Reflection Jan. 31 2020 hotel warning!

39august

I can't find a roll call for this cruise so am posting here. Anyone leaving on any cruise this date from Port Everglades or POM will find hotels to be very expensive and many are already sold out. This is the week end before Super Bowl. I just saw Embassy Suites on 17th St. is $1240 for one night. I found a Wyndom in Dania Beach for $269 with free cancellation. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

You should start the roll call.  Any one can start one and it doesn’t mean that you are organizing anything or running it.

We have experienced many times trying to book a hotel and found that they are sold out. 

It is for various reasons and one for Florida is that it is Spring Break.  It seems as if Spring Break now runs from mid Jan to end of April because it is now almost if not against the law to have the time off at Easter that use to be Spring Break.

We found you may have to go further inland to get a room and it could also be cheaper but you will have to pay more for transportation to the port.   Some will rent a car and then get dropped off at the port by their shuttle after turning on the car.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

There is a roll call for this cruise.  We are on it.

Yes we have talked about hotels being sold out or outrageously priced.  A good many of us have our hotels already.

Thanks for posting about this since some may not know and will fall off their chairs when they realize the price!

• Like 1

We got the Wyndom at Dania Beach for $269. Outrageous, but this is a new hotel and close to both airport and cruise port. Our favorite is Hyatt Place near the convention center. I usually get it thru' Value Trips. But it is sold out and is usually blacked out from Value Trips that time of year.  For Jan. 25, 2021 I will be booking a hotel very, very early!

• 2 months later...

We're staying at the same hotel as you was about the best rate we could find for that night.  There are others that are flying into Orlando and staying about half way and driving down the day of the cruise in order to find a reasonable hotel.  We are flying into Orlando on the 29th staying there over night and then driving to Dania Beach on the 30th for our stay pre-cruise.  The airline tickets were out of sight for us traveling from the upper Midwest so that's why a lot of us are doing the multi-city. To find our roll call for this cruise, go to roll call  under Celebrity, choose the Reflection, then the date and you should be there.

Joe

On 4/28/2019 at 4:42 PM, 39august said:

I can't find a roll call for this cruise so am posting here. Anyone leaving on any cruise this date from Port Everglades or POM will find hotels to be very expensive and many are already sold out. This is the week end before Super Bowl. I just saw Embassy Suites on 17th St. is $1240 for one night. I found a Wyndom in Dania Beach for $269 with free cancellation. Good luck.

We had a thread on this a few months back, you mentioned the Embassy suites being so expensive.  It also was 500,000 Hilton Honors points , usually would be around 30 thousand or so.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:49 PM, 39august said:

We got the Wyndom at Dania Beach for $269. Outrageous, but this is a new hotel and close to both airport and cruise port. Our favorite is Hyatt Place near the convention center. I usually get it thru' Value Trips. But it is sold out and is usually blacked out from Value Trips that time of year.  For Jan. 25, 2021 I will be booking a hotel very, very early!

Super Bowl in 2021 is currently scheduled for Tampa.  2022 in LA.  2023 in Glendale AZ (Univ. of Phoenix Stadium).

On 4/28/2019 at 4:08 PM, WestLakeGirl said:

There is a rollcall for that cruise; also other ships will be affected too, Silhouette, Equinox, Edge

You can scratch Silhouette from that list of affected ships.  Our Jan 31st 14 night sailing got cancelled because of the Grand Bahamas dry dock accident.  

I suppose you can use our roll call for reference for the things that we all did to work around the Super Bowl affected hotel pricing.  Our roll call figured it out pretty early and some of us were able to book before prices got entirely out of hand.  We were able to book the Ft Lauderdale Springhill Suites with points.  Of course we all ended up cancelling our hotel reservations except for the few that transferred to the Jan 31 Reflection cruise as their replacement.

BTW, air fare to FLL was similarly affected (and that was before seat capacity was reduced from the 737 Max problem).

Edited by mahdnc

On 4/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, miched said:

It is for various reasons and one for Florida is that it is Spring Break.  It seems as if Spring Break now runs from mid Jan to end of April because it is now almost if not against the law to have the time off at Easter that use to be Spring Break.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration.  Spring break does vary, but I don't think anyone has spring break at the end of January, LOL.  January is, however, peak Caribbean cruising season and hotels know that, plus the whole Super Bowl thing.

And where it is against the law to have spring break coincide with Easter?  My son's spring break for 2020 is the week that ends with Easter Sunday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

And where it is against the law to have spring break coincide with Easter?  My son's spring break for 2020 is the week that ends with Easter Sunday.

I think the poster probably means that schools cannot call the break "Easter Break" but now call it "Spring Break".  Although your son's break ends with Easter Sunday many schools have moved away from having the break follow the Easter holiday and instead have the Spring Break at at fixed time such as always the first week in March.  If that happens to coincide with Easter, it isn't a problem.

23 hours ago, mahdnc said:

You can scratch Silhouette from that list of affected ships.  Our Jan 31st 14 night sailing got cancelled because of the Grand Bahamas dry dock accident.  

I suppose you can use our roll call for reference for the things that we all did to work around the Super Bowl affected hotel pricing.  Our roll call figured it out pretty early and some of us were able to book before prices got entirely out of hand.  We were able to book the Ft Lauderdale Springhill Suites with points.  Of course we all ended up cancelling our hotel reservations except for the few that transferred to the Jan 31 Reflection cruise as their replacement.

BTW, air fare to FLL was similarly affected (and that was before seat capacity was reduced from the 737 Max problem).

Yep, Celebrity solved that problem for us by canceling the Silhouette on Jan 31.  Our roll call identified the problem early and many of us found ok deals,I had 2 nights at the Hyatt Place on 17th Street for $278/night.  You're also correct about the airfares.  When I switched to the Feb 14 date, I saved around $200pp.

45 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Perhaps a slight exaggeration.  Spring break does vary, but I don't think anyone has spring break at the end of January, LOL.  January is, however, peak Caribbean cruising season and hotels know that, plus the whole Super Bowl thing.

Our daughter is a teacher in Mi .  Their “spring break” is at the end of January.    They call it something else and they don’t have a long break after that. They no longer have a long Easter Break because of the Christian  connection.   Every school district is different and students at some colleges are in between semesters.  

It really doesn’t matter as the rooms get filled up because there is always something. Around  the ports I am sure it is mostly by those going on a cruise or coming back.   I think the more reasonable decent hotels get booked as soon as allowed as many have learned from prior experience.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

If anyone is looking for a reasonable hotel we had the Nobelton booked before the Silhouette was cancelled.  Small boutique hotel which didn't seem to be playing the gouging game.  They were very highly rated on Trip Advisor and were $160 per night.  I was looking forward to trying a non chain hotel in FLL.

Some Credit Cards offer a free night as one of the perks.  Our Bonvoy Card gets us a free hotel for 25,000 points (about $125 in low season) even though the quote in $$$ was well over $250 including taxes for  Late January for Equinox.

23 hours ago, miched said:

Our daughter is a teacher in Mi .  Their “spring break” is at the end of January.    They call it something else and they don’t have a long break after that.  🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Then it really isn't "spring break" is it?  Curious...how long is the end-of-January break and what kind of shorter break(s) do they get later?  I'm guessing the January one is more of an end of semester break.