Is Aqua class worth it?

zitsky

I like that there is a dedicated restaurant (Blu).  Not sure how much is too much but I am seeing a quote of $2600 for a mid ship Aqua class stateroom on a 7 night Caribbean Cruise on the Equinox (two passengers) in mid December.  Once I discuss with my partner, I'll have my TA price this out.  Maybe it will be lower.  Who knows.

I am searching the forum and reading as much as I can.  Also looking over at the Royal Caribbean forum but I prefer the Equinox.

I think most folks seem to agree that if the difference between a regular veranda cabin and an Aqua veranda is only a bit higher then Aqua is worth the difference for the Blu restaurant.  Personally, I would go up as much as $150 per person from the lower class cabin on a 7 night cruise, but no more.

1 minute ago, 39august said:

I think most folks seem to agree that if the difference between a regular veranda cabin and an Aqua veranda is only a bit higher then Aqua is worth the difference for the Blu restaurant.  Personally, I would go up as much as $150 per person from the lower class cabin on a 7 night cruise, but no more.

What else do you get besides that?

DH and I thoroughly enjoy having Blu for our meals and also enjoy the use of the Persian Gardens. That being said, if the difference between Aqua and a regular verandah is more than $150-$200 pp for a 10-14 day cruise, I'd opt for the verandah. The other caveat being, if you're chasing a higher Captains Club level and the extra 2 points per night tip you onto the next level it may be worth a little extra, but not much. Otherwise, I'd be exercise patience and just wait an extra cruise or two to get there.

You also get a bottle of bubbly, various canapes each afternoon, I think a rain umbrella, a special shower head, and a footstool on your balcony if you are not on Edge or are on a non-revolutionized ship.

• Thanks 1

See celebrity website - https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/aqua-class-stateroom

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1910  - This is a cruise critic article comparing Aqua to Concierge Class

We've never sailed Aqua, however when in a Sky Suite we were given access to Blu.  From our point of view, we were not impressed with the dining experience.  The only exception ... breakfast was excellent.  

We have noticed pricing of Aqua compared to Concierge and Balcony to be a substantial increase.  We enjoy dining in specialty and believe we can purchase the dinner packages, providing variety in dining for far less than the cost difference between cabin types.  

We also like aft ship location and the Aqua locations are forward closer to the SPA.  

We have met many people who love Aqua class for Blu, and happily book this class every cruise.  

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

FYI.  We are going in Jan on a 7-day and paying about the same as your quote for AQ with 4 perks for two (booked over a year ago).  AQ on same sailing is currently going for a little over $6,700 with 4 perks.  

We love AQ for BLU and PG (S Class); have been sailing AQ for years.  

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I like that there is a dedicated restaurant (Blu).  Not sure how much is too much but I am seeing a quote of $2600 for a mid ship Aqua class stateroom on a 7 night Caribbean Cruise on the Equinox (two passengers) in mid December.  Once I discuss with my partner, I'll have my TA price this out.  Maybe it will be lower.  Who knows.

I am searching the forum and reading as much as I can.  Also looking over at the Royal Caribbean forum but I prefer the Equinox.

At $1300 per person, I believe that is a good price for Aqua.  I would take it but make sure you are not under the gym or the Aqua Spa Cafe.  Could get noisy.  

Main perks are the dedicated restaurant and free access to the Persian Garden.  

16 minutes ago, 39august said:

You also get a bottle of bubbly, various canapes each afternoon, I think a rain umbrella, a special shower head, and a footstool on your balcony if you are not on Edge or are on a non-revolutionized ship.

I can't tell if you are serious.  I don't think you are.  I have never heard of this.  Only perks are Blu and spa.

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I can't tell if you are serious.  I don't think you are.  I have never heard of this.  Only perks are Blu and spa.

Mall those perks are legit plus more. You need to check the web site.

• Like 4

We book Aqua primarily for Blu.  We like the more intimate atmosphere and better service than the MDR in most cases.  We also really enjoy the breakfast.  The spa doesn't interest us that much but some love it (especially on S class).  The footstools are also a plus, but as they revolutionize they are doing away with them.😥

• Like 3

Just now, phoenix_dream said:

We book Aqua primarily for Blu.  We like the more intimate atmosphere and better service than the MDR in most cases.  We also really enjoy the breakfast.  The spa doesn't interest us that much but some love it (especially on S class).  The footstools are also a plus, but as they revolutionize they are doing away with them.😥

After several aqua trips it really does boil down to blu and the thermal suites.  If you use them both ALOT it is worth it.  We are going to do Concierge in a few months and add in a few specialties.  It is a short 7 day cruise and we do not want to get dining room ready every night.

Up until this past year, our last eight Solstice class cruises were in AQ because we loved eating in Blu. On our last AQ cruise in 2018 on the Silhouette, I noticed a decline in both the quality of the proteins and as well as a size of the portions. As a result,  I sent my entrée back 3 of the 7 nights strictly because of the quality of the meats.  Our next three sailings are all booked in Concierge class and will use the savings in the Specialty restaurants. 

We like the Persian Garden, and have purchased length of cruise passes for both of us when we aren't in Aqua, as a result, if we aren't in Aqua I monitor pricing compulsively.   We have been lucky twice - our first time in Aqua, after final payment, the price dropped enough to upgrade from a 2C to Aqua for a small cost (which I can't remember).   

We will be in Aqua for an upcoming 14 night cruise next month.  We had booked Concierge because I want the extra points, but for the longest time the price for both of us to move to Aqua was $1300-1400 more, much more than the cost  of two Persian Garden passes.   I checked daily, maybe twice a day for price drops, and was about to give up but at 60 days out there were still a considerable number of cabins left, especially in Aqua, and the price dropped, way below my wildest dreams.   We ended up upgrading to Aqua, going from 2 perks to 4 perks without an additional cost.  And I shared this information with the roll call, so Aqua filled up quite quickly.

I like Blu, earlier this year we were in the MDR and I missed the ambiance and food in Blu.

So, yes, Aqua is definitely worth it, but for the right price.   We love to come back to our cabin and laugh over the canapes, and guess what food group they belong to.   I read that the canapes have improved, but we were in Concierge in January and were still trying to guess what the stuff we were eating really was.  And when we aren't in Aqua we miss the upgraded shower.

Everyone makes fun of the lame "champagne", but last year we saved our bottle, and brought it home in our checked luggage, another way of extending our cruise memories, and it lasted a bit longer than the chocolates we sometimes bring home.

• Like 2

Another thing I like about AQ is the balconies that have the large overhang.  I’ve had one Mohs surgery and I need shade.  These balconies give me shade 24/7.  I can use my balcony in the Caribbean year round with these balconies.  ( I realize others feel differently! 🌞)  Another thing I like is that as the cabins are only double occupancy, I am less likely to be next to an unhappy child...

But I agree, I wouldn’t pay much extra for an AQ cabin....

On a S Class ship our break point is about $30/day pp for AQ   That also depends on the perks involved.   Anything more and we can get a dining packaged.   

Breakfast in the MDR is just as good if not better.  Same coffee, juices and pastries.  

The Persian Gardens is nice but we only use it 3 times max during a cruise.

a lot of the other so called perks are fluff, have been eliminated or cheapened.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

We are on the Summit now and booked in Aqua.  Twenty six Celebrity cruises 3 in Veranda cabins, 5 in Suites and 18 in AQ.  We have determined moving forward AQ isn’t worth the Premium.  The footstools are gone, the jetted shower is gone post Revolution as is the no fog mirror.  The nice tote bag has gone the way of bottled water and has been discontinued.  

The addition of more AQ cabin without more space or staff in Blu is causing waits and slower service.  In our opinion the food is declining.  Some things, like the short ribs  are great but the quality of many  other items has declined.  We are just returned from dinner on night 7 of 10 and about 1/2  the time one of us has ordered all or part of our meal from the MDR menu.  I have had 2 entrees that were so tough that I couldn’t cut them (couple at the next table returned their meals also).  

So future bookings will in all likelihood be in a Veranda or Suite.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2019 at 5:19 PM, zitsky said:

QI like that there is a dedicated restaurant (Blu).  Not sure how much is too much but I am seeing a quote of $2600 for a mid ship Aqua class stateroom on a 7 night Caribbean Cruise on the Equinox (two passengers) in mid December.  Once I discuss with my partner, I'll have my TA price this out.  Maybe it will be lower.  Who knows.

IMO not worth the extra charge for AQ  .  First the cabins all are under the gym spa and pool area and can be noisy.  The size of the cabin is the same as a balcony.  You get a "perks" a smelly atomizer, a different shower head- which I hate as I find in wets my hair and of course I must use a shower cap, and snacks and tea which aren't worth anything.   Blu, IMO isn't great- it is however a private restaurant, but the tables are on top of each other with eh food isn't worth it.  I would suggest, consider a well located cabin, with cabins above and below and dine a few times in speciality restaurants.  If you find you like the persian garden, use it a couple of sea days- financially you will be ahead.  This is just my opinion based on a few cruises in AQ.  Most others in regular balcony or suites.  PS- we really enjoy the equinox and will be on her again in a few weeks.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

IMO not worth the extra charge for AQ  .  First the cabins all are under the gym spa and pool area and can be noisy.  The size of the cabin is the same as a balcony.  You get a "perks" a smelly atomizer, a different shower head- which I hate as I find in wets my hair and of course I must use a shower cap, and snacks and tea which aren't worth anything.   Blu, IMO isn't great- it is however a private restaurant, but the tables are on top of each other with eh food isn't worth it.  I would suggest, consider a well located cabin, with cabins above and below and dine a few times in speciality restaurants.  If you find you like the persian garden, use it a couple of sea days- financially you will be ahead.  This is just my opinion based on a few cruises in AQ.  Most others in regular balcony or suites.  PS- we really enjoy the equinox and will be on her again in a few weeks.

Enjoy your cruise

The cabins are not all under the gym, spa and pool area.  Please take a look at the deck plan.  There are Aqua rooms which have rooms on Deck 12 above them.   The tables are not "on top" of each other.  You can find tables for 2 that are relatively private.   We enjoy cruising in Aqua and dining in Blu.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Enjoy your cruise

I just booked a cabin in AQ which has cabins above/below.  Granted, there aren't many, but they do exist.