Love Bugs Infest the Harmony at Port Canaveral

I live in south Florida and we don’t get anything. You head up to Orlando and it is the worst. We left on oasis in March in canaveral and the whole boardwalk area was covered in black. Once u get moving, they all disappear. 

I actually noped out of a reservation at WDW/Contemporary once because I saw so many reviews about lovebugs (I think it was lovebugs) swarming guest rooms in the upper floors of the hotel.

To be fair, the Contemporary is stupid expensive so I didn't need much excuse.

Edited by perditax
  • Like 1

I did a Jupiter to Deland & back trip Tue & Wed on I-95. 

I had maybe 20% visibility out of my windshield by the time I got to Deland. Immediately went to a car wash.

On the trip home, not as bad but still bad. A timely downpour & traffic jam saved me from another car wash back in Jupiter. 🙂

They seemed the worst from Vero to northern Titusville area.

• Like 1

I drove to Miami a few days ago, from Naples via Alligator Alley.

The lovebugs were horrible, had to stop and clean my windshield several times because of 85% clear splat coverage. None seen from 30 miles outside Miami/ Lauderdale areas.

Hitting your windshield when your doing 80 sounds like small pebbles.

I have a new car and it’s well waxed, so they came off easily.

Annoying little horny buggers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, Ashland said:

So is this common to happen at this early May time frame every year? We'll be on HOTS out of PC next May 3rd and have never seen or heard about these before.

yes, they are common every May and Sept but this year they are the worst we have ever seen and we have lived in FL since 1991.  Just awful this year.  Hopefully, it will be over soon

20 hours ago, perditax said:

I actually noped out of a reservation at WDW/Contemporary once because I saw so many reviews about lovebugs (I think it was lovebugs) swarming guest rooms in the upper floors of the hotel.

To be fair, the Contemporary is stupid expensive so I didn't need much excuse.

It's crazy to give a hotel bad reviews because of love bugs.  They can't do anything about it.  Every other hotel will have the same issue.  Wait two weeks - problem solved.

Edited by CruisinCrow

I live 20 miles north/west of Port Canaveral....they are swarming all over my house.  Tough to open the door without one of the mating pairs finding their way in to the house.  I have a white SUV....they really love swarming all over that.  Won't even drive anywhere this weekend, not fun.  

On 5/12/2019 at 3:06 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Would you say by the last week of May it be better?

Hopefully.  The darn things are still swarming in masses around our area north of Port Canaveral and in Titusville.  Really nasty.  

On 5/7/2019 at 12:27 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

We drove from Ocala to Miami on Sunday. The love bugs were so thick that they sounded like rain hitting the windshield.  There were cars stopped everywhere at the service plazas on the Turnpike, trying to scrape them off with dry squeegees (used so much that all the fluid was gone) and lined up twenty deep to use the windshield washing stations.  We found a car wash as soon as we got to Miami.  Fingers crossed that they will be done by the time we return home on the 12th.

They were still present on the 12th, but not quite as bad.  We used the service plaza squeegee once, then 45 minutes later we had to stop again.  We sprayed windshield wiper fluid for a while, then used an old towel that we keep in the car and a bottle of water.  That worked much better than the squeegee.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:26 PM, island lady said:

I live 20 miles north/west of Port Canaveral....they are swarming all over my house.  Tough to open the door without one of the mating pairs finding their way in to the house.  I have a white SUV....they really love swarming all over that.  Won't even drive anywhere this weekend, not fun.  

White vehicle, big  mistake no matter what state you live in.  Years ago, I had a white vehicle.  I spent hours trying to keep it clean love bugs or not.  It was a never ending challenge.  The opposite end is a black paint job.  It gets dusty and needs really regular washing each week.

I prefer gray, but any other color than black or white works in my book, in regards to vehicle washing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gatour said:

White vehicle, big  mistake no matter what state you live in.  Years ago, I had a white vehicle.  I spent hours trying to keep it clean love bugs or not.  It was a never ending challenge.  The opposite end is a black paint job.  It gets dusty and needs really regular washing each week.

I prefer gray, but any other color than black or white works in my book, in regards to vehicle washing.

Totally agree.  I had a white car once.  Never again!

22 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

I thought the Mosquito was the State Bird of Florida???

I guess it's the price one pays for living in what is essentially swamp and land fill.

LOL...Yeah, we do have the skeets here...but they were much, much worse (plus biting flies) where I grew up in Michigan.  

I don't know...ever hear of the Okefenokee?  You may see some critters in your swamp up there.  😉

I would rather live in my swamp, than the concrete jungles of the big cities anyway.  Oh wait...didn't Shrek say that? 😄 

13 hours ago, gatour said:

Would not own a dark car in Florida.  Even worse dark leather seats.  Talk about 3rd degree burns as your car sits in the sun down here.  😮