CHICAGOPAUL - LIVE!!!!!! CRUISE BLOG - The EDGE February 24th!

chicagopaul

Today we are in Tortola. We have stayed on board. The morning was spent in the retreat by the bar and pool. For lunch it was finally time to try Eden Cafe.

fd9d9c4e611d3b846635e581865558dd.jpg

They do have some vegetarian options as you can see above and the soups change. We ran into our waiter, Ignatius from last night. He recommended the Vegetarian Tortilla and Chicken Pesto Panini. Both were very good, especially the soup. Edward had the tortilla soup as well and the tuna salad wrap. He said the tuna salad was very good.

6ab96cd9b43e2d8506a6fd30c9930f04.jpg

bc3185bd2c7c6f1daa50064d05d768d5.jpg

As I mentioned we ran into Ignatius and he took great care of us again. He mentioned that the outside area was quite nice and quiet. He took our food out there for us and even got us water and brought out a brownie for dessert. The brownie which I forgot to take a photo of was very good. Not dry at all which is many times the case with brownies.

Here is the outdoor area.

4de5ac4120ade4eda6f6d18b9a0bfd1a.jpg

The other thing I noticed was a cute little book exchange by the Eden entrance. I know it’s a far cry from the library but I guess it’s a start.

d5002c217a5a5e9665913d73d43721de.jpg

5688c51e8482c295a3cbcb112f83e793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we are half way through the cruise I figure I should give a mini cruise update.

Cabin 10107 Sky Suite - Storage is excellent. I live the bed facing the window. The mattress is firm. Very firm. Personally I love that but I realize it might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

The temperature only goes down to 66. It doesn’t really feel like 66, feels like it should be a bit colder but it’s not uncomfortable by any means. I just prefer ice cold when I sleep. Even in cold Chicago our A/C turns on at night to keep it around 63 so I’m an anomaly with regard to that.

Cleanliness of Cabin. Ship is brand new so obviously the room is clean. The shower provides some cleaning challenges. There is a soap dish of sorts that is fixed to the tub. It fills up with water with no where to drain. Cabin attendant always has it dry after cleaning but is just a design flaw. Also the shower current material is starting to discolor already at the base. I suspect they’ll be changing these out a lot.

I love the separate door for the toilet in the bathroom. The long vanity is beautiful.

I hate how the mirror fogs up so quickly. Really wish they had fog free mirrors or better ventilation. There is also no place to hang your towel within easy reach of the shower. Though the bathroom isn’t all that big so it’s not like you’re running across a room for a towel, it is noticeable.

I love the vanity area. While I’m not putting on make up haha, it makes for a great space to place my watch, clothes, etc as I’m getting ready.

The storage on both sides of the sink is wonderful. Products are easily displayed so you know where everything is and the shelf heights are perfect for bathroom products.

• Like 1

Paul Happy Birthday,

Edward is correct. The tuna fish sandwich is excellent. All of the desserts on the table were also very good. IMHO better than the ones in Cafe Baccio. Not as many options but all very fresh and tasty. The freshly carved sandwiches were also good and they will make a salad fresh also. It reminds me a bit. Like the Spa Cafe used to be. 

Staff - You know I always love the staff on Celebrity. Our interaction so far with the staff has been excellent. From the Retreat to the Club to Martini Bar, Specialty restaurants, etc.

The staff seems like they’re finally getting in their groove and in talking with them it seems like they’ve worked through lots of the opening kinks, at least on their end. More importantly many of them just seem very excited to be here. Everyone from the cleaners of the common areas to the bartenders and servers always seem to be smiling and have a wonderful energy.

Officer visibility - I don’t think I’ve seen a single officer yet! Now granted we haven’t attended any of the Elite events but I’m used to seeing them around. I do believe they’re around, especially this captain that is always personable. I think it’s simply the ship design which makes it difficult to see them.

Food - With the exception of my Cesar salad in Luminae I have yet to find any food that has not been very good to excellent. So far I’ve been very impressed and I hope that it continues.

Martini Bar - Yes, I want more seats at the bar. While there is plenty of seating in the area many people prefer to sit at the bar to not only converse with fellow cruisers but also with the staff. The two tiered height set up also makes it difficult to stand behind people sitting in the shorter seats and Order drinks without feeling awkwardly tall.

I do think the look around the bar is beautiful. Very classy and I LOVE the open high ceiling at the bar. I think the fix is simple. Keep the bar going in a full circle. The bartenders would loose some upper storage but that would be it. It looks like they would have the space for it.

What I do like about part of the bar is that part is tall enough so if I don’t have a seat I can lean against the bar with a drink and be perfectly comfortable.

So with the above being said I don’t hate it as much as I thought I was going to given the complaints, but there are things I miss.

The bartenders have been great and even though very busy they’ve been turning out drinks quick all around.

• Like 2

Just noticed that you used Tapatalk (the old CC App).    I didn't realize it was back up and running.   Just tried mine and sure enough it's back.

Yes! I forgot to mention that. Special thanks to Kathy (Mrs. Dewars) who told me it was back when I saw her for lunch on Saturday. It makes this posting so much better!

Passengers - We’ve heard some people complain here and there but overall I’ve found that most of everyone is going with the flow. They’re making a good effort to like and learn the ship. I’ve asked a lot of people how they like it. The general consensus is “I think it’s beautiful on the inside but I’m still getting used to it.” I think that’s a fair way to put it. That’s how I feel. Still lots for me to get used to but I’m finding my way around quicker than I thought I would.

We’re traveling with our friends Dawn and Lisa and since I know they read this I’d just like to say how wonderful it is traveling with people like them. It’s great when travel partners are laid back and simply go with the flow of things. They do their own thing and so do we, then we have dinner, hangout and do a little complaining about first world problems. Haha

Right now I’m going to skim through all the comments and make more of questions you’ve asked. Now that I have a good basis for this cruise and feel like I know my way around I can get to work on more content and answers for you since I now know where to look.

• Like 1

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag (happy Birthday)! [emoji846]

It's nice to celebrate one's birthday OnBoard and getting spoiled a little bit. I already had that twice, too.

Thank you! It is a great way to celebrate another year.

20 minutes ago, chicagopaul said:

As we are half way through the cruise I figure I should give a mini cruise update.

Cabin 10107 Sky Suite - Storage is excellent. I live the bed facing the window. The mattress is firm. Very firm. Personally I love that but I realize it might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

The temperature only goes down to 66. It doesn’t really feel like 66, feels like it should be a bit colder but it’s not uncomfortable by any means. I just prefer ice cold when I sleep. Even in cold Chicago our A/C turns on at night to keep it around 63 so I’m an anomaly with regard to that.

I love the separate door for the toilet in the bathroom. The long vanity is beautiful.

I hate how the mirror fogs up so quickly. Really wish they had fog free mirrors or better ventilation. There is also no place to hang your towel within easy reach of the shower. Though the bathroom isn’t all that big so it’s not like you’re running across a room for a towel, it is noticeable.

Thanks for confirming the AC limitations. We also like a cold room for sleeping at night and couldn’t figure out why the cabin never seemed to cool down at the lowest setting.

I found that leaving the bathroom door open while showering kept the mirrors from fogging up.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday...🎈 🎂 🎁 🍾

7 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

So glad you had your AH-HA Moment. There are many of us who have enjoyed the Martini Bar on S and M Class ships for years. On those ships the MB has its own identity where there is a lot of interaction between guests and bartenders in a more confined space. On Edge, that has been lost. The 200+ seats that you mention is actually the Grand Plaza and the MB just happens to be part of it. 

I’m not sure the bartenders enjoy working at the MB either. They are very very busy trying to fill orders from all directions. Plus you very rarely hear the little bell being rung by the bartenders (regular MB users know what that means)

What does ringing the bell mean? Sorry, not a regular MB user! 

Were you able to look at the internet prices for a full 7 days? I got a decent price now but I thought I saw something better if booked onboard at the reduced CC prices. And Feliz Cumpleanhos! (Happy Birthday!)

Thanks

Edited by Sandy1975

Were you able to look at the internet prices for a full 7 days? I got a decent price now but I thought I saw something better if booked onboard at the reduced CC prices. And Feliz Cumpleanhos! (Happy Birthday!)
Thanks

I’ll go through my old photos. I do have the pricing somewhere.

3 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

Cleanliness of Cabin. Ship is brand new so obviously the room is clean. The shower provides some cleaning challenges. There is a soap dish of sorts that is fixed to the tub. It fills up with water with no where to drain. Cabin attendant always has it dry after cleaning but is just a design flaw. Also the shower current material is starting to discolor already at the base. I suspect they’ll be changing these out a lot.

I love the vanity area. While I’m not putting on make up haha, it makes for a great space to place my watch, clothes, etc as I’m getting ready.

The storage on both sides of the sink is wonderful. Products are easily displayed so you know where everything is and the shelf heights are perfect for bathroom products.

Will you please share a video of your room?    Happy birthday!

Edited by Briggs99

Happy birthday ! I will be spending my birthday on the November 2 ( birthday on the 3rd)cruise that we added on as a second leg of A B2B ! We were getting off after my best friends birthday on the cruise before and I was reading a blog of yours and thought  we should stay on for one more week  . Are you guys still doing the November 2, 2019 cruise ?

Happy birthday ! I will be spending my birthday on the November 2 ( birthday on the 3rd)cruise that we added on as a second leg of A B2B ! We were getting off after my best friends birthday on the cruise before and I was reading a blog of yours and thought  we should stay on for one more week  . Are you guys still doing the November 2, 2019 cruise ?

Yes we are! On the Equinox correct?

3 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

This reminded me of a very funny story - we were in a Celebrity Suite on the Infinity.  I was in the shower when I realized I was out of conditioner.  Had to get out of that high tub (I'm 5'3"), go around the toilet to the shelves behind the door to grab it.  Ended up grabbing lotion instead of conditioner and couldn't figure out why it was so hard to get it out of my hair!  LOL!

• Haha 2