Are people really going to the MDRs in robes and bare feet?

WonderMan3

55 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

The rule about baseball caps in the MDR is definitely not enforced, over the years I’ve seen dozens of men wearing them.

Enforced on Silhouette in Feb, at least at the boarding day Concierge lunch. Happened right in front of me.

I thanked the hostess for making the guy take it off, she thanked me in return (for the support, I suppose). 

I have seen a robe and slippers wearer in the MDR, just once, a man eating alone, and it was at breakfast. 

17 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Enforced on Silhouette in Feb, at least at the boarding day Concierge lunch. Happened right in front of me.

I thanked the hostess for making the guy take it off, she thanked me in return (for the support, I suppose). 

I have seen a robe and slippers wearer in the MDR, just once, a man eating alone, and it was at breakfast. 

Good news, I was last on Silhouette in October, saw them then.

It's quite common in smaller hotels in Japan for people to go to dinner in robes and slippers. The idea is that you bathe before dinner in the hotel's hot pools, then don a yukata for the rest of the evening including going to hotel restaurants and bars. Sometimes even when going outside the hotel or ryoken although you might wear a happi coat over your yukata in that case. We got into the spirit of things in Miyajima and felt quite comfortable among similarly dressed locals. Not sure I'd like to see it on a cruise though.

IMG_0354.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 6:28 PM, WonderMan3 said:

Modern Luxury indeed!

8EA12996-34A2-46C2-B6CE-5698A44C1BF0.jpeg

Methinks it is a general sign to 'gently' remind those who did not read the website or information about dining in the evening on X that there is a minimum dress requirement.

Unfortunately, it is best to spell it all out, once again to guests, rather leave it to chance that someone will say 'the sign does not say that...'

bon voyage

I’ve been known to go down to a hotel breakfast buffet at the crack of dawn in PJs and robe, grab something and slip back up to our room. Would probably do it very late night in OV too. But not in MDR, never. And not to sit down and eat. Just to grab and go back to room. 

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I don't believe it has been 15 + years ago since I have seen this, so it wasn't you...but one formal night a group of several came into the main dining room in their white robes.

Definitely not us! We were in our robes the night following formal night.

DH and I wore clothes under ours and took them off soon after we sat down,  one couple did wear only their robes 😉. Our waiter was a good sport and laughed, the maitre d however, was not quite as amused!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's quite common in smaller hotels in Japan for people to go to dinner in robes and slippers. The idea is that you bathe before dinner in the hotel's hot pools, then don a yukata for the rest of the evening including going to hotel restaurants and bars. Sometimes even when going outside the hotel or ryoken although you might wear a happi coat over your yukata in that case. We got into the spirit of things in Miyajima and felt quite comfortable among similarly dressed locals. Not sure I'd like to see it on a cruise though.

IMG_0354.JPG

That sounds like a cultural tradition so it appears to be common in that country based on your description. In western culture it is not a custom or typical to see people having dinner in a restaurant (at sea or on land) in a bathrobe. And bare feet...that's not even allowed in nearly all food service establishments here in the States (bars and snack shacks at the beach or a pool would be the exception).

• Like 1

Hi all!  I don't own a swimsuit coverup. I haven't really found one that would seem to work well I guess. I'm 60 and not quite as thin and trim as when younger. So I wear a one piece with the skirt-type thing on it.  The coverups that I always see in catalogs don't seem like they would work with a thicker bathing suit. I think maybe I should get like a loose sun dress to use as a coverup?

Anyway, a couple of years ago when on a cruise to Alaska, I went to the pool to swim. I wasn't sure how to get to the pool in my swimsuit, especially since it was really chilly in Alaska. So I put my white robe on over my suit. My husband went with me, although he wasn't going swimming. 

I've since read here on cruise critic that it really isn't acceptable to do what I did and wear a robe out to the pool. Everytime I think of me doing that, I feel really embarrassed at myself. I wonder if the people in the elevator thought I was odd???!!!!!  yikes! I kind of think that maybe they were giving me weird looks when I thought about it later. Or maybe I just think they were. who knows.

Hey, I AM a country girl and didn't know any better!  ha!  But I won't do that again. 

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

That sounds like a cultural tradition so it appears to be common in that country based on your description. In western culture it is not a custom or typical to see people having dinner in a restaurant (at sea or on land) in a bathrobe. And bare feet...that's not even allowed in nearly all food service establishments here in the States (bars and snack shacks at the beach or a pool would be the exception).

Yes, it appears to be very much a cultural thing in Japan but we only saw it in smaller hotels in the smaller towns e.g. Takayama. It was quite surprising though. I didn't see it in Tokyo or Kyoto.

Definitely not a western custom. 🤣

1 hour ago, shealea said:

Hi all!  I don't own a swimsuit coverup. I haven't really found one that would seem to work well I guess. I'm 60 and not quite as thin and trim as when younger. So I wear a one piece with the skirt-type thing on it.  The coverups that I always see in catalogs don't seem like they would work with a thicker bathing suit. I think maybe I should get like a loose sun dress to use as a coverup?

I use a beach kaftan or a sarong wrapped at underarm level. The sarong is easiest.

9 hours ago, Marelaine said:

When you enter an elevator on a Celebrity cruise ship, look around, are the other passengers wearing robes and no pants

I have no idea as I don’t ask them to remove their robe to check if they are wearing any underwear 🙈 🤣.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, shealea said:

Anyway, a couple of years ago when on a cruise to Alaska, I went to the pool to swim. I wasn't sure how to get to the pool in my swimsuit, especially since it was really chilly in Alaska. So I put my white robe on over my suit. My husband went with me, although he wasn't going swimming. 

I've since read here on cruise critic that it really isn't acceptable to do what I did and wear a robe out to the pool. Everytime I think of me doing that, I feel really embarrassed at myself. I wonder if the people in the elevator thought I was odd???!!!!!  yikes! I kind of think that maybe they were giving me weird looks when I thought about it later. Or maybe I just think they were. who knows.

Hey, I AM a country girl and didn't know any better!  ha!  But I won't do that again. 

The robes are for use in the stateroom..and they  also can  give you ones to use at the spa if needed.     Many style coverups are available. A  sun dress sounds fine.. They sell colorful lightweight  sleeveless ones in many ports ..or you can get a terry robe in most stores for colder climates.  You were probably  just self conscious...

On 4/27/2019 at 6:30 PM, wrk2cruise said:

I've seen robes in the buffet in the morning.  Wouldn't surprise me to see them in the MDR at breakfast.

I've always seen a few robes in the buffet (not on cruises to cold places), but never in the MDR.

10 hours ago, shealea said:

Don't be embarrassed. I saw quite a few passengers in robes in the Solarium pool. I think a robe is fine if you're just going back and forth between your pool and cabin. 

Landsend.com has very nice coverups in regular and plus sizes. I love their swimsuits and coverups.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

Don't be embarrassed. I saw quite a few passengers in robes in the Solarium pool. I think a robe is fine if you're just going back and forth between your pool and cabin. 

Landsend.com has very nice coverups in regular and plus sizes. I love their swimsuits and coverups.

Agree - see absolutely nothing wrong with using it to go to the pool. It functions as a cover-up.

• Like 1

Oh well....a guy wearing (presumably) only a robe and swim trunks got airlifted off the Sky...can't imagine how cold those bare legs got on the way up! He was in the copter with me. Come to think of it, everytime I saw him around the ship he was wearing just a robe also. Was a bit chilly on the trip to swim in the aft infinity pool, so he probably frequented the spa. 

I just stumbled across this thread.  On our recent cruise on Solstice we ate breakfast in Blu most sea days, and there were a youngish couple (a man and a woman) who were seated with a large family group.  Every morning they wore their pajamas and slippers to breakfast in Blu, and nothing was said by the staff or anyone else - not that I would've said anything to them either because it's not my place, but it was just kind of like, Blu is a bit fancy, and it's a bit weird to not at least have everyday clothes on?

Most of the time I don't notice or care what people are wearing, but I noticed that because I was so taken aback by it!  I wouldn't have ever considered going into Blu in my pajamas! 😄

1 hour ago, felicityd said:

I just stumbled across this thread.  On our recent cruise on Solstice we ate breakfast in Blu most sea days, and there were a youngish couple (a man and a woman) who were seated with a large family group.  Every morning they wore their pajamas and slippers to breakfast in Blu, and nothing was said by the staff or anyone else - not that I would've said anything to them either because it's not my place, but it was just kind of like, Blu is a bit fancy, and it's a bit weird to not at least have everyday clothes on?

Most of the time I don't notice or care what people are wearing, but I noticed that because I was so taken aback by it!  I wouldn't have ever considered going into Blu in my pajamas! 😄

OH MY GOSH -- ok. Not even on a dress code level but on a hygiene level that is soooooo nasty! Do you know how many skin cells are shed in pajamas? And people don't wash them every day? And people sweat and do other stuff in their pajamas? Ugh, that's just gross. 

I know there is the POSSIBILITY of them getting up and putting on fresh new pajamas but if that was the case, why would you change out of pajamas just to put on other ones instead of a normal outfit? 

17 minutes ago, argogirl said:

I know there is the POSSIBILITY of them getting up and putting on fresh new pajamas but if that was the case, why would you change out of pajamas just to put on other ones instead of a normal outfit? 

It was definitely the same pajamas though I don't recall if I saw them wearing them two days in a row - we often didn't eat in Blu for breakfast two days in a row, so I can't say.  But it was weird.