Don't Buy Any Peter Max Artwork on Board!

kabloom

You can't be guaranteed he actually painted the piece. Check this out: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/business/peter-max-dementia-cruise-ship-auctions.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 1

You should change the title to “Don’t buy any artwork onboard”.  Then start another one titled “Don’t buy any jewelry onboard”.  Then a third “Don’t buy any watches onboard”.  Then you can branch out and say “Don’t buy any [whatever] at [whatever port].  Somebody’s going to say you’re wrong, and somebody’s going to say they got some item they love, and bla bla bla.  People do what people do.  They’re careful and they’re careless, they’re smart and they’re stupid, they’re victims and they’re volunteers.  

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, kabloom said:

Of course the artist didn’t actually paint the piece.  Any piece by any recognized artist sold on a cruise ship is a print - a reproduction.  Some of the art scammers refer to the prints as “originals” if the artist simply signed the print (along with hundreds, if not thousands, of others) as it came off the presses.

Why do these “art dealers” do so well on cruise ships?  Perhaps because they know that cruise ships are full of gullible people - you know: the kind of people who pay an add-on to the basic fare because it gets them FREE DRINKS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Can anyone count up the times the cruise art dealers have been sued successfully?  Seems like a constant scam game, and it must be lucrative because they keep doing it despite the court losses.

With more than 20,000,000 people cruising every year  there is an almost endless stream of lambs to be shorn — even if 75% are intelligent enough to not get scammed, that leaves more than  five million per year to be parted from their money.

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

With more than 20,000,000 people cruising every year  there is an almost endless stream of lambs to be shorn — even if 75% are intelligent enough to not get scammed, that leaves more than  five million per year to be parted from their money.

Yeah, but when people see free champagne, they can't resist.  Cheap champagne even, but heh, some people like getting a cheap buzz.  I couldn't get drunk enough to purchase anything from an art auction on board a cruise ship.  I don't buy jewelry either and I despise getting all the ads in my mailbox for the art auction and Iffie (I spelled it wrong on purpose).

A few years ago "60 minutes" interviewed a couple of people who were suing the art dealers on a couple of ships.  They had bought "paintings" and then had them appraised when they got home.   Thew value was way lower than what they paid for them on the ships.

I wouldn't buy art work or jewelry on a ship.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:00 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Of course the artist didn’t actually paint the piece.  Any piece by any recognized artist sold on a cruise ship is a print - a reproduction.  Some of the art scammers refer to the prints as “originals” if the artist simply signed the print (along with hundreds, if not thousands, of others) as it came off the presses.

Why do these “art dealers” do so well on cruise ships?  Perhaps because they know that cruise ships are full of gullible people - you know: the kind of people who pay an add-on to the basic fare because it gets them FREE DRINKS.

Read the article. These are not prints, but arguably forgeries ("original" hand-painted works not executed by the artist other than his signature). Further, the allegation is that Peter Max has dementia and doesn't even know what year it is.

• Like 2

What caught my attention was that Park West brought in $30 million NET last year.  

Folks contributing to that revenue must now feel like the Dutch when they realized tulip bulbs really weren't worth much.  

Or, perhaps this controversy will make the artwork even more valuable.  Who knows.  

10 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Read the article. These are not prints, but arguably forgeries ("original" hand-painted works not executed by the artist other than his signature). Further, the allegation is that Peter Max has dementia and doesn't even know what year it is.

I was referring to all the “art” peddled on cruise ships - not just the Peter Max stuff.

Pretending that just a signature makes  crap anything more than crap - whether the crap is multilith copies of real creative work, real artists’ signatures on miscellaneous work, or just grade school scribbles by “as yet undiscovered artists” — the whole business of cruise ship art auctions is simply a lucrative exercise taking advantage of cruisers who did not have enough room in their luggage to pack their common sense.

I am relatively young, 38 and have been cruising since 2005.  Back then, there were art auctions with olives swimming in martini glasses.  I thought they were pretty cool and I could own one, but the extra $500ish was a lot of money to me back then.  Fast forward, $500 doesnt meant what it use to and I am glad I didnt over extend myself on those same pieces that I see on just about every cruise.  I mean, it might have been cool to have in my house for a while, but they arent a legitimate investment.  

That gold by the inch though!!!!!!! HAHA

• 5 months later...

Last cruise I acquired 2 Thomas Kincaid prints framed and sent to my house for 1090.00

If I had gone to the gallery in my town, framed it would have cost 2400.00. So are there deals to be had, sure but I am not an art conissuer and my 2 prints fit where I needed them and I dont need to buy art again.

As for jewelry on board, never, but St.Thomas for jewelry can't be beat. Several pieces have been purchased there and appraised for thousands more than we paid.

2 hours ago, TBJAL said:

Last cruise I acquired 2 Thomas Kincaid prints framed and sent to my house for 1090.00

If I had gone to the gallery in my town, framed it would have cost 2400.00. So are there deals to be had, sure but I am not an art conissuer and my 2 prints fit where I needed them and I dont need to buy art again.

As for jewelry on board, never, but St.Thomas for jewelry can't be beat. Several pieces have been purchased there and appraised for thousands more than we paid.

I assume they told you that he's dead.