Cancel and rebook for huge price drop?

Dee_Jay

We're booked on the Star Princess to Alaska on April 27, so we're long past the final payment.

The price of our cabin just dropped by about $1400 pp.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to cancel using the Princess Platinum Protection Cancel for Any Reason, then book with the new price.

I realize the refund would be in the form of a future cruise credit, and I'm assuming that I can't use this to re-book the same cruise.

I'm mostly wondering if we'll be out any money other than what we paid for the insurance to being with.

And realize you may not be able to keep your cabin selection or any promos you may have.  I would check for all the above issues before doing anything and if you have a TA or Princess Vacation planner check with them to verify your choices

Others have done this. Though most I have read about immediately rebook it and use the credit on a future cruise as it takes a few weeks to process. You do need to re-buy insurance and lose the cost of the original insurance.

You would lose any perks like Sip & Sail or included gratuities.

You would have to re-apply for shareholder and possibly military OBC.

All Princess excursions would be canceled and have to be rebooked.  Price may have gone up. You may find one or more wait listed when you go to rebook.

Any thing else you signed up for or bought will probobly need to be repurchase/rebooked. some may not be available.

I have cancelled after final payment. My TA tried to get Princess to refare the cruise. They wouldn't do it so we cancelled and rebooked it at the same time with the same agent.  I had to accept a cabin to be assigned but it turned out better than my original cabin. You will loose your original insurance and any other perks you originally had and you will have to rebook your air (at current prices) if booked with Princess.

I found the insurance process very easy to do. One other condition, you must use the credits you get within one year.

• Like 1

Prices are phenomenal on that sailing and there are lots of cabins left. I do not see the “new bookings only” phrase in the fine print.

You may not even have to cancel. I have gotten price drops even after final payment just by calling and asking. Three drops on my upcoming cruise. I did have to switch cabins because that category sold out while I was on the phone with them. I actually like my new cabin better. I have saved well over $800 and did not lose any OBC.

If you booked with a travel agent they will have to call for you, and they should be willing to do so.

C8AAEDA6-8B04-43AA-97DE-B61A172710CA.png

Edited by D&L Thomas

On 4/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, Dee_Jay said:

We're booked on the Star Princess to Alaska on April 27, so we're long past the final payment.

The price of our cabin just dropped by about $1400 pp.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to cancel using the Princess Platinum Protection Cancel for Any Reason, then book with the new price.

I realize the refund would be in the form of a future cruise credit, and I'm assuming that I can't use this to re-book the same cruise.

I'm mostly wondering if we'll be out any money other than what we paid for the insurance to being with.

Just call Princess and ask for a price check...they will change the price on your booking...sometimes you may have to give up whatever "special" you may had had with your first booking...but you will have to decide whether or not you want to do the change.  If you have a good TA she would have already done that for you.

1 hour ago, myjillian said:

Just call Princess and ask for a price check...they will change the price on your booking...sometimes you may have to give up whatever "special" you may had had with your first booking...but you will have to decide whether or not you want to do the change.  If you have a good TA she would have already done that for you.

Do you mean that your TA would have found the reduction in price without your finding it?  Does this happen often for you?

1 hour ago, myjillian said:

They would do this well after final payment and less than 3 weeks from sailing???  

If that new rate is a FLASH Rate , forget any adjustment but it is worth a call to whomever you booked with if not.

Some have reported success with Princess  in a After Final adjustment on other Rate Codes. However this is soo close to sailing?