Craziest thing You've ever seen happen on a Cruiseship?

SailorMan20

I was on a buffet line getting salad and the woman in front of me picked up the dressing container (it wasn't labeled), put her nose in the opening and sniffed the dressing.  It was white dressing, so it could have been either ranch or bleu chesse.  I just went around her and grabbed one she hadn't put her nose in, then told the staff.  

30 minutes ago, nofocruiser said:

I was on a buffet line getting salad and the woman in front of me picked up the dressing container (it wasn't labeled), put her nose in the opening and sniffed the dressing.  It was white dressing, so it could have been either ranch or bleu chesse.  I just went around her and grabbed one she hadn't put her nose in, then told the staff.  

Did she actually stick her nose INTO the opening or did she sniff around the opening.  From the hygenic transfer viewpoint, there is a difference.

DON

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I might be wrong but I think tipping is not common in French culture🤔. There were hardly any Americans on this sailing and certainly none attended the Sunday Mass but all the English speakers certainly were talking about "the incident" at lunch😂. It was the one time I wished my French was more fluent I 'd love to know what the French thought of the behavior of their compatriots.

Perhaps their reputation or trip advisor score then.

I was at the dessert portion of the buffet.  Woman in front of me cut and served a piece of messy cake.  They wiped the cake knife with her finger.

I told the crew standing nearby, and they just put the cake knife into the water bath.  There were some officers nearby, I told them, and before I could fully finish, they were off at a dead run. 😄

20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Did she actually stick her nose INTO the opening or did she sniff around the opening.  From the hygenic transfer viewpoint, there is a difference.

DON

She stuck her nose into the opening.  

I made friends with a group on a bachelor party cruise. One of them hit it off with a girl he'd met at the pool earlier in the day. The boys then planned an "engagement". They invited her and her pal to join them at dinner. Then the friends bought a ring (like a gawdy $70 over the top thing), got the wait staff involved and at dinner he "proposed". It was a hoot. The words he used made it obvious that it was a gag/joke. Later in the piano bar the performer (Laura, she was amazing and we had a lot of fun with her) announced the engagement. Someone in the crowd offered to perform the ceremony. It was super funny and a bit crazy. They even had their first dance!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 7:09 PM, lenquixote66 said:

In 2010 a woman who was probably in her 80’s was punched in the face by a guy behind her because she was not moving fast enough for him.

I hope he was removed from the ship at the next port!

We were on our balcony watching pier runners when all of a sudden, we saw a VERY drunk man in a pedicab trying to get to the ship. They had pulled almost all of the gangways, leaving only one. He climbed out of the pedicab and almost did a face plant on the pier. He stood up, stumbled a little and headed straight for the water...but someone near him grabbed him in time so he didn't fall in...then he started trying to walk to the ship and kept walking past the gangway...by this time, the officers had enough and grabbed him and pulled him onto the ship.

The second was on an excursion...and it is one my family likes to make fun of me for. We were in Ocho Rios and climbing Dunns River Falls....We all had to form a human chain to climb. There was an large older Italian man in his gold chains and speedo then me, my husband, then an elderly Asian woman and her family. We had to stop every few minutes because the woman kept having a hard time climbing and letting go, so the tour guide would stop so she could catch up. During one of the stops, the man holding my hand would not let go...and decided to pick his wedgie....I kept trying to pull my hand away, but he kept saying no we have to stay holding hands...As soon as I could...I was doing everything I could to wash my hands off in the water...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On our port stop in Aruba in 2018, we decided to do a ship-sponsored catamaran  sunset cruise.  Upon arrival at the point we were to board the catamaran, one of our cruise-mates was vehemently arguing with a representative of the catamaran.  He was challenging them on the number of passengers, and demanding to see the manifest.  By now, boarding had commenced, and he was not letting up.  He was arguing that far too many people were being allowed on board, compromising the safety of the catamaran. 

Shortly thereafter, he was seen storming off the boat (with his embarrassed wife) announcing he will not be on this sail.  I swear the entire boatload of passengers stood up and applauded his exit.  The captain apologized for the inconvenience, and added that we were still about 50 passengers under capacity.  The catamaran was a "newer" one, very clean.  Had an awesome cruise, and there was plenty of room for all! 

I can't match a lot of these, since the strangest thing I think we ever saw was four people who wore their life vests all around the ship. All week. Don't know if they slept in them or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Our Alaska cruise was heading into glacier bay.  The wind coming across the bow was probably 30-35 knots, wind plus speed of ship.  This put the chill factor down to deep Brrrrr.  I was dressed in layers and still was feeling the cold.

Was up on the pool deck trying to hide behind a glass wall to break the wind while taking photos.  Then I saw a young woman come slowing walking across the deck wearing a ship issued bathrobe and thong type slippers.  She then went up the steps to the next deck with the wind whipping the bathrobe around exposing her to more cold.   The cold did  not seem to bother her and she did not look blue or like she was shivering in the cold.

My thought was she must be flying with some type of chemical co-pilot. I know I felt colder just watching her. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4x4bob said:

My thought was she must be flying with some type of chemical co-pilot. I know I felt colder just watching her. 

Or maybe she was from Michigan (or similar climate).  

I know my cousin who was born and raised in Florida would complain about it being "frigid cold" when we hadn't even put on a light jacket yet!  

The craziest thing I ever saw on a cruise was... Suitcase Girl!

About five years ago, three generations of my family booked the Oasis for Christmas. As we had paid dearly for our flights from Canada to Fort Lauderdale, we wanted to maximize our time while we were there, so booked a Carnival cruise for New Year’s as a cheaper add on to the Oasis. Our first and last Carnival cruise for a number of reasons...

Please note that I am in no way making judgements about Carnival; this is just one person‘s one time experience on a Carnival cruise. Having only ever sailed on the newer Princess builds (at that time) and then on the Oasis, have to confess that Carnival was a bit of a culture shock. During the sailaway party, which was a fun and, at times, raucous affair, we noticed a young lady who seemed around 20, in a romper composed of extremely short shorts, Lady Gaga type monster heels, lots of make up and big hair, looking a bit like she was ready for one of the ships nightclubs rather than an afternoon sailaway deck party She definitely had a good time dancing and we all enjoyed the lively show she was putting on. And I do mean that sincerely; she was having a great time, not at all inhibited. Over the next couple of days, we saw her around the ship a lot, usually with a trail of teenage boys around her and soon found out from our own son and daughter that she was, in fact, only 15! 

All 10 of us made the best of our time, even though the Freedom was definitely a let down from our previous cruising experience. We saw the ship as a vessel to all of our wonderful island destinations, rather than as the destination itself. That attitude meant we still had a good time, even though there were areas that were sorely lacking. Every night after dinner, around 11 PM, we would all gather by the outdoor pizza place for some family time before retiring to bed. It was always a nice quiet time. On one of our last nights, we were all once again gathered, and noticed a few teenage boys wheeling a large suitcase into the area. They were laughing and having a good time and we looked upon them bemusedly, especially when a couple of security guards, unbeknownst to the boys, started to hover.

A couple of minutes later, one of the boys unzipped the suitcase very nonchalantly and there pops out the 15-going on 20 yo girl. The security guards chased them all out and one of the boys had the wherewithal to grab the suitcase or I’m sure he would’ve been in huge trouble with his parents. I swear, we laughed out loud for probably a good 15 minutes after they left. To this day, years later, when we are together, one of us just has to say Suitcase Girl and we all start laughing uncontrollably. That sight of her popping out of the suitcase, like it was an every day thing, kind of summed up the entire cruise for us. Little does she know that her antics made the cruise for us! And made every penny that we had spent on a pretty lacklustre cruise worth it. Here’s a toast to you, Suitcase Girl - you saved that cruise for us by giving us a memory we will never forget! May you continue enjoying life to the fullest 🥂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We were recently reminded of an experience on the Queen Mary 2.  A lady and her husband had snagged loungers in the first row (next to the pool) at the indoor pool area during a crossing.  The lady then proceeded to give her husband a pedicure with nail clippings flying all over the immediate area (with some landing on another passenger).   We were later told that this couple resided in one of the large suites.

Hank

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Years ago our family was at a Disney resort in Florida and it was 40º. We still hit the huge outdoor pool and people would just walk by and shake their heads. Your blood gets thicker in the northern climates.

I lived in Minnesota for sixteen years and never wore a coat unless it was colder than 32 degrees outside.  When I moved to Arizona, I was shocked that folks put on coats when it was seventy degrees; after fourteen years here in Arizona, I only own a windbreak and and have very rarely worn it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We were recently reminded of an experience on the Queen Mary 2.  A lady and her husband had snagged loungers in the first row (next to the pool) at the indoor pool area during a crossing.  The lady then proceeded to give her husband a pedicure with nail clippings flying all over the immediate area (with some landing on another passenger).   We were later told that this couple resided in one of the large suites.

Hank

🤢🤢🤮

First day of a cruise a few (<5) years ago.  We were in an area where 2 rows of deck loungers were facing each other.  My wife and I found loungers and sat down.  After getting situated I looked across from me at a guy in the skimpy and tight type of swimsuit common in Europe.  It appeared he was sleeping and one of his "boys" had popped out to have a look around... :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 8