Hip replacement

welly world

1 minute ago, welly world said:

I recently had a hip replacement. Do I have to bring anything from the doctor since I will probably beep when going through security?

No I had mine done 3 years ago. Just tell them you have a hip/joint replacement at security before the metal detector and they will use the wand.

My Mom had one. Both her doctor and the hospital gave her a card. We would frequently offer it at airports and ships and they don't want to see the card. Just tell them. They are used to it.

3 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

I simply tell the airport guys that I need to use the scanner due to joint replacements. I always set it off! Then they wand me....

I rarely set it off on the ship but if I do it's the same process. 

Same here. At the airport I just point at the "tube"

At the ship, when I had one knee replacement, the scanner would frequently beep. Since I've had the 2nd knee done, I've never upset the scanner. I think they changed the setting since so many of us have metal replacement parts.😉

• Like 1

You will not have any trouble.  Many of us travel with replacement joints all the time.  I have never been denied access to anything.  From time to time I will set off an alarm and have to have a wand do a double check.  It is painless other than taking a few more minutes of time.  Screeners are used to it.  At the airport I always tell them in advance and they put me through the spinner rather than the walk through. I never say anything when boarding the ship unless I set something off. 

Most of the time if I set something off when boarding it is a quick wave of the wand and then a wave to move on.  No big deal.

Same here, hip done in 2011 still setting off alarms. I had asked my doctor after the surgery if I could have a card or a letter and he said " the terrorists can get fake letters, so no". I happily get the wand or the full body frisk just as long as I get on the plane or ship!

45 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

Same here, hip done in 2011 still setting off alarms. I had asked my doctor after the surgery if I could have a card or a letter and he said " the terrorists can get fake letters, so no". I happily get the wand or the full body frisk just as long as I get on the plane or ship!

The one thing I found fascinating about the card is that it had the make and model of the joint replacement - so if there was a recall, we could check as opposed to wait for someone to call.

My Mom's hip usually set off airport screeners but not ship. Go figure.

My sister's new hip has greatly complicated her journey through airport security.  It sets off the metal detector.  So she goes to the big scanner.  She has essential tremors, so she raises her arms over her head, but can't keep them still.  So then it's being wanded, powdered, patted down, etc.  Sort of makes TSA pre-check a waste of time.  EM

13 hours ago, welly world said:

I recently had a hip replacement. Do I have to bring anything from the doctor since I will probably beep when going through security?

I didn't beep at all, about 6 weeks Post op.  

in the unlikely event that you do, simply ask to be wanded due to a surgical implant.  

many fake joints are now ceramic  or other non metal component 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 7:11 PM, Alaskanb said:

I simply tell the airport guys that I need to use the scanner due to joint replacements. I always set it off! Then they wand me....

I rarely set it off on the ship but if I do it's the same process. 

I just returned from a 14 day cruise on Princess.  Exactly 2 years ago I had both hips replaced 3 weeks apart.  Since then I've routinely set off airport (I warn them in advance) and Princess scanners.  On this trip I went through the full body scanner at Dulles and my new hips didn't even set it off.  They patted me down because of my necklace.  For the first time ever on Princess, my hips didn't set off the walk through metal detectors ever.  On our last day of our vacation, they did set off the metal detectors at Windsor Castle and the security officer at Heathrow proudly told me my "artificial knees" didn't show up at all on the full body scanner.  Maybe because my knees are original equipment? 😄

On 6/18/2019 at 7:56 PM, Essiesmom said:

My sister's new hip has greatly complicated her journey through airport security.  It sets off the metal detector.  So she goes to the big scanner.  She has essential tremors, so she raises her arms over her head, but can't keep them still.  So then it's being wanded, powdered, patted down, etc.  Sort of makes TSA pre-check a waste of time.  EM

I was wondering about the full body scanners.  Sounds like metallic joints are an issue for the "walk through" scanners but not the full body scanners.   

I ring the bells at airports, the ship, government buildings, wherever there are scanners -- 2 knees, 1 hip,1 shoulder.  I'm usually "wanded" whether I go thru the body scanner or the walk-thru. 

On the ship, Security usually knows me by the 2nd port.  They smile & say "the knees lady" as they wand me.  I'd bet at least 25% - 30% of the passengers on a 14 day (or longer) cruise have replacement parts.