Don't Buy Any Peter Max Artwork on Board!

kabloom

5 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Probably behind a paywall unless you havent read many Times articles lately.

Thanks for this.  Somehow this sounds familiar so I tried to remain somewhat vague.  So is the gallery part of this?

On 11/12/2019 at 3:23 AM, SRF said:

Just so you know, real vintage Fiesta wear is radioactive. 😄

The glaze has uranium in it. 

The modern stuff is not the same as the vintage stuff.

I don't know how old the stuff I used as a child at my Great Grandparents was - at least from the 1970's and likely much older.  I just remember it reminding me of Easter eggs with the pretty colors 🙂 

I kept the memory and let others keep the dishes 😉 

I think it comes down to..... some people love to shop.....

and they will buy whatever they fancy......

Me I go on holiday.... which does not equal shopping....

Cheers Don

Ps I am very choosy what a hang on my walls......

( we have a few originals / prints, but mainly my photos )

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:00 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Why do these “art dealers” do so well on cruise ships?  Perhaps because they know that cruise ships are full of gullible people - you know: the kind of people who pay an add-on to the basic fare because it gets them FREE DRINKS.

😄 Wha does this mean? 😄 

I agree about not buying the artwork,  Or most jewelry,  But I did buy some amber earrings that I loved and found a matching necklace on another ship.  I never saw them in a store or online.  But I only spent about $ 80 each.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

😄 Wha does this mean? 😄 

It means that there are enough gullible people on cruise ships to provide a sufficient customer base to justify putting “art” sellers and “art” on board.

There are a lot of posters on CC who insist on saying that, when the fare they pay includes a drinks package, they get “free drinks” - I believe that people who think that drinks they have payed for in advance are “free” are likely to also believe it when some fast-talking shill refers to cheap reproductions as collectible art.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are a lot of posters on CC who insist on saying that, when the fare they pay includes a drinks package, they get “free drinks” - I believe that people who think that drinks they have payed for in advance are “free” are likely to also believe it when some fast-talking shill refers to cheap reproductions as collectible art.

While I agree that nothing is technically free... Drink packages can most definitely cost average drinks downward, or provide "Free" drinks to heavy drinkers (Depending on your preferred accounting method). 

Case Study (Round numbers for simplicity - Water is $5, Drink is $10) 

- Bob buys an $70 drink package. 
- Bob drinks 5 bottles of water and 10 cocktails per day. 

Unless you're an absolute pedantic nit, It's feasible to make the statement that Bob got 3 "free" cocktails and 5 "free" bottles of water (saving $55/day) due to the package. 🙂 

Edited by Icon901

2 hours ago, Icon901 said:

While I agree that nothing is technically free... Drink packages can most definitely cost average drinks downward, or provide "Free" drinks to heavy drinkers (Depending on your preferred accounting method). 

Case Study (Round numbers for simplicity - Water is $5, Drink is $10) 

- Bob buys an $70 drink package. 
- Bob drinks 5 bottles of water and 10 cocktails per day. 

Unless you're an absolute pedantic nit, It's feasible to make the statement that Bob got 3 "free" cocktails and 5 "free" bottles of water (saving $55/day) due to the package. 🙂 

Sorry -  the “absolute pedantic nit” is the one who insists on calling something “free” because he got it for a good price.  

Do you believe that you got some “free” tires because the dealer threw them in with your car?

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nothing is free in life and on cruise ships.

Recalling having to pay an exit fee when leaving places like Mexico and Bermuda, I must dispute your statement— while our relatives or agents might be expected to cover what funeral homes refer to as “final expenses”, we, as individuals,  can exit this life without any charge whatsoever.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sorry -  the “absolute pedantic nit” is the one who insists on calling something “free” because he got it for a good price.  

Do you believe that you got some “free” tires because the dealer threw them in with your car?

That's a horrible example.

Here's a better example: If I need/intend to purchase four tires and a store offers a deal to buy 3 and get one free, I'm guessing you'd argue that tire wasn't free, right? I was going to spend $1000 but ended up only having to spend $750 to satisfy the need/want. 

If so, we'll call it a agree to disagree.  Cheers! 😉 

34 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

Here's a better example: If I need/intend to purchase four tires and a store offers a deal to buy 3 and get one free, I'm guessing you'd argue that tire wasn't free, right? I was going to spend $1000 but ended up only having to spend $750 to satisfy the need/want. 

A truly horrible example for the point you seem to be trying to make -- when you walked out with four tires for $750 - each one cost you $187.50.  The fact that they clearly  would not have let you pick the "free" one and walk out with it obviously means there was no 'free" tire.  

There does, however, seem to be the sort of consumer ad writers dream about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Recalling having to pay an exit fee when leaving places like Mexico and Bermuda, I must dispute your statement— while our relatives or agents might be expected to cover what funeral homes refer to as “final expenses”, we, as individuals,  can exit this life without any charge whatsoever.

My post was a philosophical statement .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Icon901 said:

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A truly horrible example for the point you seem to be trying to make -- when you walked out with four tires for $750 - each one cost you $187.50.  The fact that they clearly  would not have let you pick the "free" one and walk out with it obviously means there was no 'free" tire.  

There does, however, seem to be the sort of consumer ad writers dream about.

Well, I think your are both right.  Just a different point of view.   Beer cost $6.  They go on sale for buy one get one free.  So I buy a beer for $6 and get a second one for free.   Or, I buy two beers for an average of $3 each.  Kind of like talking about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  😀😀 😀

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Well, I think your are both right.  Just a different point of view.   Beer cost $6.  They go on sale for buy one get one free.  So I buy a beer for $6 and get a second one for free.   Or, I buy two beers for an average of $3 each.  Kind of like talking about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  😀😀 😀

Not at all, it is simply about knowing what words mean:   if you can get one beer by paying $6, you are buying a $6 beer.  If you get two beers for $6, you are buying two $3 beers.  For something to be free, you have to get it for nothing - buying that first beer is not nothing - it is what induced the guy with the beer to give you the second one - admittedly not making you pay any more - but you had to give him something (buying that first beer) - which  means that what you got (that second beer) was not free.

Keep thinking that your are getting something free if it makes you feel happy - because your feeling happy because you think you are getting something free sure makes the guy telling you that you are getting something free  feel happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not at all, it is simply about knowing what words mean:   if you can get one beer by paying $6, you are buying a $6 beer.  If you get two beers for $6, you are buying two $3 beers.  For something to be free, you have to get it for nothing - buying that first beer is not nothing - it is what induced the guy with the beer to give you the second one - admittedly not making you pay any more - but you had to give him something (buying that first beer) - which  means that what you got (that second beer) was not free.

Keep thinking that your are getting something free if it makes you feel happy - because your feeling happy because you think you are getting something free sure makes the guy telling you that you are getting something free  feel happy.

I think a lot of folks have a different point of view.  Anyway, thanks for saying it is OK for me to enjoy my free beer.  😀

I think many businesses view the "free" item more in line with @navybankerteacher.  If I purchase something on sale that is B1G1Free (or similar sale), the receipt reflects the discount across both items for return purposes.  Even the "free" drinks programs usually have gratuities based on the sales price, and often the fare is higher on cruises that include more perks.

Either way, enjoy your beer🍻

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think a lot of folks have a different point of view.  Anyway, thanks for saying it is OK for me to enjoy my free beer.  😀

You're confusing the difference between 'free' and 'included'.

Anyone familiar with marketing will tell you that the best way to close a deal is to offer something for 'free'.