CHICAGOPAUL - LIVE!!!!!! CRUISE BLOG - The EDGE February 24th!

chicagopaul

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

When I got the Luminae Lobster Roll for lunch on the first day on Edge it was so pathetic that I started laughing!  The next day at breakfast I ordered hash browns and corned beef hash to go with my eggs.  Also laughable.  The corned beef hash was literally a teaspoon portion.  The hash browns portion was so small that I had to question whether they were even there.  Seriously not kidding.  Thanks Celebrity for helping me watch my waistline!

That is called Fine Dining.😀

• Like 1

I've enjoyed your cruise commentary many times before, and I'm sure that this will be no exception. Your Instagram post yesterday was the bomb! By the way, just so you can really enjoy your cruise, the current temperature outside my window in the far north burbs of Chicago is 5 degrees. Only 49 more days to the Silhouette for me. Cheers Paul and Edward!

Last night we headed to the Martini Bar around 6:30. It was crowded but we were able to grab some standing area at the bar and met a few couples that we started chatting with. The bartenders were very busy but given how crowded it was they still did a pretty good job of getting drinks out quickly. I didn’t hear anyone complain last night about waiting.

At the bar we know I Made from the Reflection and Peter.

The band was setting up by the Martini Bar and we didn’t hear them play until it was almost time to head to dinner. The LGBT gathering was at the Martini Bar at 8 and there was a lot! Usually I’ve noticed people tend to stay in their own groups but last night everyone was very talkative and didn’t waste anytime to introduce themselves.

Last night we ate in Luminae. We had 8:30 reservations with Dawn and Lisa. We had a great circular table with no one immediately around us. At this hour Luminae was starting to wind down. Service was on point. No delays.

I started with the pork belly which was excellent. Then I had the Cesar salad off the “classic menu”. The dressing was watered down. Not very good at all. Don’t think I’ll order it again. The basis for the dressing is good, they just need to stop spreading it so thin! Edward had the burrata which was excellent quality. We both had the filet for dinner, medium rare and yes it was cooked medium rare as requested and seasoned well though could’ve used a bit more pepper for my personal taste. For dessert I had the brown butter pear which was good, but nothing to write home about.

659466bdcfecff3e2fd9b72dd8175ee2.jpg

18c023712fdd3694dd3796726875fd80.jpg

d0d27a5c9245aa96aacc6c41fc47cd41.jpg

1ecd9844d6d18481029a6b8324c3446e.jpg

e1c76499f34226943e4f623c4ce805b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

Last night we headed to the Martini Bar around 6:30. It was crowded but we were able to grab some standing area at the bar and met a few couples that we started chatting with. The bartenders were very busy but given how crowded it was they still did a pretty good job of getting drinks out quickly. I didn’t hear anyone complain last night about waiting.

Paul,

I'd like to know your thoughts about the layout of the Martini Bar on Edge.  We felt like it had lost its own identity and functioned more as a bar that serviced the entire Grand Plaza.  We stood most nights at the taller side of the bar since there was a real lack of seating.  It was also difficult to develop any rapport with the bartenders since they were extremely busy.  Just our thoughts.

• Like 1

Paul,

Thanks so much for posting this live blog, I'm new to your reviews but loving your style so far.  I could swear that a few months ago I saw a vegetarian menu posted for the Eden restaurant, but I have been unable to find it again.  Can you check to see if there is indeed a vegetarian menu for the Eden dinner restaurant?  I will be on the Edge in December and trying to finalize our dinner reservations.

Thanks!  

Didn’t want to tell you about Peter being at The Martini Bar, I wanted it to be a surprise.  I did tell him that you were going to be on the ship so he could keep an eye out for you and Edward.  He is supervising a lot more rather than bar tending.  Johannes is really nice,,too.

Vince and Gede up at the retreat bar get to know drink preferences very quickly.  Carlos in the retreat lounge took great care of us.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

When I got the Luminae Lobster Roll for lunch on the first day on Edge it was so pathetic that I started laughing!  The next day at breakfast I ordered hash browns and corned beef hash to go with my eggs.  Also laughable.  The corned beef hash was literally a teaspoon portion.  The hash browns portion was so small that I had to question whether they were even there.  Seriously not kidding.  Thanks Celebrity for helping me watch my waistline!

I completely forgot about the hash brown potatoes for breakfast in Luminae.  I laughed when I saw the size of the portion they gave me - you are correct - the portion was so small I wasn't sure if it was just a garnish for the plate! LOL

• Like 1

Paul and Edward

Glad to see you are live with another post/report.  Kate mentioned to me this weekend that you were on the Edge and I recalled our conversation in November when you mentioned it.  We are on a B2B in April and coincidently are booked in 12160!  I made these reservations so long ago I did not know the potential implications of the MC on the view at that deck level.  When I realized it the cost of changing had gone up so much it was a little out of line.  Maybe we will get upgraded as you did.  Hah, probably not much of a chance.

Anyway, enjoy the cruise and I will be watching for updates as you go.

Jeff

52 minutes ago, cricketgirl said:

Paul,

Thanks so much for posting this live blog, I'm new to your reviews but loving your style so far.  I could swear that a few months ago I saw a vegetarian menu posted for the Eden restaurant, but I have been unable to find it again.  Can you check to see if there is indeed a vegetarian menu for the Eden dinner restaurant?  I will be on the Edge in December and trying to finalize our dinner reservations.

Thanks!  

c  - If in fact there is no 'separate' vegetarian menu for Eden, you can let them know 24 hours in advance and something will definitely be prepared for you.

I plan on doing that upon our embarkation in Nov, as I Am vegan.

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

c  - If in fact there is no 'separate' vegetarian menu for Eden, you can let them know 24 hours in advance and something will definitely be prepared for you.

I plan on doing that upon our embarkation in Nov, as I Am vegan.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Bo -  Which cruise are you doing in November?   The TA?

Paul, I'm very interested in your take on the Martini Bar.  I, too, am a very frequent Celebrity cruiser and a Martini Bar "regular".  The Martini Bar on the Edge just didn't feel like the Martini Bar I'm used to.  The week we were on the only seats provided were the short ones on the one side of the bar.  We were told that they also had higher stool type seating for the other side but were not using them because several people had problems (i.e they fell) getting either into or out of them as they were very high.  There was only one night where we were able to snag a seat at the bar, and it was quite late in the evening when we did.  We knew 2 bartenders (I Made and Alex) from previous cruises and as soon as they saw us come in they helped us to find a table where we could sit and brought our drinks over.  It was very difficult to even find a table between the hours of 6 pm and 8 pm.  It seemed like that area on Deck 3 was the "only game in town" for drinks before dinner (although I'm sure some folks had pre-dinner cocktails in Eden).  I'm interested in how you feel about the Martini Bar on Edge.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, cricketgirl said:

Paul,

Thanks!  

The vegetarian menu that you saw may be in the first post on the thread below (you responded to this thread 🙂). I found the menu on my app.

MisterBill reported talking with the Chef and on his second visit he had dishes other than the menu prepared for him and they were all vegetarian and excellent. The Chef is amazing - he has never been on a cruise line before this and said he loved doing something different (likely bored cooking the same things over and over). I think you will have no trouble having an excellent dinner. The guy is very talented!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

The vegetarian menu that you saw many be in the first post on the thread below. I found the menu on my app. MisterBill reported talking with the Chef and on his second visit he had dishes other than the menu prepared for him and they were all vegetarian.

That's the menu I saw a while back!  Although I'm thinking it may be safer to check with the chef the day before to ensure something vegetarian is planned.  Thank you so much vtcruising!

6 minutes ago, cricketgirl said:

That's the menu I saw a while back!  Although I'm thinking it may be safer to check with the chef the day before to ensure something vegetarian is planned.  Thank you so much vtcruising!

It sounds like a good idea. Maybe MisterBill will see this and describe his vegetarian dinner there. I know he was very impressed with the Chef and the dinner. I wish I had given my compliments to the Chef and chatted with him. His dishes were unique and delicious (except for the thing some of us called the asbestos biscuits - an amuse bouche we just couldn't love) 🙂:

image.thumb.png.5da2788bb9d8a99daa85ee24894a4b00.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Ahh.. was hoping to meet you.   We are on the TA and the Med Greek cruise before.

j - would love to meet you, as well... will have to co-ordinate a sailing soon!

bon voyage

Don't miss Impulse in the Grand Plaza, best band I had heard on Celebrity in years. One interesting thing to check out while they are performing. I found the acoustics much better upstairs than down below by the Martini Bar. The band sounded near perfect upstairs while down by the Grand Plaza heard a lot more reverb and bass. 

Can't wait to try Edge again in November

Edited by johhnnyt

We were one  level up behind the music and could hear almost nothing from some of the bands...loud din in the area  drowned out everything, 

We will try your tip to sit  higher  up next Nov..( 11/15 ABC)