Pacific - not dead yet..Tahiti 2020

Cruise Junky

13 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

One does not book the Pacific Princess for its high speed WiFi, nor its fabulous TV choices and giant screen TVs. 😉 

But we really enjoy spending time before going to sleep relaxing on our computers and I don't want to have to run down the hall in my pjs to do so.

6 minutes ago, compozer said:

But we really enjoy spending time before going to sleep relaxing on our computers and I don't want to have to run down the hall in my pjs to do so.

I used to open our Deck 3 cabin door 4 inches, stick my iPad out of it while in jammies (or worse), get a signal, and then retreat again into our cabin.  Actually, we found it better on Deck 4 and also in the Library and Internet Room. But, generally speaking, those were some internet-deprived cruises.

Maybe a solution would be to bring a door stop? Seriously, WiFi right outside OS 8067 was a LOT better with the door open.

Room Steward was asking if I was ok when he saw me on my tablet and sitting on the floor outside our cabin.

Yes, everything was fine except the weak WiFi signal. Lol

cflutist,

That is a great idea.  We recently did a cruise with the new medallion and I purchased the unlimited internet.   It was so fast and I did not waste much time on it.   It was like back in the day of the free unlimited for suites.

14 minutes ago, compozer said:

cflutist,

That is a great idea.  We recently did a cruise with the new medallion and I purchased the unlimited internet.   It was so fast and I did not waste much time on it.   It was like back in the day of the free unlimited for suites.

I stick the trash can in the door to wedge it open. If you're to far from the repeater, the signal has trouble getting through all that metal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I stick the trash can in the door to wedge it open. If you're to far from the repeater, the signal has trouble getting through all that metal.

That's a great idea too, thanks!

11 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

As mentioned, don’t just watch...I’d also make it clear on your roll call that you’re very interested. I’ve always told my roll call ahead of time if I was cancelling a prime cabin. 

19 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Don't just watch...get on the wait list or you might miss out.😉

Great suggestion.  I paid my deposit and I am number 1 on the waitlist for an OS on Honolulu to Papeete portion.  

Thank you.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I used to open our Deck 3 cabin door 4 inches, stick my iPad out of it while in jammies (or worse), get a signal, and then retreat again into our cabin.  Actually, we found it better on Deck 4 and also in the Library and Internet Room. But, generally speaking, those were some internet-deprived cruises.

Since PescadoAmarillo is to modest to toot her own horn, I suggest that all you lucky cruisers worrying about communicating go over to her Blog ( Yellow Fish cruises ) especially on the two seasons of cruising the South Pacific for all her knowledge and hints about Cellphone/Data Services and where to try and find WiFi services (some consumption of Hinano Beers may be required 😋).

As an aside to Jeanne, I wonder how many of your Blog readers are somewhat disappointed that you aren't going to be able to keep us in suspense until the last moment for where you are going to be cruising in 2020 😉 no matter we all really love reading it everyday you cruise!

Best of luck and smooth seas to everyone on these Itineraries.

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Great suggestion.  I paid my deposit and I am number 1 on the waitlist for an OS on Honolulu to Papeete portion.  

Thank you.

I have never heard of a waitlist for a cabin.

Did you call Princess to put you on it?

We got the cabin we wanted for this cruise but something to know for the future.

And your hint about getting on the Roll Call is a good one.

When we have to cancel a cruise, if we have a good cabin I always let the Roll Call know before I cancel.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

We got the cabin we wanted for this cruise but something to know for the future.

When we have to cancel a cruise, if we have a good cabin I always let the Roll Call know before I cancel.

I’ve been on waitlists before, albeit unsuccessful.....

Bob

1 hour ago, chamima said:

A few years back I was number 8 for the grand suite on a LA/Tahiti/LA cruise.   I figured we would never get it but continued to check daily.  To my surprise on a Sunday afternoon, I saw it was available.  I had just started to use a new TA and did not have her cell number yet so I called Princess.   At first they told me they could not do anything because I was using a TA.   Somehow, I talked her into changing my cabin and I got it.

SO, if you really want a certain cabin, do get on the waitlist BUT also check daily.  Not sure if I got it because it was on a Sunday but so happy I was persistent.  

2 hours ago, chamima said:

I am waitlisted for a category of cabin.  The OS is fully booked and I booked a PH.  I asked the Princess rep to put me on the waitlist for an OS.  It is not a particular cabin number, just the category.  She told me I was number one on the list and they would let me know if one becomes available.  If it does, Princess will send me an email with the price and I I’ll have 48 hours to decide.  She assured me that the process works, but I do fear that someone might jump ahead of me.

But I have done this successfully with a previous cruise.

I do not 100% trust the process, so I will be checking and monitoring the roll call.

I initially put the cruise(s) on hold while I evaluated the Regent option.  I then called to pay the deposit.  I will transfer my booking to one of two TA’s within the next 60 days.

Edited by jagoffee

54 minutes ago, compozer said:

A few years back I was number 8 for the grand suite on a LA/Tahiti/LA cruise.   I figured we would never get it but continued to check daily.  To my surprise on a Sunday afternoon, I saw it was available.  I had just started to use a new TA and did not have her cell number yet so I called Princess.   At first they told me they could not do anything because I was using a TA.   Somehow, I talked her into changing my cabin and I got it.

SO, if you really want a certain cabin, do get on the waitlist BUT also check daily.  Not sure if I got it because it was on a Sunday but so happy I was persistent.  

Not too sure that the other 7 people on the waitlist were has happy.  Thus the reason that I will keep monitoring the cruise.

2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Not too sure that the other 7 people on the waitlist were has happy.  Thus the reason that I will keep monitoring the cruise.

I know!   That really bothered me at first.   But someone else, not on the list , could have booked it if I didn't.   

I have heard that a cabin turns over 8 times before the cruise sails.   That really is hard to believe.    But, if that is true  - I was number 8 - I would have gotten it anyway!!!

Gee - now I am going to feel bad all day - thanks😉

18 minutes ago, compozer said:

I know!   That really bothered me at first.   But someone else, not on the list , could have booked it if I didn't.   

I have heard that a cabin turns over 8 times before the cruise sails.   That really is hard to believe.    But, if that is true  - I was number 8 - I would have gotten it anyway!!!

You really shouldn't feel bad.

You are correct that someone not even on the waitlist could have gotten it.

If that waitlist was functioning as it should have you wouldn't have been able to get that cabin at all.

• Like 1

Hello,

i just booked the Pacific Princess for the 10 night RT Tahiti Cruise on October 5th. 2020. There are 3 of us booked in an inside cabin (8037) and we are looking to move to balcony cabin 6025. We just noticed that this is right above the cabaret lounge.  Since I have never cruised a ship this size we are wondering how much activity and noise will be heard. Any input would be much appreciated!

Barb

Edited by DCL4ME

1 hour ago, compozer said:

Sorry, although I know you are kidding.  

Your experience does show that the Princess system might not work as advertised.  Since you were on the waiting list, you should have been notified.

Obviously  Princess should not show a cabin available on line if there is a waitlist.

You just worked the system.  I would have done the same thing.  Perhaps the waitlist was deleted in error.  Not your problem to “figure out”.

CentslessCruiser- awww, gees, thanks! 😊 But there is still much suspense to be had!!!  The odds of a season unfolding exactly in the manner we initially booked it is about 20% (readers have no idea of all the changes that happen behind the scenes). And then there’s the impact to this year’s season.  Will we do it at all? Shorten it? Cheapen it?  What does life have in store?  Let’s just say I’m not starting a packing list. 

On 4/19/2019 at 8:23 AM, chamima said:

So how does one get on a waitlist for a particular cabin?

Call Princess direct?

Ask the TA to do it?

Some other way?

If your cruise is booked with a TA, then you need to contact your TA to get on a waitlist for another cabin.

If you have no booking at all yet, you could either use yoiur TA or Princess.

In either case, as others pointed out, monitor the Princess web site to see if a cabin that you want becomes available. Apparently the process of filling waitlists is done manually, not automatically. So if you see the cabin you want, immediately put it on hold on the Princess web site. Then contact your TA (or Princess if not using a TA) to complete the booking process.

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

If your cruise is booked with a TA, then you need to contact your TA to get on a waitlist for another cabin.

One has to waitlist a "category" not a specific cabin.

Although when checking the website daily one never knows what one might find.

Okay - We're booked!

Elite booking opened up while we were on Grand and the FCC opened up a few minutes early so we would get best choice of cabins.  We're booked on the Sept 26 HNL - PPT leg and the following Oct 5 PPT - PPT leg.  When we booked the Elite window had been open only about an hour, every category was available at that time, does look like it attracted a certain amount of attention but certainly not a 'stampede' to book.  We were told we were the only pax on Grand this week who showed the slightest interest in booking Tahiti - even though Lisa had been instructed to put the literature out a few days to stimulate interest.

First time on Pacific, and very much looking forward to a return to the South Pacific after a 20 year hiatus!