Whisper Cape Town to Greenwich - a segmenters view

Silver Spectre

I heard that some people had complained that there were only two formal nights this segment instead of the expected three, so they made the change.  It is particularly awkward for those of us disembarking tomorrow morning since our formal clothes have been packed for a week, and we want to go to the crew parade and dinner without looking out of place. 

At 5 am this morning, we were just leaving the mouth of the river having traveled very slowly all night.  It was a real treat to dock in Seville and have the experience of going through the lock.

This trip has been simply wonderful with very few and unimportant hiccups.  The weather has been mostly wonderful except for the heavy rain during our canoe excursion!  The staff has been excellent and the food mostly better than last year's world cruise with the possible exception of the dinners in La Terrazza.  Service in La Terrazza has improved greatly due to the efforts of a number of people.

We will miss everyone, but we are now looking forward to getting home and back to reality.  I hope the final segment of the world cruise is wonderful for everyone on board.

Hope to see you all some time in the future.

• Like 3

315 pax onboard as we sail to Lisbon for a dock at 8am. According to the Captain our lowest clearance on the river this morning was one foot!

Great to sail with you again Victoria, safe travels home to you both and also the Wellseasonds.

• Thanks 1

As we sail into Lisbon to finish this segment of the WC a reminder of the day time dress code ‘guests are reminded to remove hats (excluding hats or head coverings worn for religious reasons) during meal times’. So far I have seen three violations of this rule, all by US citizens wearing baseball hats.

Just what is their problem?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

As we sail into Lisbon to finish this segment of the WC a reminder of the day time dress code ‘guests are reminded to remove hats (excluding hats or head coverings worn for religious reasons) during meal times’. So far I have seen three violations of this rule, all by US citizens wearing baseball hats.

Just what is their problem?

I witnessed a right to do recently in Lindos in Rhodes. An extremely large and loud person asked to wait at the entrance to the church (Easter week) made a huge noisy fuss about being asked to wait 5 minutes for the service to finish. Apparently that wasn't convenient for her schedule. After 5 minutes of very loud protestation, I Took great delight at the small,  finely moustached greek lady exasperated at trying to convey to her to remove her hood, finally just grabbed it and pulled it off her. She wasn't very pleased. I'm glad I wasn't on her bus back.

I was also appalled by the Chinese people in Oia, Santorini clambering over peoples roofs and into their gardens for their photos.

Edited by Daveywavey70
autocorrect
  • Haha 1

Not too mention the "lady" with a backside so wide  that it scraped both walls at the same time and sent several fridge magnets flying. I was tempted to tap her on the shoulder and suggest maybe she should carry the donkey but my inate class prevented me from doing so, an unusual intervention of decorum on my part.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Silver, great shots! I"m having a hard time finding the exact place - it is across from the Hotel Avenida Palace and the Rossio train station? If so, we're going to be right there in November, staying a night at Avenida Palace. Maybe we'll sneak in and have a drink for you! 

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Silver, great shots! I"m having a hard time finding the exact place - it is across from the Hotel Avenida Palace and the Rossio train station? If so, we're going to be right there in November, staying a night at Avenida Palace. Maybe we'll sneak in and have a drink for you! 

It's across the road in the Alti Avenida

We seem to have picked up a bit of motion overnight, but thankfully nothing like the washing machine spin cycle that TTS and CP are experiencing on the Wind.

Apparently we disembarked 53 guests yesterday and embarked 73 newbies. I am not sure where they surplus has been stowed as the ship was pretty full on the last segment.

Apart from the ropey Internet the only other gripe is the forward elevator, which was out again all day yesterday, for the fourth time in the last couple of weeks. It only reappeared around dinner time. This is making life difficult for those who are infirm and are located on the lower decks.

42 17 1N 9 45 36W

15c and sunny.

We are heading due north with a swell of a couple of metres and an occasional thud at the pointy end, still rolling a little. We have left Portugal on our starboard side and will change course towards Bilbao sometime this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Weather conditions are expected to deteriorate this afternoon according to the Captain, winds increasing to 45 knots and seas up to 3 metres.

3 metres? Hah! 'Tis barely a flesh wound. 

• Like 1