Princess Kids Menu Question - Alaska

Ancon

We are traveling with our grandchildren for the first time (ages 9 & 10),  who are very pickey eaters.  I understand Princess has a Kids Menu, whose selections would satisfy them.  We have anytime dining, but plan on eating most of our meals in the food court.  

Our question:

Is the Kids Menu only available in the Main Dining Room or is it available in other dining venues (Food Court/room service etc) on Princess?

v/r

Ancon

The childrens menu is only available in the Main dining room.  Room service has a hamburger, hot dog, and grilled cheese.  I dont know of anything specifically geared to children in the buffet.  Pizza and hamburgers and hot dogs also available on the Lido deck.

Edited by stoneharborlady

MDR has a youth menu. Adults can also order from it also. I know there are fries, burgers, dogs and spaghetti w/meatballs. There is also an awesome dessert, the volcano. This is a very large banana split.

The buffet has all kinds of selections. The children can go and select whatever they like. The buffet is open from 6am until around 11pm every day serving all meals, plus afternoon and evening snacks. It never closes during that time. Watch the back page of the Princess Patter for theme selections in the buffet. The dessert buffet is an eye catcher.

There is pizza by the slice by the main Lido Pool. Also by the main pool is a grill serving burgers, dogs, fries, chicken, the kind of food youth like. You can also get soft ice cream cups or cones. These places are open from 11am until mid evening. All no charge. Milk shakes are also available for a small charge. The International Cafe open 24/7, no charge for food, serves muffins, danish and doughnuts for breakfast. For lunch and through the evening there are sandwiches, salads, desserts and soft cookies. 

If you are on the Royal Princess try Alfredo's Pizza, no charge. Certainly a kid friendly menu.

There is fresh made popcorn by the outdoor movies in the evening.

Summary, there are lots of places and items to select.

Not sure what the OP means by "picky eaters" ... but the food in the buffet and MDR offers a great opportunity for the kiddos to expand their horizons.

Yes, children's menus are offered in the MDR ... but the kiddos also are free to order off the regular menu as well.  Call it a culinary adventure

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pms4104 said:

Not sure what the OP means by "picky eaters" ... but the food in the buffet and MDR offers a great opportunity for the kiddos to expand their horizons.

Yes, children's menus are offered in the MDR ... but the kiddos also are free to order off the regular menu as well.  Call it a culinary adventure

Kids generally do not like culinary adventures. They like what they like, and they have since the beginning of time.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

Kids generally do not like culinary adventures. They like what they like, and they have since the beginning of time.

I understand what you say ... but I also feel that kids need to try new things, be it food or activities, and to understand they have choices that they actually may enjoy.  

• Like 1

The children will be fine and able to find things from the Kid's Menu in the MDR and things they would like and normally eat in the buffet. There's also the hamburger grill & pizza.  

Be sure and tell them in the MDR that they can order things off the Adult menu if they wish.  

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

Absolutely disagree.  The reason the kids menus are the same as what you would find in a fast food restaurant is that they are made with cheap and sometimes addictive ingredients.

8 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Absolutely disagree.  The reason the kids menus are the same as what you would find in a fast food restaurant is that they are made with cheap and sometimes addictive ingredients.

Just wondering if you have actually had food from the Kid's Menu on Princess?  

Many things are actually very good.  Adults sometimes order from the Kid's Menu.  :classic_wink:

Edited by OCruisers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ancon said:

We are traveling with our grandchildren for the first time (ages 9 & 10),  who are very pickey eaters.  I understand Princess has a Kids Menu, whose selections would satisfy them.  We have anytime dining, but plan on eating most of our meals in the food court.  

Our question:

Is the Kids Menu only available in the Main Dining Room or is it available in other dining venues (Food Court/room service etc) on Princess?

v/r

Ancon

They do have kids menus.  However, it's an amazing opportunity for kids to try new foods, and not have to "pay" for it, as you would in a restaurant on land.

If they like Chinese food, there is an amazing Asian shrimp dish in the MDR.

If they like burgers, they have an "Ernesto" burger, with bbq sauce and an onion ring in it - delicious!

If they like Mac and Cheese, they can try one of the dishes Princess is known for, their amazing Fettuccine Alfredo. 

If they like Grilled Cheese, have them try to Four Cheese Pizza on Glacier Bay day up by the pool. 

If they like Chocolate, have them try the Princess Love Boat Dream on the dessert menu in the MDR.

There are also lots of different sandwiches in the International Cafe to try. 

We have kiddos who love the beef tenderloin and salmon dishes on the MDR embarkation day menu. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Just wondering if you have actually had food from the Kid's Menu on Princess?  

Many thing are actually very good.  Adults sometimes order from the Kid's Menu.  :classic_wink:

They are actually pretty good! I have ordered the spaghetti several times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Just too many starchy carbs for us. 😞 

There is a nice green salad and fruit salad on the menu also.  I don't always want the salad Princess has on the menu that night but like a basic salad.

• Like 1

The only thing I've had from the kids menu is the Volcano. Kind of large for me! I have read here about people getting the spaghetti. They have all said it's quite good. I may order it as an appetizer one of these nights.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

The only thing I've had from the kids menu is the Volcano. Kind of large for me! I have read here about people getting the spaghetti. They have all said it's quite good. I may order it as an appetizer one of these nights.

I have also had

image.thumb.png.fd70c41494f8d8f94fe1d0bdb947bed3.png

• Like 1

Thank you all for the excellent and timely information/responses.  

I do have a follow-on question based on your inputs.

Question:  Can you order from the Kids Menu in the MDR and take the order "to go" and return to either your stateroom or the Horizon Court to eat?  We are traveling as 3 families and not all members are interested in a restaurant setting (MDR), especially after a long port day.  

Clarification/response to original post and responses:

a) Food Court is Horizon Food Court (Buffet)

b) Grandchildren have cruised on Disney with their parents, hence the Kids Menu question

c) Potstech - I took time to have a family dinner and SLEEP!!!

Again thanks to all you wonderful CC members.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ancon

42 minutes ago, Ancon said:

Question:  Can you order from the Kids Menu in the MDR and take the order "to go" and return to either your stateroom or the Horizon Court to eat?  We are traveling as 3 families and not all members are interested in a restaurant setting (MDR), especially after a long port day.  

No - you can not take any food out of the MDR. You can order hot dog or hamburger from the room service menu.

Our kids are super picky eaters.  I think our son pretty much survived on hash browns, fruit loops, pizza and french fries on our last cruise but he never went hungry.  The kids menu has some great options.  If there was something on the regular menu we requested that for them too ... our daughter likes plain shrimp cocktail and the "always available" was a caribbean cocktail so they made it plain for her every night.  One night corn on the cob was the side on a dish and we requested just the corn for the kids.  All staff are super accommodating.  Our server in the anytime dining room said keeping the kids happy was his priority so us adults could have an enjoyable meal too.  I'm sure your grand kids will find lots of options and maybe even try a few new things.  Enjoy your trip!

20 hours ago, bemis12 said:

19 hours ago, pms4104 said:

I understand what you say ... but I also feel that kids need to try new things, be it food or activities, and to understand they have choices that they actually may enjoy.  

be careful what you wish for ... our kids went from PB&J's / Chicken Fingers to Crab Legs and the occasional Lobster when we 'here, just take a bite' at our favorite local seafood restaurant back in the day ...