MSC Opera Crashes into Riverboat in Venice

emmas gran

I spoke w/MSC tonight on an unrelated issue.  The subject of the accident and MSC Opera came up.  I asked the rep how badly damaged it was.  He said, "It's not badly damaged at all.  Mostly it's apparently cosmetic.  They're ready to leave now, but the authorities haven't released the ship yet".

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I spoke w/MSC tonight on an unrelated issue.  The subject of the accident and MSC Opera came up.  I asked the rep how badly damaged it was.  He said, "It's not badly damaged at all.  Mostly it's apparently cosmetic.  They're ready to leave now, but the authorities haven't released the ship yet".

As of 11.45 UK time, Opera is still moored in Venice and not likely to leave today according to one of the passengers onboard.

8 hours ago, little britain said:

Very fair offer by MSC imho. Whilst you don’t get the cruise you do get a week in a floating hotel in Venice. 

And we would rejoice with that choice.  Lots to visit and revisit in Venice... EM

• Like 2

Although a good gesture for most it wont suit all.  I have just spent a week in Venice  and I will be returning for 3 nights next month to meet up with family who live near by before we all go on a cruise.  I would not want anymore time given that I have already done 10 days in the last month.  Also would be no use to the rest of our party as they live only 2 hrs away.  It's the Adriatic part we are all looking forward to I am sure there must also be many locals on this cruise who like us have already seen a lot of Venice. 

2 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Although a good gesture for most it wont suit all.  I have just spent a week in Venice  and I will be returning for 3 nights next month to meet up with family who live near by before we all go on a cruise.  I would not want anymore time given that I have already done 10 days in the last month.  Also would be no use to the rest of our party as they live only 2 hrs away.  It's the Adriatic part we are all looking forward to I am sure there must also be many locals on this cruise who like us have already seen a lot of Venice. 

Out of curiosity, what would be an acceptable gesture on the part of MSC recognizing that there are over 2,000 passengers who have had their plans disrupted?

5 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

I wonder what is being done for the River boat passengers whose cruises were canceled?

There's been no mention on the River Cruising board but that's not surprising given that the River Countess has no more than 130 passengers per cruise so at most 910 passengers are impacted and they probably don't read cruise critic.

Edited by capriccio

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Out of curiosity, what would be an acceptable gesture on the part of MSC recognizing that there are over 2,000 passengers who have had their plans disrupted?

I wasn't intending to have a go at MSC - I think that's the best offer they probably could come up with at short notice.  Just emphasizing it is still a shame for many many people who have had their plans ruined and although Venice is a good alternative for the majority, on this ship there will probably be many who actually live there or have been many times.  So feeling sorry for them that's all.

Edited by fragilek
sp

21 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I believe that other cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean, refund the cruise fare, pay up to 300/400 dollars for flight changes and also give future cruise credit for such scenarios (some cases equal to the amount of the cruise fare)

*Edit* Just saw that MSC are offering 50% off next cruise

Edited by darthvadrouw

39 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Although a good gesture for most it wont suit all.  I have just spent a week in Venice  and I will be returning for 3 nights next month to meet up with family who live near by before we all go on a cruise.  I would not want anymore time given that I have already done 10 days in the last month.  Also would be no use to the rest of our party as they live only 2 hrs away.  

It's the Adriatic part we are all looking forward to.

I am sure there must also be many locals on this cruise who like us have already seen a lot of Venice. 

and what do you want MSC to do about it since they're not allowed to leave port by order of local authorities till the investigation is complete? :classic_blink:

Edited by fstuff1

3 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

and what do you want MSC to do about it since they're not allowed to leave port by order of local authorities till the investigation is complete? :classic_blink:

you didn't read to the end of the thread before posting lol

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

you didn't read to the end of the thread before posting lol

Maybe I'm odd man out, but when I read a 6 page thread I don't read the entire 6 pages first and then go back and reread it so I can reply to posts.  Do you actually do this?

1 minute ago, mnocket said:

Maybe I'm odd man out, but when I read a 6 page thread I don't read the entire 6 pages first and then go back and reread it so I can reply to posts.  Do you actually do this?

I usually end up working backwards lol

6 minutes ago, sidari said:

Just heard that Opera is arrested / impounded until further notice.

Wow! Can’t wait to hear what the investigators found which led to this seemingly drastic action.

Jane

1 hour ago, JaneStarr said:

Wow! Can’t wait to hear what the investigators found which led to this seemingly drastic action.

Jane

1 hour ago, sidari said:

I would guess part of it could be down to Injuries to those on the River cruiser.

What sidari is referring to is that the ship is "detained" (prohibited from sailing).  This is quite common until the investigation is complete, as the ship is the "crime scene".  Also, until the relevant maritime authorities (Italy) are convinced that the cause of the incident has been rectified, they will not allow the ship to sail.  Detention is also used to ensure that the shipowner has sufficient funds to pay damages caused by the ship, and possibly to create an account to hold the contingency fees.

In the shipping world, each ship of a line like MSC is owned by a separate corporation, so the only physical asset of  the corporation is the ship itself, detaining/impounding the ship is the way to ensure there is money to pay for damages.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What sidari is referring to is that the ship is "detained" (prohibited from sailing).  This is quite common until the investigation is complete, as the ship is the "crime scene".  Also, until the relevant maritime authorities (Italy) are convinced that the cause of the incident has been rectified, they will not allow the ship to sail.  Detention is also used to ensure that the shipowner has sufficient funds to pay damages caused by the ship, and possibly to create an account to hold the contingency fees.

In the shipping world, each ship of a line like MSC is owned by a separate corporation, so the only physical asset of  the corporation is the ship itself, detaining/impounding the ship is the way to ensure there is money to pay for damages.

Thanks for explaining this. 

Jane