Park West Galleries, Peter Max, and Fraud Allegations

15 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

STOP going to Park West event on board. Besides terrible, headache inducing champagne they are a rip off.

People have to make their own decisions.  Bingo is a much bigger scam but many still flock to the games.  Ultimately, it's an individual decision and folks here can suggest, but shouldn't be giving orders!

14 minutes ago, yogimax said:

People have to make their own decisions.  Bingo is a much bigger scam but many still flock to the games.  Ultimately, it's an individual decision and folks here can suggest, but shouldn't be giving orders!

Bingo is certainly long on the odds.  I probably won't ever pay to play on board,  but I wouldn't call it a scam.   

I agree that buying the art is an individual decision.  I am troubled that a person's decision may be influenced by questionable sales pitches.   

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

LOL. Sounds like most revenue centers on ships are a scam of differing degrees. People just have money to spend or donate.

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, gkbiiii said:

I met a retired NYC police Lady, who had a $80,000+ account with them, I guess she got/gets the Comped VIP Cruises with the art gallery. 

it doesn't matter how high a credit limit you have, rather how much you have purchased. Yes they do give away comped cruises (veranda state rooms) with certain milestone of spending.

10 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

The whole Park West art sales on the ship borders on farcical. I attended the auction as a novelty but bolted because the sales lady/auctioneer's voice and relentlessness was painful to listen to. 

then you did the right thing for you. I don't go to that ridiculous deal or no deal game. I like the art. I own two Peter Max paintings, which I bought nearly 20 years go on board, and they are now worth order of magnitude more than what I paid for them.  And.... I love a signed LE print from another artist, which I love just as much to look at.

No surprise to me, I've watched folks get bilked by bogus art for thousands since we started cruising 27 years ago.  I had a friend who bought one every time they cruised...I tried to warn her and even showed her online where she could've gotten one of them for a fraction of what she paid and most of what she bought are worthless now.  I have to grin as I walk by all those cheap prints to this day....the moral of the story, DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE. The argument remains the same even if it's 5 years old.

Edited by BecciBoo

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

then you did the right thing for you. I don't go to that ridiculous deal or no deal game. I like the art. I own two Peter Max paintings, which I bought nearly 20 years go on board, and they are now worth order of magnitude more than what I paid for them.  And.... I love a signed LE print from another artist, which I love just as much to look at.

Just how do you know for sure?  Have you had them appraised by a reputable art dealer?  I can look at lots of those things in a print catalogue for pennies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

That is great, a dear friend was an art collector, and did very well also. I learned a little from him. I was looking at some Dali art, and they tried to bluff me. I really had to cross-examine the lady to ascertain which series it was from. I can see people buying art and not knowing important facts that determine its value. 

As always, I want every Royal Caribbean cruiser to attend all Auction events while onboard the ships. Please spend plenty of money on the pieces that you like.  I'm sure your will enjoy them for years and your heirs will treasure them for generations.

Thank you in advance.

• Haha 5

The article about Peter Max is so sad. And what happened with Thomas Kincaid is awful. Park West does their thing. Many years ago, on Song of America, we saw a signed litho that we liked, "Rockwell paints Garfield" It was a numbered litho by Jim Davis. We are cat lovers.

We happened to run into the auctioneer at a bar onboard and asked him what the usual price was. He said $60. We went to the final auction, bid $60 and received it. Framing was more expensive than the art, but I still love it! It makes me smile, every time I look at it. 

I realize this is an old thread, we've never attended another auction. We were satisfied with our once and done experience. 

Edited by Coralc

I will have to take a photo of it when we get home. We are away, and we had the matting and framing done at home. It looks nice, and according to online valuation, is worth more than we paid for the litho.  

On 1/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, joeyancho said:

I told my wife that the next generation of ships should have a Mercedes dealership on the top deck.  She asked why. I told her that people will buy anything expensive on a cruise.  

They did have cars for sale on the QE2.

On 1/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, joeyancho said:

I told my wife that the next generation of ships should have a Mercedes dealership on the top deck.  She asked why. I told her that people will buy anything expensive on a cruise.  

Seeing the super high end watches on board, they are already doing that.  Hublot's for over $25k?  Funny how people complain about the art when they have those watches, too.