What happens to the Cuba cruises?

florisdekort

32 minutes ago, ptrpanpens said:

Hi Bonnie,

What does “in the same category” mean? Does this mean, for instance, if you booked a transatlantic, you can book another transatlantic for the same price as you paid for the Original TA? Or does it mean that, if you booked an ocean view on a transatlantic cruise that visits Cuba, you would be able to an ocean view on any other cruise on Azamara regardless of he itinerary for the same price as you paid for your existing cruise? If the latter, that would be an especially amazing deal. How do we get clarification?

Also if you booked through a TA will Azamara be reaching out to the passenger booked or only to the travel agent?

thank you for your help.

Anne

Here is the actual wording.  Doesn't reference the "same category" on different sailing issue. I thought the original wording was strange.  Not likely we would be able to substitute this crossing for our 26 day Cape Town to Dubai sailing. 😏

And, I've already asked.  The $500 OBC referenced is NONrefundable, which is fairly useless to us since we already have OBC.

Dear Travel Partner,
We're writing to inform you of some important changes to your client's itinerary 16-Night Westward Journey Voyage scheduled to depart Barcelona, Spain on Azamara Journey, November 5, 2019.
The United States government declared that effective immediately, educational and recreational (or people-to-people) travel to Cuba is no longer permitted. This new regulation prohibits travel from the U.S. to Cuba by cruise ship. As a result, this change requires us to immediately replace all Cuban ports.
We know this is disappointing, we are disappointed as well. We know how much time and effort goes into planning your cruise and we never like when circumstances impact your vacation. Regrettably, this decision is outside of our control.
This redeployment has allowed us to add some of our favorite ports of call in the region to the itinerary. Your clients will now enjoy a stop in Malaga, Spain, as well as, a call on Madeira, Portugal. Additionally, we have added an overnight in Hamilton, Bermuda. With this change we did need to remove the previously scheduled call in Key West, Florida. The details are clearly shown in the charts below.
Naturally, any shore excursions purchased for Cuba through Azamara, will be refunded or credited for new shore excursions in a new alternative port of call.
We invite your clients to select one of the compensation alternatives described below:
  • Remain on the sailing, in the same category booked, and your clients will receive a $500 onboard credit per standard stateroom or a $1,000 onboard credit for suites.
  • If they choose to cancel, a full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment however, they will not receive the other incentives described above. We will reimburse with proper receipts, up to $500 per person for non-refundable Airfare/Hotel changes. Protected commission only on bookings paid in full.
Please take some time to consider their options and review their personal calendar. We ask that your clients inform us of their decision no later than July 12th, 2019. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be ineligible for the compensation offered.
In the meantime, should you have any questions about this voyage, please call us at your convenience.
For Individual Reservations: 1-877-222-2526; press menu option 1, then menu option 1, again
For Group Reservations: 1-800-556-8208; press menu option 1
Thank you for your understanding. We take great pride in bringing every Azamara guest unforgettable experiences both onboard our ships and within our destinations. We can assure you that your clients' Azamara vacation will deliver the highest standards of service and quality for which we are known.
We look forward to welcoming your clients onboard.

Sincerely, Azamara
Click here to view the itinerary in your browser.

1 hour ago, ptrpanpens said:

Hi Bonnie,

What does “in the same category” mean? Does this mean, for instance, if you booked a transatlantic, you can book another transatlantic for the same price as you paid for the Original TA? Or does it mean that, if you booked an ocean view on a transatlantic cruise that visits Cuba, you would be able to an ocean view on any other cruise on Azamara regardless of he itinerary for the same price as you paid for your existing cruise? If the latter, that would be an especially amazing deal. How do we get clarification?

Also if you booked through a TA will Azamara be reaching out to the passenger booked or only to the travel agent?

thank you for your help.

Anne

Hi Anne,

yes, the latter...any cruise in the same stateroom or suite category!

So if you booked an oceanview, the new voyage will be in an oceanview.

And, our team is reaching out to both booked guests and agents. 

1 minute ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Anne,

yes, the latter...any cruise in the same stateroom or suite category!

So if you booked an oceanview, the new voyage will be in an oceanview.

And, our team is reaching out to both booked guests and agents. 

Bonnie

i just called AZ and they clarified that this means any cruise that will be substituting Cuba ports for other ports, except for the 2019 TA. In other words, Caribbean cruises that were Cuba cruises in 2019. That makes more sense as I doubt they would let you substitute the TA for a Capetown Cruise or some other expensive itinerary, even in the same category stateroom. 

People who booked cruises that change itineraries are always unhappy. It has happened to me several times without any advance notice. Back in April when Trump announced his new Policy restricting travel to Cuba, it was obvious that cruises to Cuba would not continue. I had been looking at taking a cruise that stopped in Cuba. I stopped looking. I know people who said that it did not affect cruises already scheduled to stop in Cuba. Wrong.  Unfortunately, borders can be shut down without any advance notice.  Itineraries can be changed without any advance notice. Just took a cruise that skipped 2 ports, rescheduled dates and times in other ports, and really messed up many people’s plans. That’s being on a cruise. I know that there are many guests are torn about going or not going on that cruise that has dropped Cuba. Go.  Enjoy the cruise wherever it goes. The extra OBC is a nice gesture. Someday there will be a president that reverses what has happened. 

• Like 4

So I just got the Cuba cruise e-mail from my travel agent even though the cruise I am booked on isn't going to Cuba. 🤔 I guess I will call in the morning and make sure my booking is all right.

We are booked on the Nov. 5 and received the message disclosed above from our TA who had received it from AZ.  We had been looking forward to Havana, and especially the AzAmazing evening scheduled at a theater in Havana.  But we booked the crossing to return to the States after a long stay in Europe, and it still works for us.  The new itinerary includes Malaga and Madeira and we love those ports, so we will make the best of it.  And we will make the best of the extra OBC that AZ has offered!  Already plotting how I can best use this benefit.

• Like 1

Our cruise isn't until 2020 but it's a 9nt Cuba Intensive cruise with all ports in Cuba except 1 day in Key West. It will be interesting how this all plays out.

UPDATE - Rebooked today. Azamara was very generous in their offer so we now have a 14 nt British Isles cruise with $1000 OBC. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

For those of us on the Nov. 5th crossing, the most frustrating thing is the totally different way they are approaching the changes.

We booked this cruise solely for Cuba and Key West.  Have been to Gibraltar many times and Bermuda over a dozen times.  Love going there but not the focus.

So, due to no fault of their own, Azamara has to cut the port.  Understood.  So how do they handle the change?  Those who book Cuba centric cruises are receiving, as the above example, a 14 day British Isles cruise with $1000 OBC.

The Nov 5th sailing, which many if not most booked FOR Cuba, gets a $500 non refundable OBC if you stay and a "have a nice day" if you bail.  Supposedly they were going to offer substitute cruises for us (this from an Azamara DM).  So far, no sign of any such offer.

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

For those of us on the Nov. 5th crossing, the most frustrating thing is the totally different way they are approaching the changes.

We booked this cruise solely for Cuba and Key West.  Have been to Gibraltar many times and Bermuda over a dozen times.  Love going there but not the focus.

So, due to no fault of their own, Azamara has to cut the port.  Understood.  So how do they handle the change?  Those who book Cuba centric cruises are receiving, as the above example, a 14 day British Isles cruise with $1000 OBC.

The Nov 5th sailing, which many if not most booked FOR Cuba, gets a $500 non refundable OBC if you stay and a "have a nice day" if you bail.  Supposedly they were going to offer substitute cruises for us (this from an Azamara DM).  So far, no sign of any such offer.

I don't think that is a fair comparison. Whilst I appreciate your disappointment, a transatlantic with a number of sea days and a couple of other ports and one day in Cuba is not the same thing as a Cuba intensive cruise. As I said I do get the disappointment of missing out on a Cuba stop, but it's essentially a repositioning cruise.

I have friends on this cruise and they, like many others I'm sure took it as a repo from Europe, albeit with a stop along the way in Havana. They are going to go with the flow. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I don't think that is a fair comparison. Whilst I appreciate your disappointment, a transatlantic with a number of sea days and a couple of other ports and one day in Cuba is not the same thing as a Cuba intensive cruise. As I said I do get the disappointment of missing out on a Cuba stop, but it's essentially a repositioning cruise.

I have friends on this cruise and they, like many others I'm sure took it as a repo from Europe, albeit with a stop along the way in Havana. They are going to go with the flow. 

Phil 

I see what you are saying Phil but it wasn't 1 day in Cuba it was 2,  We take 2 crossings every year and the purpose of this one was Cuba. If we wanted sea days and a couple of other ports we could have booked a $200 a day sailing (which we have done many times) instead of triple that on Azamara. Didn't expect a free cruise but a little more consideration. 

Those in regular staterooms received $500, those in suites received $1000.    We booked this cruise because it was a great value, second person on the stateroom was

50% off the regular rate.    Other cruise lines were not offering as much.   We still have the same length cruise now with 2 ports in Spain instead of Key West and Havana.   We are now back to staying overnight in Bermuda.    Sure the itinerary changed but my flights are still okay as we still depart on 11/5 and come back as scheduled.   

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

I agree, I hope to keep this cruise as well, so long as we can sort out the wreckage of our follow on plans which included a cuba intensive cruise.  But for the transatlantic, technically the cruise line did not have to give anything so they have been generous in recognising that for some the missing ports are an issue.  For me, losing Key West, which was happening without any recompense, was the far bigger issue.

Now all I need to hear about is where Journey is going to after the transatlantic and to see if I can rejig hotel and flights to work in.

19 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Our cruise isn't until 2020 but it's a 9nt Cuba Intensive cruise with all ports in Cuba except 1 day in Key West. It will be interesting how this all plays out.

UPDATE - Rebooked today. Azamara was very generous in their offer so we now have a 14 nt British Isles cruise with $1000 OBC. 

Our 11-night Cuba intensive isn’t until April 2020. Haven’t heard anything yet about rebooking. Did Azamara contact you? Did you get the same offer that the 2019 Cuba cruisers (except the TA) got? If so, that would be a nice deal, and I’ll start scouring the Azamara website for a replacement. 

3 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

Our 11-night Cuba intensive isn’t until April 2020. Haven’t heard anything yet about rebooking. Did Azamara contact you? Did you get the same offer that the 2019 Cuba cruisers (except the TA) got? If so, that would be a nice deal, and I’ll start scouring the Azamara website for a replacement. 

This is part of the email Azamara sent to my TA. 
Re-book on any other Azamara voyage, in the same category for the cruise fare paid or prevailing rate, whichever is more favorable. Also, you will receive a $500 onboard credit per standard stateroom or a $1,000 onboard credit for suites when you rebook on a new Azamara voyage. In addition, Azamara will reimburse with proper receipts, up to $500 per person for non-refundable Airfare/Hotel changes for domestic guests and $1,000 per person for non-refundable Airfare/Hotel changes for international guests.

If you choose to cancel, a full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment however, you will not receive the other incentives described above.

Azamara will reimburse with proper receipts up to $500 per person for non-refundable Airfare/Hotel changes for domestic guests and $1,000 per person for non-refundable Airfare/Hotel changes for international guests.

My TA called Azamara and, once she connected with the Cuba person, she was able to get the cruise I wanted plus the $1,000 OBC; the only thing that cost more were the higher taxes/fees for the replacement cruise. I still haven't received anything official in any email, but the Azamara Cuba person knew the details that your TA (and presumably others) received by email.  So this worked out very well - thanks so much for the heads up!

1 hour ago, Symmes99 said:

My TA called Azamara and, once she connected with the Cuba person, she was able to get the cruise I wanted plus the $1,000 OBC; the only thing that cost more were the higher taxes/fees for the replacement cruise. I still haven't received anything official in any email, but the Azamara Cuba person knew the details that your TA (and presumably others) received by email.  So this worked out very well - thanks so much for the heads up!

Glad you got what you wanted. My rebooked cruise showed right away on My Voyages page on theAzamara website. May I ask what you booked?

I traded my 11-night Cuba cruise for a 24-night Indian Ocean cruise, departing Mumbai on 12/28/19 and arriving in Cape Town on 1/21/20. I got the booking confirmation from Azamara, and just checked My Voyages and it’s there too. So I feel pretty good!

• Like 1