Meeting people from CC in person

lenquixote66

Have you ever gotten friendly with a person on CC and met that person off line ?

I began posting in 2008 and became really friendly with a guy who posted on many of the same threads as me.He lived close to Boston and I am close to NYC. We spoke about meeting offline with our wives. When I told this to my wife she said “Are you crazy ? I am not going to drive almost to Boston to have lunch with someone I do not know “.Two months later we took the trip but it was decided to meet at a half way point. We arrived at the restaurant at noon and spent 5 hours in non stop conversation. Today we are very good friends.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Have you ever gotten friendly with a person on CC and met that person off line ?

I began posting in 2008 and became really friendly with a guy who posted on many of the same threads as me.He lived close to Boston and I am close to NYC. We spoke about meeting offline with our wives. When I told this to my wife she said “Are you crazy ? I am not going to drive almost to Boston to have lunch with someone I do not know “.Two months later we took the trip but it was decided to meet at a half way point. We arrived at the restaurant at noon and spent 5 hours in non stop conversation. Today we are very good friends.

As I posted in another thread, we did meet a couple who lived one town away from my Mother-In-Law,

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We met a couple on our Roll Call....had a fantastic time on the ship...but the distance between our towns (and hubby's health issues) precluded any further meetings.

Listen, there are great people everywhere.  If you don't talk to folks, you'll never know.

Hi 

Yes. That's what the roll calls are about. Also most cruise lines will have an organized meet and greet.

I do understand that many people don't like the thought of having to interact with "strangers". It certainly comes out when threads about dinner seating are brought up. 

For the rest of us, you can meet people of interest on a cruise ship, and some of them are cruise critic members.

It's up to you if you are interested.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We started a 'Cruisers meet up' where I live. We meet every month on the second Saturday at 3pm at the Yacht club. There are now about 100 members but most meetings has a core group of around 15-20. Most of us go whenever we are not cruising and around another 30 or so come a little less regularly.

I have been online since before the internet.  I was online with Compuserve in the mid-80s.

I used to love to confuse people telling them I was meeting a friend who I had never met before. 😄

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Any you wish you hadn't?😋

Interesting enough -- the answer would be 'no'. I must be able to get a pretty good sense of whether I would like someone (in person) from chatting with them on roll-call threads. I will admit to purposely avoiding a few folks onboard, however!

Twice we have been on active roll calls where a group of members (about 10 people each time) who lived near each other decided to meet for lunch a couple of weeks before the cruise.     Both times, lunch was OK, but it seemed awkward - no one seemed to really become fast friends.    We saw the same people at the 'meet & greet' once onboard and greeted each other like old friends.    Beyond that, nothing progressed further - in fact we never saw most of them again on the ship.   

On the other hand, we have been more likely to become friends with people we met onboard, either in a lounge before dinner or sitting at adjacent tables for 2 in the dining room.    Several of those friendships have been long term.       

3 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Interesting enough -- the answer would be 'no'. I must be able to get a pretty good sense of whether I would like someone (in person) from chatting with them on roll-call threads. I will admit to purposely avoiding a few folks onboard, however!

Gut and I are both online friends but have met numerous times along with some others, it was more of a dig to GUT but I do agree, there are some people on line that you hope not to meet.

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

Twice we have been on active roll calls where a group of members (about 10 people each time) who lived near each other decided to meet for lunch a couple of weeks before the cruise.     Both times, lunch was OK, but it seemed awkward - no one seemed to really become fast friends.    We saw the same people at the 'meet & greet' once onboard and greeted each other like old friends.    Beyond that, nothing progressed further - in fact we never saw most of them again on the ship.   

On the other hand, we have been more likely to become friends with people we met onboard, either in a lounge before dinner or sitting at adjacent tables for 2 in the dining room.    Several of those friendships have been long term.       

That has happened as well, meeting some people on board in a lounge is more likely to be longer lasting friendship as it is a more natural coming together of like minded people and of course the chemistry or dynamic must be there to start of with.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Gut and I are both online friends but have met numerous times along with some others, it was more of a dig to GUT but I do agree, there are some people on line that you hope not to meet.

Funnily enough not even any of those, I guess I’m a big enough boy to accept that people aren’t always like they seem online.

there are a few that I’ve met on CC that I now consider to be friends, you among them along with that bloke that always tries to stop me boarding as well as our fencing friend and then some I’ve never even met but would consider to be friends too.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Funnily enough not even any of those, I guess I’m a big enough boy to accept that people aren’t always like they seem online.

there are a few that I’ve met on CC that I now consider to be friends, you among them along with that bloke that always tries to stop me boarding as well as our fencing friend and then some I’ve never even met but would consider to be friends too.

That boarding inhibitor was who I was mainly referring to as a friend that likes to have a dig.

9 hours ago, SRF said:

I have been online since before the internet.  I was online with Compuserve in the mid-80s.

I used to love to confuse people telling them I was meeting a friend who I had never met before. 😄

I’ve got one of those in America, met on a similar board (not cruise related) then one day he sent me a photo, holy ..... we could pass as brothers (poor bloke) doubt we will ever meet, he doesn’t fly, nor does Mrs Gut, he also lives a fair way inland so not near any of the cruise ports.

I've actually met a few folks in person that I started off chatting with here on CC.  These are all folks I chatted with in the Floataway Lounge, not on a roll call.

My DH and I met 2 ladies (and their DH's) that I had befriended here on CC and had then become Facebook friends with.  (We also play Words With Friends together.)  The 2 couples were taking a road trip together and we joined them for a few days.  We all felt like we were just catching up, rather than meeting "new" friends.

Another fellow I chatted with regularly here ended up booking a cruise specifically because it was one I had booked.  We linked our reservations so we'd be at the same table for dinner every night.

And lastly, one lady I was chatting with lives in Victoria, which was one of our port stops.  I had asked her specifically where I could buy ketchup potato chips, and as the conversation progressed, it went from her recommendation where to buy them, to her offering to pick some up and deliver them to me at the ship, to her and her DH picking us up and touring us around for the whole day, ending up at a grocery store to buy the ketchup chips.

I enjoyed all of those meetings, and I know I'll be meeting the ladies all again.  Unfortunately the one fellow died, so I'm just happy we spent the 12 day cruise together.

Almost forgot, my DH's cousin lives in Honolulu and one lady I chat with met her, based on me introducing them online.  I have yet to meet that lady, but I know it'll happen one day.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, julie3fan said:

I've actually met a few folks in person that I started off chatting with here on CC.  These are all folks I chatted with in the Floataway Lounge, not on a roll call.

My DH and I met 2 ladies (and their DH's) that I had befriended here on CC and had then become Facebook friends with.  (We also play Words With Friends together.)  The 2 couples were taking a road trip together and we joined them for a few days.  We all felt like we were just catching up, rather than meeting "new" friends.

Another fellow I chatted with regularly here ended up booking a cruise specifically because it was one I had booked.  We linked our reservations so we'd be at the same table for dinner every night.

And lastly, one lady I was chatting with lives in Victoria, which was one of our port stops.  I had asked her specifically where I could buy ketchup potato chips, and as the conversation progressed, it went from her recommendation where to buy them, to her offering to pick some up and deliver them to me at the ship, to her and her DH picking us up and touring us around for the whole day, ending up at a grocery store to buy the ketchup chips.

I enjoyed all of those meetings, and I know I'll be meeting the ladies all again.  Unfortunately the one fellow died, so I'm just happy we spent the 12 day cruise together.

Almost forgot, my DH's cousin lives in Honolulu and one lady I chat with met her, based on me introducing them online.  I have yet to meet that lady, but I know it'll happen one day.

I became friendly with a guy on here who said he played Words With Friends.I said I did too.He replied that he was a great player and if I could not give him a good game I would be wasting his time. We played 30 games,I won them all and he is no longer playing me.

In 2017 I started playing 7 people that I met on a cruise.I am still playing one.They other 6 are no longer playing because they were beating be badly in nearly every game.

6 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Len, if you'd like to play me, my name there is the same as my screen name here.  (My average word score is 26, and I play a lot!)

My average is 17 .I play 52 games a day.I will challenge you now

Lenny. I just challenged you .I made the word ply

Edited by lenquixote66