Does Princess require you to book seats for the theater shows?

Moxiefurball

My sister in law has a work friend who cruises regularly who said you need to book seats for the shows otherwise you won’t get in.  I’ve cruise over 10 times, although not since 2012, and we are going on Med cruise in June.  But I’ve never heard of this , has anyone else?

on allegiant airlines - they charge you to pick your own seats based on where you want to sit ... but you still

have the option to be 'assigned' a free seat - and maybe not with the others in your traveling party ...

Dear Princess ... give me a call ...:classic_ninja:

Thanks I’m glad Princess hasn’t gone there yet.  My last time on Royal, Freedom of the Seas didn’t have reservations , I guess it’s because of the super super Mega ships they have but Princess I think is going to build one bigger than any RC ship, so at some point does Princess follow suit.  Only time will tell 

21 minutes ago, Moxiefurball said:

Thanks I’m glad Princess hasn’t gone there yet.  My last time on Royal, Freedom of the Seas didn’t have reservations , I guess it’s because of the super super Mega ships they have but Princess I think is going to build one bigger than any RC ship, so at some point does Princess follow suit.  Only time will tell 

In a 2017 promotional video for MedallionClass their VP of sales stated there would be a cool option with MC to pre-reserve theater seats.

Thankfully that hasn’t happened but that option was planned to be implemented.  Who knows why it wasn’t added but many who posted in those discussions felt like me...no pre-reserved seats & first come, first seated.

Princess has announced a new class of ship beginning in 2023...at 175,000 GT & 4,300 passengers.  Those two primarily LNG powered ships are still smaller than RCL’s 225,000 GT, 6,00O passenger ships.

But as you wrote only time will tell.

As everybody has reported there are no reserved seats for any show in the theater or in other show lounges. For mid evening production shows arrive at least 30 minutes early, sometimes 45 minutes for the more popular shows. For entertainers such as comics, singers, musicians, magic you can arrive 20 to 30 minutes early. Later evening shows and pre-dinner shows are not as crowded. In addition to the theater some ships have entertainers in the Vista Lounge or Explorer's Lounge. These venues are not as large and you have to arrive early. Same with the Universe Lounge on the Coral.

I would recommend NOT showing up at the shows 10 minutes before the show starts or you will be disappointed.    As others have said try and show up the first time around 40 minutes early then you can judge for yourself what the crowd will be like. Of course that will depend on if the crew has the doors open.   If not you will have to stand in line.    I think 30 minutes would be the latest we would show up to see a show.  Each cruise is a bit different.  

10 hours ago, Coral said:

On the new ships (not released yet) - reserved Theatre seating is listed as an amenity for sky suite cabins:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ex-enchanted-princess/

And, I suspect, there will be a small section reserved for sky suites rather than actually having reservations and selecting seats.

With only two sky suites, I doubt the number of seats allocated will be large.

15 hours ago, Coral said:

On the new ships (not released yet) - reserved Theatre seating is listed as an amenity for sky suite cabins:

When we sailed on the Oasis of the Seas they had a prime area of seats roped off for those in suites who showed up.  Just prior to show time if there were seats unoccupied they removed the ropes and anyone could sit there.

So for people showing up 30 min before shows - why? Is it because you want/need specific seats? We have always walked in no earlier than 10 min before the show and had seats available. They are not "prime" seats, but you can see and hear the show just fine. We do go to second showing normally (10 pm?) and are only a group of 3.

8 minutes ago, nattie said:

So for people showing up 30 min before shows - why? Is it because you want/need specific seats? We have always walked in no earlier than 10 min before the show and had seats available. They are not "prime" seats, but you can see and hear the show just fine. We do go to second showing normally (10 pm?) and are only a group of 3.

Yes, for many itineraries the late show will have seats easily available.

1 minute ago, nattie said:

If you go to the later shows it isn't as difficult to find a seat. These were mostly 9:30 on our last Emerald cruise. The earlier shows do fill up. I have been to popular early production shows where those arriving 30 minutes before show time had difficulty locating a seat, and with some single seats available couples had to split up. For entertainers you normally can arrive closer to showtime.

2 hours ago, nattie said:

If you hadn't noticed Princess is an early crowd.  LOL   Most are in bed by 10 pm.   So just like going to later anytime dining and shows you will have a much better chance of finding a good seat.  Later shows are great if you can keep your eyes open.  😁

Early shows we have shown up 30-40 minutes in advance. I bring a drink and my phone (for my book) and I'm fine. I can get a Chairman of the Board or a 24k Margarita in a "rocks" glass so it's easy to carry and easy to deal with in the theater. If we arrive early we can get a seat where there is a nice railing on which to set the drink. (I really don't care for those little fold-out tables.) For later shows it's much easier to get decent seating without having to show up so early. It seems that many Princess cruisers don't stay up late enough for the "late" show.

2 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

We are travelling with Princess for the first time in November. Celebrity has a roped off area for suite guests in the theatre. Am I correct in assuming that’s not the case on Princess?

Yes, you are correct. I have never seen any "special seating" in Princess theater - with the exception of spots for wheelchairs pr those with mobility issues.

7 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

We are travelling with Princess for the first time in November. Celebrity has a roped off area for suite guests in the theatre. Am I correct in assuming that’s not the case on Princess?

No and IMO they don't need to put one in either!

We sail in suites often and I don't want/need a special area in the theater.

If I want a specific seat/area I will get there early and find my own

If you want a good seat get to the theater earlier.

• Like 1