X: Floating Boutique Hotel

Stateroom_Sailor

Boutique Hotel  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Boutique?

• Love them, preferred over traditional hotels!
    • Haven't booked yet, but looking forward to trying them.
    • Could go either way, like both, change is good.
    • They're not my thing, but I'll stay when the price is right.
    • No, prefer the decor of Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, Etc.

We recently stayed in a "boutique" hotel overnight in Boston, for somewhere to sleep after a concert. It was centrally located around the corner from Quincy Market. The room was tiny, dark and windowless, like someone stuck a full sized bed in an airless closet. I would say the $400+ dollars we spent for one night was for location only. That room was dismal, and that was a bargain compared to what other hotels in the area cost.  

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t prefer the decor of the big hotels but I prefer the amenities.

I prefer the common areas of Hyatt, and the decor of Springhill Marriott, as well as Sheratons.  We stayed in Aloft once, wasn't quite our thing, The W looks better IMO.  I see that there is an incredible range of styles, modernness or antique falling under "boutique hotels", and X is using a subcategory within.

Every boutique hotel is different just like every boutique is different. That’s what makes them unique. Some have tiny rooms others are spacious. Some have awesome food and beverage outlets and others have limited services. Some are in mainstream locations and others are off the beaten track. 

Most are designed with unusual interior elements. Each one will appeal to some and not others just like there’s no fashion designer which appeals to everyone. 

Your question is really relevant only to people who have spent time in design hotels.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Every boutique hotel is different just like every boutique is different. That’s what makes them unique. Some have tiny rooms others are spacious. Some have awesome food and beverage outlets and others have limited services. Some are in mainstream locations and others are off the beaten track. 

Most are designed with unusual interior elements. Each one will appeal to some and not others just like there’s no fashion designer which appeals to everyone. 

Your question is really relevant only to people who have spent time in design hotels.  

Agree.  Also, since all Celebrity ships [at least in each class] are almost exactly the same: Celebrity is not and is not becoming a "boutique" cruise line.  If you want to see what that would be like, check out Uniworld River Cruises, where every ship is decorated completely differently.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Agree.  Also, since all Celebrity ships [at least in each class] are almost exactly the same: Celebrity is not and is not becoming a "boutique" cruise line.  If you want to see what that would be like, check out Uniworld River Cruises, where every ship is decorated completely differently.

Ultimately that's true, but at the same time, if these ships are openly modeled after boutique concepts, I believe it is a fair discussion to have.

If they were made to look like log cabins, I would ask the same thing, despite not technically being so. 

Imagine an atrium inspired by a Denali lodge?  😆

Boutique is one of those frustrating phrases that adds nothing to the description of a hotel but conveys a hint of expected difference and luxury....

We do sometimes book small non chain accommodation (obviously some great venues in the small towns and villages of the U.K.) but we do lots of research on trip advisor first. World wide we are finding for a 1/2 night stop over we look for location and facilities first with chains frequently winning. For longer than a couple of nights we love the freedom and benefits of self catering. Some fantastic spacious apartments and even villas for the price of a mediocre hotel room.

Boutique in atmosphere and/or style is not the Celebrity we know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We tend to avoid the big chain hotels if possible, you are just another number and we find the corporate furnishings and colour schemes pretty boring. Much prefer independently owned hotels giving that personal touch that offer more of a unique experience. There are of course good and bad, and in general the really good ones are expensive but it’s worth it for us.I must admit in the states it’s sometimes not that easy where the big chains dominate where their rewards programmes make them very appealing for people that want something they know, but we always manage to find something anywhere in the world. Some of the old hotels in Eastern Europe can be amazing. I would never think of Celebrity as boutique though, it’s really more just a chain offering the same experience across each class of ship, no one ship is unique and obviously edge has sisters joining her which will be pretty much  the same. Boutique is individual, getting in a well known designer does not make Celebrity boutique.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yorky said:

We tend to avoid the big chain hotels if possible, you are just another number and we find the corporate furnishings and colour schemes pretty boring. Much prefer independently owned hotels giving that personal touch that offer more of a unique experience. There are of course good and bad, and in general the really good ones are expensive but it’s worth it for us.I must admit in the states it’s sometimes not that easy where the big chains dominate where their rewards programmes make them very appealing for people that want something they know, but we always manage to find something anywhere in the world. Some of the old hotels in Eastern Europe can be amazing. I would never think of Celebrity as boutique though, it’s really more just a chain offering the same experience across each class of ship, no one ship is unique and obviously edge has sisters joining her which will be pretty much  the same. Boutique is individual, getting in a well known designer does not make Celebrity boutique.

That's were we're at in the states, mainly for the familiarity and the rewards.  With the help of our business credit cards, we're using 100% points on our next two cruises at Sheraton, Westin, and a couple Wyndham timeshare resorts.  We'll likely book a Marriott property in Tokyo.  Great suggestions though, I'll have to eyeball old hotels in Eastern Europe when we make it out that way.

25 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

That's were we're at in the states, mainly for the familiarity and the rewards.  With the help of our business credit cards, we're using 100% points on our next two cruises at Sheraton, Westin, and a couple Wyndham timeshare resorts.  We'll likely book a Marriott property in Tokyo.  Great suggestions though, I'll have to eyeball old hotels in Eastern Europe when we make it out that way.

Chemmo was pretty spot on with her first line above. However, we find there are many more offerings, not just the chains, in Europe as a whole.

On a side note, we’re interested in Japan but have reservations about booking with X as many of their cruises are often cancelled due to charters. Are you sailing with X?

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, villauk said:

Chemmo was pretty spot on with her first line above. However, we find there are many more offerings, not just the chains, in Europe as a whole.

On a side note, we’re interested in Japan but have reservations about booking with X as many of their cruises are often cancelled due to charters. Are you sailing with X?

OP sorry for deviation from your post...Villauk, I know you may still be stuck with holiday times 2020 but there is a fantastic one off itinerary from Tokyo to Singapore via Taiwan and Vietnam in the October on Eclipse. As it is as she heads for her refit I think it is very unlikely to be cancelled....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

OP sorry for deviation from your post...Villauk, I know you may still be stuck with holiday times 2020 but there is a fantastic one off itinerary from Tokyo to Singapore via Taiwan and Vietnam in the October on Eclipse. As it is as she heads for her refit I think it is very unlikely to be cancelled....

It would be a fabulous itinerary, however we’ll still be stuck with dates as October is when both boys will be starting at university (one for his third year and the other as a fresher) 😥. We’ll need to be there to settle them in (we have one at Durham and knowing our luck, the other will probably choose one as far south as possible :classic_rolleyes:), and I’d need to retire and not be confined to taking leave in school holidays (the latter sounds great, though :classic_cool:).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, villauk said:

Originally we were going to do a transpacific on the Millennium this Fall.  X froze 4-5 cruises from new bookings for weeks, and couldn't give us any specifics about what was going on.  They ended up chartering a cruise in Japan, but by doing so they had to change the dates and itineraries of several cruises before and after, even cancelling an Alaska cruise to get the ship to Japan sooner.  Someone must have been paying dearly!

We were still over a year out, so not a big deal financially, more just frustrating.  X made a $200 offer to keep the new transpacific, or transfer it to another booking.   The offer was good for 2 weeks, but only those who booked direct with X were informed.  Luckily we were on CC to compare notes.  We weren't thrilled with the new itinerary, so switched to Hawaii on Eclipse instead.

We're sailing on Holland America next year, Tokyo to Vancouver, with 4 stops in Japan, 3 stops in Alaska, $2,199 US for a Signature Suite.  We much prefer the price and port selections of a reposition cruise.  The one mentioned above doesn't sound bad either.  I would also eyeball Princess, Azamara, and even Windstar.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Thanks 1

None of the answers really apply to us. In a hotel we just want something clean, functional, and secure feeling. We generally like to have a continental breakfest for our cruise port hotels to make sail away morning easier. 

As as far as cruise ships, looks isn’t the deciding factor for us, but the different things the ship has to offer is. On the Edge our inside stateroom was very well laid out with plentiful storage, win. It looked nice, but most importantly it fit our particular needs. 

The ship itself was easy to navigate, Magic Carpet was great and kept us busy. All of the art and small details were a nice touch and made for some nice pictures, but truly the live music and things like the tall ceilings in the oceanview made the ship a win for us, it made you feel more connected to the ocean. 

I really didn't see how this topic  related to Celebrity ships. 

Although EDGE was a bit different, it is still like other ships ..just other areas to enjoy! The 4 mdrs are still large, mass market dining rms, ,.. Edge did not feel anything like a boutique...unless suite class has that feel? If anything there are big open areas like the Grand Plaza and EDEN,  no cozy little bars...

M Class are smaller and maybe more cozy with a boutique feel, whatever that is???

For US hotels we stick with the big brands and use our points and perks...

Edited by hcat

i think that X is trying to get more of a boutique feel on the Edge and subsequent refits.   I forget the actual number, but the percentage of Americans that have cruised is 3%.  That could be from all sorts of reasons right or wrong - staid, formulaic, cattle car...  If you have ever talked to someone about cruising who hasn't done it, you have heard the reasons

X seems to want to offer something new to the non cruise crowd that is unexcited by cruising and get those people on board - literally.  Looking at Marriott , they have a dozen brands, each of those brands represent something else to a traveler.  Cost, value, upscale, middle of the  road - they have it all

with the recent purchases of Azamara, Silversea, Royal (as a parent company) is looking to offer the same type of definable levels as Marriott.  Evidently they think that X can be more profitable by positioning it as a boutique-y experience, that takes it out of the cookie cutter mold of everyone else. When someone sails on RCCL you know it will family oriented  vacations.  You know what Silversea and Azamara are.  Celebrity was getting boxed in with nice ships, pretty good service and food with pax who were were looking for a good deal - not a profitable place to be.  Those folks can go to RCCL, with the "I am only spending $100/day crowd" going someplace else

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bermadu22 said:

We recently stayed in a "boutique" hotel overnight in Boston, for somewhere to sleep after a concert. It was centrally located around the corner from Quincy Market. The room was tiny, dark and windowless, like someone stuck a full sized bed in an airless closet. I would say the $400+ dollars we spent for one night was for location only. That room was dismal, and that was a bargain compared to what other hotels in the area cost.  

How is this room legal? I thought ALL bedrooms must have egress option besides door for Fire evacuation

I don't know about legality, but I have stayed in windowless rooms two times in the French Quarter in New Orleans. Very disorienting for me; with no sun I completely lost track of time.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I read the article in the OP’s post and would argue that it’s author, a travel writer, made a mistake calling Edge a boutique hotel at sea in the first place.

For all who believe that X has little to no relation to boutique hotels, I get your reasons.  However, the CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo believes that's where Celebrity is headed, referenced by other CC posters.  I'll back that up with a snippet from an interview:

"...and they (people who've never cruised) don't know why Celebrity is different.  And when you spend your time creating an experience, that are these beautiful boutique hotels, sailing around the world, delivering this amazing experience, you came to the quick realization that you've got to break out, you've got to break away..." - Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Boutique doesn't mean weird. 

X doesn't want to get caught in the mass market (albeit upper end) where they are competing against Princess, NCL, HAL, Costa and MSC with price.  Most casual cruisers couldn't tell you the difference between any of those.  Most of the rooms kinda look the same on line .  

There was a program about marriott a few years ago that said revenue mgt would let rooms go unsold rather then sell them at a low price - especially at the last minute.  All that did was train potential customers to call at 6 pm and look for a great deal - they don't want those people.  X will find the right spot for Edge pricing (and ship configuration) soon enough

• Like 2

Yeah, by boutique they don't mean one-off random hotels that span a variety of quality, they mean less mainstream more trendy "luxury boutique" hotels like SLS, Andaz, Luxe, Mondrian, W and that is what they are targeting with Edge.  It's clear from the  aesthetic and the focus on the "new-american" type food.  Basically the super instagrammable gorgeous travel destinations that make everyone on your feed burn with jealousy.

I think it's a great idea.  It is a big hole in the cruise industry right now.  I feel like the slightly more luxurious than mainstream cruise while very modern niche is currently undeserved, because that's kind of what I am looking for and I don't really see anything else remotely as promising.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

For all who believe that X has little to no relation to boutique hotels, I get your reasons.  However, the CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo believes that's where Celebrity is headed, referenced by other CC posters.  I'll back that up with a snippet from an interview:

"...and they (people who've never cruised) don't know why Celebrity is different.  And when you spend your time creating an experience, that are these beautiful boutique hotels, sailing around the world, delivering this amazing experience, you came to the quick realization that you've got to break out, you've got to break away..." - Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

Sounds like a PR script. They want to sell cabins to an  untapped group....just another ad campaign...

What is boutique about EDGE or any X ship?

X used to be different but not anymore....

Edited by hcat

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sounds like a PR script. They want to sell cabins to an  untapped group....just another ad campaign...

What is boutique about EDGE or any X ship?

X used to be different but not anymore....

I believe Unoriginalname above your comment nailed it.  If you look up hotel Chains such as The W and Aloft, it is more in line with their version of Boutique aesthetics, which is more consistent across these chains.  

In all fairness, we have Holland America, Princess, and maybe Cunard competing in the premium mass market.  X has been, and increasingly so, different when it comes to decor and furnishings.

• Like 1