW has those nice gowns!

Ps: We are on the 19-night Tokyo to Vancouver cruise and I'm hoping that there are no "Formal Optional" nights.

To all those who have chimed in on my query regarding formal attire, you have my sincere thanks and appreciation.  It appears a dark jacket and dress shirt (with or without a tie) will suffice, which greatly simplifies packing.  Looking forward to getting back on board Mariner and meeting new, and hopefully a few familiar, faces.  64 days and counting!

I think I wore a tie once or twice on Regent, usually for something important like birthdays or anniversaries, but as a rule I'm just sport coat/no tie.

When I think back to our only non-Regent cruise on Cunard years ago, I remember having to pack for five, count 'em - FIVE formal nights on a 15 night cruise.  Not 'Formal Optional', but formal.  I brought a tux, an ivory dinner jacket, cummerbunds, a waistcoat, braces, studs, shoes, etc...I felt like I was boarding the Titanic, and not with Jack and friends.  That was enough to make me realize that when I'm on vacation, 'elegant casual' is fine for me - I'm more concerned with enjoying time with the people I meet, not the clothes they're wearing.   :classic_biggrin:

FrequentFloater - pack easy and enjoy your cruise!!

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I think I wore a tie once or twice on Regent, usually for something important like birthdays or anniversaries, but as a rule I'm just sport coat/no tie.

When I think back to our only non-Regent cruise on Cunard years ago, I remember having to pack for five, count 'em - FIVE formal nights on a 15 night cruise.  Not 'Formal Optional', but formal.  I brought a tux, an ivory dinner jacket, cummerbunds, a waistcoat, braces, studs, shoes, etc...I felt like I was boarding the Titanic, and not with Jack and friends.  That was enough to make me realize that when I'm on vacation, 'elegant casual' is fine for me - I'm more concerned with enjoying time with the people I meet, not the clothes they're wearing.   :classic_biggrin:

FrequentFloater - pack easy and enjoy your cruise!!

It sounds like you are describing the dress code on Silversea.  Really a nice cruise line BUT the number of  "formal" and "informal" (jacket but no tie required but most wear them) is enough to drive you back to Regent:classic_biggrin:

A couple of years ago my DH brought a tux for a special event.  It is easy to pack and we only packed it on this cruise because he wants to wear it occasionally and his birthday was a good time.  He decided not to wear the cummerbund or studs.

While this is only my opinion, wearing polo shirts and Dockers to the Captain's Reception looks a bit too casual.  Wearing dress slacks and a long sleeved dress shirt makes all the difference in the world.  Even when you wear Dockers (not picking on Dockers - my husband wears them a lot) with a dress shirt, it looks so much better than polo shirts.

My husband never wears a polo shirt, and his pants are, though casual, a step up from Dockers.

That being said, he has not worn a jacket or a tie on Regent since the "good old days" when he bought a suit to go on a 7-day cruise.  If it's a special night, it'll be a long-sleeved shirt, something he wears frequently at dinner anyways.

I also own no formal wear, but make do, as travelwell does, with nice black pants and a more-or-less glitzy top, plus a few long skirts, and my lovely silk salwar kameez from India, which I deem to be formal, even though in India these garments are everyday wear.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wripro said:

Personally I don't understand why there is a different standard of dress code on anger voyages. There should be consistency in the product. Adding a few extra days to the itinerary should not mean a dress code differs. jmo.

The key is optional.  We pretty much dress the same as other nights.  I don’t wear dresses any more...I have an autoimmune disease and wearing heels is totally out...so black pants and nice top and husband sports coat with no tie.  We have not felt out of place at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Personally I don't understand why there is a different standard of dress code on anger voyages. There should be consistency in the product. Adding a few extra days to the itinerary should not mean a dress code differs. jmo.

There is no change to the dress code on longer voyages.

Elegant Casual is the dress code on Regent ships every evening after 6pm (except the night before disembarkation). On sailings of more than sixteen nights guests are given the option to dress up a bit more than usual on a couple of nights - Formal Optional; the operative word is Optional.

Many like to take up this option, but some do not. There are usually more Dinner Jackets (Tuxedos) and bow ties to be seen during Holiday cruises over Christmas & the New Year.

I don't think Regent has many "anger" voyages; certainly none that we have noticed 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

While this is only my opinion, wearing polo shirts and Dockers to the Captain's Reception looks a bit too casual.  Wearing dress slacks and a long sleeved dress shirt makes all the difference in the world.  Even when you wear Dockers (not picking on Dockers - my husband wears them a lot) with a dress shirt, it looks so much better than polo shirts.

For me, usually polo shirts & shorts/light slacks (usually shorts) during the day, and casual slacks with the dreaded Tommy Bahama shirts most evenings.  Special nights (receptions, dining with senior staff, specialty restaurants, etc.) I'll usually up it to a dress shirt and sport coat.  But 90% of the time evenings are Tommy time for this guy...

One of the reasons we cruise Regent (not the only reason) is the dress code.  I really don't want to wear a suit or a Tux---did that when I worked and now that I'm retried it's not going to happen.  Even having dinner with the Captain-I did have a sport coat on, how ever did remove it later during the dinner.  Just not a problem.  I do like the fact that most people are nicely dressed during dinner.  If someone wants to wear a Tux, not a problem, but that is not the norm on Regent.

DH will be bring his tux on our upcoming B2B on Voyager - because after many months of hard work (healthier meal plan and exercise program) he can finally fit into it again!  Very proud of him - he will certainly not look out of place at the Captain's Welcome Aboard and Farewell evenings as the officers usually are dressed in their finest....that means I get to dress up, too!

3 hours ago, wripro said:

There are multiple dress code on Silversea which is a good thing in many ways (not the Formal/Informal every night part).

When Regent went to the current dress code some years ago, CC members pretty much knew that some people would try to dress down as much as possible.  There are always slobs (sorry but I call them as I see them)  a man wearing swimming trunks and t-shirt to a PBS Q&A session yesterday, a woman wearing pedal pushers and a sloppy blouse into the Captain’s Reception (note:  they left after seeing how everyone else was dressed).

Don’t want to turn this into yet another dress code thread (which you have mentioned many times that you do not like).  

The TS should just be aware of how most men/women dress and decide for themselves (as long a it meets the dress code).   Dress slacks and a shirt do not take up any more room in a suitcase than Dockers and a polo shirt.

• Like 1

It is getting rare to see Tux's or Dinner jackets anymore on Regent. One my last cruise this last January 34 night Australia Circumnavigation , they were very few. Several more wore suits and about a third wore a sports coat/blazer and tie. The rest were just what they wore every other night.  IMO one should wear at least a sports coat/blazer to dinner at P7, Chartreuse or Pacific rim restaurant. Personally I miss the required formal wear and is one reason we sail Crystal also.

Even elegant casual is slipping on Regent. I see a lot of men wearing "safari" style Colombia shirt or similar in the evenings.

J

48/701 since 2001

Perhaps I am a "captive" regarding previous dress guidelines when in the Military.  Short, and to the point:  My wife and I enjoy opportunities to dress to the occasion--when that occasion is tux optional.   So, I pack my tux on those longer cruise segments.

Have never felt like a duck out of water, as experience(s) on several 2017 and 2018 cruises aboard two Regent ships were that I was in good company.  Ladies, my wife included, always dress appropriately, and usually one-step up from the minimal "code".  Plenty of guys in tuxes.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Well, most people today on luxury lines leave their tuxedos at home and that is the sign of the times.  You can look smart in slacks sans tie or with tie.  No need for ladies to bring those long gowns just a cocktail dress or slacks with a nice blouse or top.

We are benefactors of a few charitys which use to to require Black Tie and now they even they have relaxed it to formal optional. We have a Heart Ball to go to which use to be strictly formal now its smart casual with jackets for men and we are talking a lot of people with old and new money.  Many doctors and benefactors will be there so I expect it will be a mix.

The American Cancer Society came up with a ball called Diamonds And Jeans in the last few years and it was a huge success.  This is done all over the US and raises a ton of money for the ACS.

No more tux for my husband as he dressed  to impress for business for years and now retired.  

To each their own.

TC, I’ve been neglectful in getting back with you since our last “denim dilemma” discussion. This thread reminded me of my oversight. 

Since last we visited on the subject, I’m delighted to report that the entire matter has been resolved in a way that I find totally, completely and 100%  satisfactory. 

And I simply couldn’t have gotten there without your kind and gracious help. So a great big THANK YOU to you for your assist in helping me make this happen!

Also, agree with both Malbec and GOARMY, but when my wife says we are  bringing formal wear, I salute and pack accordingly.  Plus, for us it is a chance to wear our pride (wearing minature medals earned over decades of military service) on a dress jacket or Tuxedo jacket.

Tho am much more comfortable wearing nice slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt to dinner; don't mind putting formal duds on once or twice a voyage. Still trying to get Ida to wear her miniature medals (incl Bronze Star) but she won't give up her formal dresses for a ladies tuxedo.

• Like 2