Craziest thing You've ever seen happen on a Cruiseship?

SailorMan20

23 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I lived in Minnesota for sixteen years and never wore a coat unless it was colder than 32 degrees outside.  When I moved to Arizona, I was shocked that folks put on coats when it was seventy degrees; after fourteen years here in Arizona, I only own a windbreak and and have very rarely worn it.

When my Mother wintered in Arizona, she would tell me about the field workers wearing wool hats and parkas picking when it was 85º-90º out.

3 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

I saw a drunk girl take down her bikini bottoms while sitting on a chaise on the lido deck, urinate, and then pull her bottoms back up.  Then she fell asleep.  Security came as I was leaving.

Now that is just nasty!

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:43 PM, Herfnerd said:

Did not see but....erm.....heard.   Waiting for the elevator and  it was quite obvious what the couple was doing inside a cabin next to it - lets just say the color commentary gave no doubt!

Well they were on holidays, why not make the beast with two backs, and if they are normally vocal why would it change, or were they playing wit( people’s heads?

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Well they were on holidays, why not make the beast with two backs, and if they are normally vocal why would it change, or were they playing wit( people’s heads?

Lets just say that the "colorful commentary" I spoke of was extremely graphic.  

On 8/9/2019 at 10:31 PM, brillohead said:

Or maybe she was from Michigan (or similar climate).  

I know my cousin who was born and raised in Florida would complain about it being "frigid cold" when we hadn't even put on a light jacket yet!  

My Mother was from Hawaii.  I remember one trip, watching a young lady in a parka, with fur lined hood up.  And we had just come out of the ocean. 😄

4 hours ago, SRF said:

My Mother was from Hawaii.  I remember one trip, watching a young lady in a parka, with fur lined hood up.  And we had just come out of the ocean. 😄

But boy, you oughta see me sweat in heat/humidity!

• Like 1

I would put this in Odd Category.

On our first cruise, some years ago on the first day. we ran into an older lady, to proceeded to tell us all about herself..

and that she didn't really want to go on a cruise...

but her husband did.... So he could jump overboard,,,as he wasn't well.

We didn't see her again ... and didn't hear of anybody going over board....

Afterwards we just looked at each other  in disbelieve.

Cheers Don

On our last cruise we had 2 WWII vets and a Gold Star Family onboard. On the last sea day the ship (RC Grandeur) had a big celebration, with cake, music, etc honoring not only the vets but Police, Fire, 1st Responders etc. Truly heartwarming!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on an NCL ship, docked in St Maarten, sharing the pier with a Celebrity ship that was docked right across from us. We’re getting off the ship and see a group of people staring at the water on the Celebrity side of the pier. They’re all staring and we just kind of figured some drunk dude fell in. So we start walking, and all of a sudden there’s a ton of yelling and we look back and see a group of men dragging a very limp man in a westsuit out of the water. I saw one of them start very bad CPR. I’m a physician, and at that time was working in the peds ER, and I’ve been in my fair share of codes, though few on 200 pound adults. 

I ran back down the pier and it was clear the bystander had no clue how to do CPR, so I sort of pushed him aside and started compressions. He started vomiting out water, and I was yelling at security to get an ICD (remember there’s 2 cruise ships with infirmaries docked). Eventually 2 other passengers came to help as well, one was a cardiac ICU nurse and the other was a paramedic. And eventually someone brought out a defibrillator and an emergency response kit. We placed an IV, pushed epi a couple times, kept up with compressions. By the time the medics arrived, we had a pulse back. Not sure what ended up happening afterwards though. Turned out he was a crew member on the Celebrity ship, and they had to do some maintenance on the propellers or something under the ship, so he was diving and must have hit his head and knocked himself out. Don’t think I can see much more that would top that experience. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, cnpsnana said:

On our last cruise we had 2 WWII vets and a Gold Star Family onboard. On the last sea day the ship (RC Grandeur) had a big celebration, with cake, music, etc honoring not only the vets but Police, Fire, 1st Responders etc. Truly heartwarming!!!

Was that the 12 night cruise in April?

Grandeur does the public celebration for vets and others near the end of the cruise.

The two WWII vets were a HOOT.  Very nice people.

And, as a vet, I REALLY appreciate the celebration.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 3:09 PM, NLH Arizona said:

I lived in Minnesota for sixteen years and never wore a coat unless it was colder than 32 degrees outside.  When I moved to Arizona, I was shocked that folks put on coats when it was seventy degrees; after fourteen years here in Arizona, I only own a windbreak and and have very rarely worn it.

It is all a matter of what you are used to. I'm from Texas, and get a laugh when people from northern states complaining at how hot 90 degrees is. We love it when we only hit 90 (rarely) in the summer. But then here we get a dusting of snow in the winter and all of the schools close and traffic comes to a halt.

Back to the topic -- crazy but also sad:  In January 2004 on the Rhapsody of the Seas, our scheduled ports were Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. A couple on the ship planned to get married in Grand Cayman, with most of the wedding guests flying there to meet them. Big mistake. Weather caused rough seas, and we could not tender in Cayman. The couple was in tears. I heard they scrambled to find a place in Cozumel for the wedding, and at least some of the guests flew there to meet them. As for our ship, we got to Cozumel early and actually stayed overnight, which was fun -- we rarely get to see nightlife at any ports-of-call.

Edited by Jimnbigd

16 hours ago, cnpsnana said:

No, we were on the NE/Canada from Baltimore on July 25th. I was very happy to see the Vets and others service people get the recognition they deserve!!

Wow, and two WWII vets.  I wonder if it was the same two.  Ours was a couple.  He got out as a Staff Sargent, she had been a Major.

But not many of them left.  My Dad was in during WWII (just barely) and is coming up on 93.

14 hours ago, Jimnbigd said:

It is all a matter of what you are used to. I'm from Texas, and get a laugh when people from northern states complaining at how hot 90 degrees is. We love it when we only hit 90 (rarely) in the summer. But then here we get a dusting of snow in the winter and all of the schools close and traffic comes to a halt.

Only 90?  Cool.

I was recently in Djibouti.  49C.

That is 120.2F for most Americans. 😄

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Only 90?  Cool.

I was recently in Djibouti.  49C.

That is 120.2F for most Americans. 😄

Yes,but....That's 'DRY' hear !!!!🙄 (Don't ya just HATE it when idiots say that !!)

But I know what you mean. It reminds me of our (my wife and I) Alaska cruise June of 2010. We live 20 miles south of Atlanta and the day we flew to Seattle in Atlanta it was 98 degrees and combined with hudmity made it a sticky 103 degrees. The hotel shuttle driver picked us up athe airport in Seattle and enroute to the hotel, in a running conversation over the P.A. apologized for the 'unconfortable' warm day (It was 78 degrees with little or no humidity) I was sitting behind him and couldn't help myself, I laughted out loud and said,' NO worried my friend, we just flew from Atlanta whre it was 98 degrees WITH almost seventy per cent huminity for a balmy 103 degree !!' The drive was silent for about a thirty seconds , digesting this. the said of the P.A. 'NO way could I EVER live in those conditions !' The entire bus laughted and I told him it depends on if you've lived your entire life in that enviroment, After 50-60 years it seems normal.

Mac

34 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

Yes,but....That's 'DRY' hear !!!!🙄 (Don't ya just HATE it when idiots say that !!)

Why do you call them idiots?  90 degrees with 10% humidity is so much more comfortable than 90 degrees with 80% humidity.  So saying it's a dry heat isn't idiotic, IMHO.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Why do you call them idiots?  90 degrees with 10% humidity is so much more comfortable than 90 degrees with 80% humidity.  So saying it's a dry heat isn't idiotic, IMHO.

Sorry, Julie😞After rethinking my 'term' it was very inconsiderate of me to use that term, I spent a week in July in Tuson,  AZ and know it was far more conforable than a week in Atlanta in July. If my wife and my job hadnt been there (Atlanta) I certainly would have considered moving. Truce ??

Mac

33 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

Sorry, Julie😞After rethinking my 'term' it was very inconsiderate of me to use that term, I spent a week in July in Tuson,  AZ and know it was far more conforable than a week in Atlanta in July. If my wife and my job hadnt been there (Atlanta) I certainly would have considered moving. Truce ??

Mac

Thanks, Mac.  It's refreshing to see a response like yours!  So civilized.  Absolutely a truce! 🙂

On 8/16/2019 at 9:24 AM, SmoothFlying said:

But I know what you mean.

Mac

You need to check your map.  Djibouti is a seaport city.  So 49C and HUMID. 

But not sure if that is worse than the trip I was in India at around 35C and flew to Astana (no longer called that) and got off the plane (same day) at -30C.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:01 AM, julie3fan said:

Because most times the idiots are comparing 100+ "dry heat" to much lower, but more humid temps.  And trying to imply that it is perfectly comfortable.  Yes, it is more comfortable, but 110+ is HOT no matter how dry it is.

Yes, I know the difference.  I spent a summer in Del Rio, TX. Where I had to wear a Nomex (does NOT breath) coveralls all day, almost every day.

1. off the coast of Columbia - 10pm, a couple miles off-shore,  packages of drugs come flying down from 3-4 decks above us - watched them fly into the water, a dozen or so. 

2. south of Iceland, 9 am, super foggy, a helicopter almost (I'm talking feet) almost runs into the crows nest, vears off to starboard