Caribbean in July???

jdwilliams1

I no one can predict the weather (hurricanes) but any reason to be concerned about scheduling a cruise in southern or eastern caribbean in July.  Any advice as to what precautions should be taken if reserving a cruise in that region in July?  Cruise insurance etc?

Thank you in advance

Much of the southern Caribbean is below the hurricane zone so that would not be a factor there.  And the hurricane season just means the time of year where conditions are favorable for storms to develop - not a guarantee that they will.  Just book your plans as you see best for you and take out the insurance, which is prudent for any cruise, and enjoy your cruise.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, jdwilliams1 said:

I no one can predict the weather (hurricanes) but any reason to be concerned about scheduling a cruise in southern or eastern caribbean in July.  Any advice as to what precautions should be taken if reserving a cruise in that region in July?  Cruise insurance etc?

Thank you in advance

What do you mean by “cruise insurance”?  I do not think you can insure against weather?    Whatever insurance (health/evacuation is all I consider) you would want for any itinerary/season should apply to a July Caribbean cruise.

The chance of a hurricane is pretty slight in July - ocean warmth, which builds up until August/September, is what fuels tropical storms; but in any case a change in itinerary is your greatest risk.

Precautions for cruising in July ????

Thousands and thousands of people cruise the Caribbean in July , on ships fully booked months in advance, without worrying about much more than a slim chance of itinerary change which can happen anytime from June thru November .

Just go with the flow .

• Like 1

I think stressing out about the weather is one of the worst things you can do. No one can predict it. It's counter-productive. Hurricane season is unpredictable, but the cruise lines will do all in their power to not cancel a cruise. Some land vacations don't get that same luxury.

With that said, July is probably the last month I would ever choose. Prices through the roof, more kids, and if you do want to talk weather, it will be hot.

• Like 1

IF there is a storm, the ship will do everything in it's power to avoid it.  That could mean switching ports/routes, etc...  They will not intentionally put you in the path of a hurricane!

Cruise insurance is always a good idea, unless your pockets are deep and you can afford the loss of what you spent!  

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, Joebucks said:

I think stressing out about the weather is one of the worst things you can do. No one can predict it. It's counter-productive. Hurricane season is unpredictable, but the cruise lines will do all in their power to not cancel a cruise. Some land vacations don't get that same luxury.

With that said, July is probably the last month I would ever choose. Prices through the roof, more kids, and if you do want to talk weather, it will be hot.

I agree with Joebucks as well as the other comments.  Weather/hurricane season is the least of my concerns in July, though it will be searing hot in the southward direction, which my family hates, which is furthermore why our August cruise this year is going up to Eastern Canada from New Jersey.  Prices are terrible in summer.  Every sailing will be at max capacity, meaning not only are all the cabins full, but furthermore the maximum number of extra berths will also be full.  If you must travel on a kid's school schedule, spring break seems to be cheaper, though flights are ridiculous at that time and the ships also get completely filled to  max.

As others note I would never cruise these days without insurance.  Even if someone gets nasty sick one time and we can't go, it will be worth it, not to mention all the other things that could go wrong.

• 1 month later...

We always cruise in July and never worry about the weather (but then, we lived at the beach in Florida for years and went through our share of hurricanes, so we're jaded). If a hurricane does happen, the cruise line will most likely just divert to other ports or add more sea days outside the storm's path. My philosophy is that any day on a cruise is a good day.