Two misdeamanors....

Chapparal

I am thinking about a Mexican Riviera Cruise from Long Beach. I have two misdemeanors..one from 11 years ago for disorderly conduct...and one from 5 years ago which was a DUI...for that one I served unsupervised probation for three years...

Will I have trouble getting off the cruise ship in Mexico?  Thanks for any advice...

No, the worst that could happen is that you wouldn't be permitted to board the ship.  If you wanted to cruise to Canada, they wouldn't let you board the ship, even if you promised to stay on the ship.  However, I agree with Essiesmom that Mexico doesn't seem to care.

But I'd already be on the ship from Long Beach. I would think the only thing that could "possibly" happen is they don't let me get off at Ensanada or whatever Mexican city...I know Canada is different. I don't care about Canada. They can shove it. LOL. 

7 hours ago, Julie MacCoy said:

If you wanted to cruise to Canada, they wouldn't let you board the ship,

41 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

They run customs checks before you ever board the ship. As prior poster stated, if you aren’t allowed in Mexico they would know before you board and wouldn’t let you board.

No...cruise lines don't have access to the NCIC database so they can't check on your criminal record and deny boarding because of it.

Canada is the only foreign country with unrestricted access to the database. When they receive a ship's manifest, which is only after the ship departs, they review it and upon the ship's arrival in Canada may decide to deny entry to you.  Canada considers DUI a felony and may deny entry because of that offense.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

Actually, although not widely publicized, RCL does run background checks on everyone on the manifest 30 days prior to sailing.  And based on findings they can refund money paid at that time and deny boarding at their discretion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Ouch, so I'm getting conflicting reports here, also. It would be embarrassing to tell friends and family I"m going on a cruise to Mexico via Carnival Cruise Lines or whomever and then having to explain not being able to cruise....do they tell you right after you book or just 30 days before or do they wait until you are actually in Long Beach or do they not tell you at all, etc.

Does anyone here know for sure...it would most likely be the three or four day cruise from Long Beach to Ensanada in December...via Carnival....thanks for your help...

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually, although not widely publicized, RCL does run background checks on everyone on the manifest 30 days prior to sailing.  And based on findings they can refund money paid at that time and deny boarding at their discretion.

And just how does RCL conduct these background checks?  They don't have access to NCIC, and a ship with 5,000 passengers would not be practical.

Where in the world did you get that information?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chapparal said:

Ouch, so I'm getting conflicting reports here, also. It would be embarrassing to tell friends and family I"m going on a cruise to Mexico via Carnival Cruise Lines or whomever and then having to explain not being able to cruise....do they tell you right after you book or just 30 days before or do they wait until you are actually in Long Beach or do they not tell you at all, etc.

Does anyone here know for sure...it would most likely be the three or four day cruise from Long Beach to Ensanada in December...via Carnival....thanks for your help...

Call Carnival customer service and ask them or have your TA check into it for you. 

• Like 1

ok not exactly the same and really hearsay but i was traveling with my now ex-husband when he was in the middle of a case (not yet convicted) - we had no issue getting on the ship but as we were getting off at the end his card was flagged and we were taken into a room where they proceeded to search our luggage.  When I asked why we were being singled out like this I was told "ma'am, this is your husband, you should know".  As such, I would assume that RCI does not conduct security checks but there is a way flag passengers - I mean we were literally taken off the ship.....  I am trying to remember where were we went on this cruise, it was years ago, but I think it was Bahamas and Key West...  

I dont see why you dont reach out to both the embassy as someone suggested and RCI.  Imho that would be the safest thing to do.  

Who is RCI?  I can call the Embassy but from reading other posts am under the impression I won't get an answer. 

Also, I wouldn't use a travel agent. I would just book online or directly through the cruise line...Carnival most likely.  

5 minutes ago, Chapparal said:

Who is RCI?  I can call the Embassy but from reading other posts am under the impression I won't get an answer. 

Also, I wouldn't use a travel agent. I would just book online or directly through the cruise line...Carnival most likely.  

Royal Caribbean International. 

• Like 1

Yes, sorry, I should not have been cruise line specific - need more coffee this morning.  Ask Carnival when you book - I would think someone would be able to give you a definitive answer!  

It may well prove hypothetical in the long term .... the way things are going, after their recent Federal court skirmish regarding their breaches of environmental law,  Carnival may not be allowed to dock in the USA. I can’t see it happening but the judge isn’t a happy bunny.

We had a guy in a dive group that went with us to cozumel every year.  We would fly down.  Upon getting to cozumel he would get scrutinized entering Mexico and upon landing back in the US but he was never denied entry into Cozumel in the years we went when he was going 

8 minutes ago, nascarcruiser said:

We had a guy in a dive group that went with us to cozumel every year.  We would fly down.  Upon getting to cozumel he would get scrutinized entering Mexico and upon landing back in the US but he was never denied entry into Cozumel in the years we went when he was going 

Ok....I wouldn't think the misdemeanor thing would be a huge deal...I understand it is in Canada because they consider a DUI a felony....

12 hours ago, Chapparal said:

But I'd already be on the ship from Long Beach. I would think the only thing that could "possibly" happen is they don't let me get off at Ensanada or whatever Mexican city...I know Canada is different. I don't care about Canada. They can shove it. LOL. 

Mexican waters are still Mexico, so if they won't let you into Mexico they won't let you into Mexican waters, i.e., Mexico.  Getting off has nothing to do with it.

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No...cruise lines don't have access to the NCIC database so they can't check on your criminal record and deny boarding because of it.

Canada is the only foreign country with unrestricted access to the database. When they receive a ship's manifest, which is only after the ship departs, they review it and upon the ship's arrival in Canada may decide to deny entry to you.  Canada considers DUI a felony and may deny entry because of that offense.

Great response!  Also,  as you may know, not all misdemeanors are entered into NCIC, a fact most civilians are unaware of.

9 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Mexican waters are still Mexico, so if they won't let you into Mexico they won't let you into Mexican waters, i.e., Mexico.  Getting off has nothing to do with it.

Actually in Canada you are generally allowed to remain on the ship but not disembark. Only in very rare cases do they take someone into custody and arrest or deport them.

5 hours ago, Husky61 said:

And just how does RCL conduct these background checks?  They don't have access to NCIC, and a ship with 5,000 passengers would not be practical.

Where in the world did you get that information?

There are many third party companies that provide a variety of background checks, including criminal background checks.  While these may not have access to NCIC, they can search state and local court records and criminal databases, as well as sex offender databases.  I know that Carnival, at least, does screen all passengers through a sex offender background check.

• Like 2