Meeting people from CC in person

lenquixote66

I am great company.

I wash my hands after every toilet visit.

I don't pray.

I have a great sense of humour

I am interesting

I flatly refuse to dress up. Dressing up is a female thing.

I will never wear a penguin suit

I love meeting new folk.

And I am incredibly modest.

See you in the med June 2020.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I am great company.

I wash my hands after every toilet visit.

I don't pray.

I have a great sense of humour

I am interesting

I flatly refuse to dress up. Dressing up is a female thing.

I will never wear a penguin suit

I love meeting new folk.

And I am incredibly modest.

See you in the med June 2020.

Whereas I’m awful company. 

Meeting someone off of Cruise Critic is nothing unusual.  It isn't much different than online dating, except that your goal is socializing on the ship, not bow-chicka-wow-wow.  (That's not to say one precludes the other, but still.)  I myself met two people from my roll call on my first cruise, and they kind of "adopted" me, since I was cruising solo.  We didn't know we were on the same roll call until I brought up Cruise Critic.  We ended up hanging out and going dancing together, and had a blast.  They were older than me, but that was mostly irrelevant.  We had a shared interest in cruising, and that's all that mattered.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Meeting someone off of Cruise Critic is nothing unusual.  It isn't much different than online dating, except that your goal is socializing on the ship, not bow-chicka-wow-wow.  (That's not to say one precludes the other, but still.)  I myself met two people from my roll call on my first cruise, and they kind of "adopted" me, since I was cruising solo.  We didn't know we were on the same roll call until I brought up Cruise Critic.  We ended up hanging out and going dancing together, and had a blast.  They were older than me, but that was mostly irrelevant.  We had a shared interest in cruising, and that's all that mattered.

"bow-chicka-wow-wow"

Hahaha -- son of a gun, that hit me right in the funny bone!

On 7/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, cb at sea said:

We met a couple on our Roll Call....had a fantastic time on the ship...but the distance between our towns (and hubby's health issues) precluded any further meetings.

Listen, there are great people everywhere.  If you don't talk to folks, you'll never know.

I don't know the distance in your case but we met a couple from CC on a cruise and have become good friends. They live in NY and we in NC but since that cruise we've done another cruise together as well as a couple of camping trips. They've been to our house and we to theirs.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, SRF said:

I have been online since before the internet.  I was online with Compuserve in the mid-80s.

I used to love to confuse people telling them I was meeting a friend who I had never met before. 😄

Ha!  I was working with the people who INVENTED the Internet in the 70s...  Back in the good ole' days as a defense contractor.  

I went to a meet & greet on my first cruise.  Said "hi" when I ran into any of them on board.  But, nothing became of it.   

I have done a couple of trips with a company that does small-group (under 20) ADVENTURE excursions for WOMEN and I have kept in contact with a few of those women.  So, I guess it depends on the situation and circumstances and similar interests that would make me want to consider a longer contact than just a few days.  

I have no interest whatsoever in doing so. If I really hit it off with someone, then sure, let's meet up. I'm not looking to meetup with people on CC for the sake of meeting people on CC. If you want to make friends, why not just talk to people on the ship? What is so special about finding people on here?

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I have no interest whatsoever in doing so. If I really hit it off with someone, then sure, let's meet up. I'm not looking to meetup with people on CC for the sake of meeting people on CC. If you want to make friends, why not just talk to people on the ship? What is so special about finding people on here?

Perhaps nothing, perhaps something, it really depends on who the people that you meet are. We have some really good friends out of our meetings, but then we have also met a lot of people that are just people we met a few times.

Nothing special about it at all, what there is something special about is making friends regardless if it’s in person or online.

one of the biggest problems for some groups in our society is being cut off, I can tell you there have been times for me when without the interaction and mental stimulus found online I would probably not have survived some pretty awful health problems and totally lost my mind from boredom.

• Like 1

We have been pretty active on CC from the very beginning (and on other blogs popular prior to CC) and met several folks that we recognized from posts.  In some cases it has gone beyond a simple meeting.  There is one English poster here on CC who we have socialized with both in England (when we were traveling) and in the USA (when he was traveling).  A few others have become cruising friends who we have socialized with on one or more cruises.   There is another poster (from near Dubrovnik) that we met during a port day and enjoyed a long lunch discussing travel/cruise related issues.

And then there are the Meet and Greets.  A few years ago we found them fun and we met quite a few fellow posters.  But most (there are exceptions) Meet and Greets began to become boring with a few folks trying to take charge and dictate rules (such as no talking about private tours or DIY).  In fact, M&Gs have deteriorated so much on some cruise lines that they no longer get good support from the lines (or their staff).  One particular line that used to encourage their Senior Officers to attend M&Gs no longer gives their blessing to Senior Officer participation (although it is not prohibited).  On some other lines (such as MSC) there has been a very proactive attempt to support M&Gs.  Only time will tell if this support is lasting...or fades away like on some other lines.

Hank

44 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

SNIP

One particular line that used to encourage their Senior Officers to attend M&Gs no longer gives their blessing to Senior Officer participation (although it is not prohibited).  On some other lines (such as MSC) there has been a very proactive attempt to support M&Gs.  Only time will tell if this support is lasting...or fades away like on some other lines.

Hank

Which line is that?

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Ha!  I was working with the people who INVENTED the Internet in the 70s...  Back in the good ole' days as a defense contractor.  

SNIP

There's question just begging to be asked. What is Al Gore like? 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Which line is that?

HAL for starters.  I should add that out of curiosity we attended a Meet and Greet on our first MSC cruise and were blown away.  It was held in a large public venue, most of the Senior Officers attended and socialized. the cruise line provided live entertainment and free drinks (along with some snacks), and the Captain gave a very warm speech and then posed for a group photo (everyone later received a free 8x10).  MSC is only doing this on their US based cruises (this may have changed in the past few months).   

Hank

• Like 1