Husband's last name is different on documents

Demitoo

My husband and I are going on a cruise next week from Florida to the Bahamas and back to Florida. 1st time cruisers. My husband just received his birth certificate from his Mother who lives in another state and to our surprise, his last name is completely different than what he has been living the past 40 years. He called his Mother and she said she changed it when he was 6 months old and never told him. Smh! Has anyone ever experience this? He only has his driver's license and birth certificate. Does anyone know what else he can take to make sure we don't have any problems getting on and off the cruise or with customs while on the cruise? Thank you.

21 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Does he have a passport?

The OP said he only has a BC and DL.

But... is there any paperwork (probably court issued) explaining the name change? My last name also changed (when I was 4). There was paperwork explaining this, although I haven't had to use it in many decades.

If you have an issue, it will be with Immigration, not Customs. There is a significant difference.

How did he get his drivers license - did didn’t he have to show some ID or proof of age?

When I got my first license in NY at age 16, they accepted my baptism certificate - which showed my birth date as June 10. (Having been born at 12:30 AM on June 11, my mother felt REAL time was Easten Standard - so she told the church I was born on June 10).  Not until I saw my birth certificate when registering for the draft at age 18 did I realize I had been born on June 11.  There was no way I wanted to tell the NY Motor Vehicle people that I had an improperly issued license- so until I moved to CT at age 33,I lived with it— using my birth certificate with the CT DMV.

If he had more time, he could legally change his last name on his birth certificate to the one he is using.  Since that's probably not possible, I would have his mother email everything she has regarding his name change.  I would also gather up all of the records where he used his current name.  Then I would make an appointment at a passport office. It must be one in which he can have a passport issued that day.  He can also call the passport office and explain his situation.  He will need to get a passport photo for his appointment.
My son was able to get a passport on the spot when he showed up for an appointment with his information and proof that he was traveling that week.

Here is something I found online:

Question: The name on my birth certificate is my father's last name of Williams. When I was young, my mother remarried and applied for my social security card with her new married name Smith. So my social security and drivers license are Smith. All of my school records, bank records home records everything has always been the same as my drivers license and my social security card Smith. Will there be a problem getting my passport, I have a cruise in 3 months. 

Answer: The new passport will be issued in the name you enter in the application as long as it is supported by the name on your ID. If questions arise, you can present all documents bearing Smith as your last name to prove your identity.

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/name-on-birth-certificate-does-not-match-drivers-license-and-ss-card.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Demitoo said:

My husband and I are going on a cruise next week from Florida to the Bahamas and back to Florida. 1st time cruisers. My husband just received his birth certificate from his Mother who lives in another state and to our surprise, his last name is completely different than what he has been living the past 40 years. He called his Mother and she said she changed it when he was 6 months old and never told him. Smh! Has anyone ever experience this? He only has his driver's license and birth certificate. Does anyone know what else he can take to make sure we don't have any problems getting on and off the cruise or with customs while on the cruise? Thank you.

17 hours ago, MCC retired said:

You have to get this straightened out ASAP.

Name on the reservation must match the the 2 forms of ID that he is using .

Documentation that shows legal name changes may help get him onboard ..

MCC is correct.  Names must match or you must show bridging documents.  He also needs to get it straightened out legally ASAP.  I would suggest he talk to an attorney and file to have his name changed legally to the one he has been using.  

I'm suspecting that she never legally changed it.  Just started calling him the different name.  He is fortunate that she is still living.  They might be able to get the BC changed if she writes an affidavit to the vital records dept (or whatever that state calls it) telling what was done.  but again, he still might have to go to court to get it changed.  EM

Yea there is a very good chance he will not be allowed to get on the ship if the names don't match. You have to try and get this straightened out ASAP before the cruise. Have him ask his mother if it was a legal name change and if so does she have any documents. His best bet is to try and get a passport if he can get all the documents together. 

Edited by ajp_99
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I'm suspecting that she never legally changed it.  Just started calling him the different name.  He is fortunate that she is still living.  They might be able to get the BC changed if she writes an affidavit to the vital records dept (or whatever that state calls it) telling what was done.  but again, he still might have to go to court to get it changed.  EM

You are so right. She never changed it legally just started calling him by a different last name. I'll let him know to have her write an affidavit and go to court before we leave. Thank you. 

You may be denied boarding in Florida.  If the paperwork does not match between legal birth certificate and his driver's liscence the cruise line can deny boarding. Suggest you contact an attorney  and get a legal notorized document.

19 hours ago, Demitoo said:

You are so right. She never changed it legally just started calling him by a different last name. I'll let him know to have her write an affidavit and go to court before we leave. Thank you. 

“...go to court before we leave...” sounds simple.  If you are leaving next week, just how quickly do you think you can get time in front of a judge who will accept the “affidavit” - and give you a court order, or comparable document, satisfactory for the boarding process?

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Might be easier for him to get an ID that matches the BC so he can cruise, 

But the booking isn't in the name on the BC. If the name on the booking can also be changed (for a fee) that solution might be the only one that works, though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Might be easier for him to get an ID that matches the BC so he can cruise, and decide later what he wants to do about it.  Find out why she changed it, significance of that...EM

This makes sense - the BC is essentially the proof of citizenship - which is the governing document.  Most ID’s are based on BC’s rather than the other way around.

13 minutes ago, Philob said:

Sounds plausible, didn't even knew where mine was for 30+ years.  Found it in my mom's stuff when we moved.   

When you get married you need your Birth Certificate. NO one ever caught. Legally both of their names are wrong if the wife took what she thought was his name!

20 minutes ago, packer99 said:

When you get married you need your Birth Certificate. NO one ever caught. Legally both of their names are wrong if the wife took what she thought was his name!

In California (San Francisco anyway), just a gov't photo ID (passport, drivers license, green card, naturalization papers, military ID).  If the ID doesn't have a photo, then a certified BC is required with matching name.

On 4/13/2019 at 6:45 PM, Demitoo said:

Let us know how it goes. I am hoping it works out and you are able to go on the cruise.

Edited by ajp_99

My suggestion would be to try to get the name changed on the driver license (if one can be received in time -- some states issue them in the office, some by mail) to match the name on the birth certificate, and then change the name on the reservation to match the birth certificate, too.

After you get back, you can do the whole Legal Name Change In Court route to get back to being the name that he's always known himself as.  

And his mother is an idiot.  Just saying.