Order small portions in restaurants?

redtees

Over the years the portions have gotten smaller.   So it might not be an issue.   You can ask but from past experience the servers will probably bring you  the normal plate and tell you just to eat what you want and leave the rest.    I'm assuming plates are already portioned out when they go to pick them up and it is faster if they don't have to ask for a different portion.  

• Thanks 1

You can also make a meal of several starters that appeal to you (soups, salads, appetizers) and skip the entrée. I do that sometimes. And when I went with my M-I-L we sometimes shared.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the MDR and the buffet most food is not cooked to order.  So once it is cooked it is "wasted" whether it goes on your plate or stays in the kitchen and goes on no ones's plate.  Ask for what you want but don't stress if you get more than you can eat.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

The portions in the dining room are usually smaller than you would get in a land based restaurant.

We usually find them to be pretty right-sized especially when you also have appetizers / soups / salads as options.

At the buffet, you serve yourself, so you can take what you want.

Check it out the first night and you might find it is the size you want anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never had an issue with portion size. Definitely not the same as a land restaurant.

But, as everyone as said, the meals are already plated. Whether you eat it or not, its wasted. While I'm sure the waiter will attempt to honor your request, it will probably be adding more work on them (they half the already plated portion themselves before bringing it to you).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask for appetizer sized portions in MDR. Order from the children's menu. I'm told the spaghetti and meatballs is great. I keep meaning to order that as my appetizer but then I forget. MDR meals seem to be the right size for us. Specialty restaurants are waaaaaaaaaay too much food for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Ask for appetizer sized portions in MDR. Order from the children's menu. I'm told the spaghetti and meatballs is great. I keep meaning to order that as my appetizer but then I forget. MDR meals seem to be the right size for us. Specialty restaurants are waaaaaaaaaay too much food for us.

The spaghetti and meatballs is NOT a kid size meal, even tho' it's in the kid's menu. The meatball is enormous and there's lots of spaghetti. DH has it all the time, it's a full meal.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The spaghetti and meatballs is NOT a kid size meal, even tho' it's in the kid's menu. The meatball is enormous and there's lots of spaghetti. DH has it all the time, it's a full meal.

Thanks for the info. I had assumed it would be a smaller portion since it was from the children's menu. Assumptions so often turn out to be incorrect.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Thanks for the info. I had assumed it would be a smaller portion since it was from the children's menu. Assumptions so often turn out to be incorrect.

My guess is that the serving is generous because you never know how big that "kid" is. Anywhere from 1 to 99 with the majority 8-16.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

In the MDR and the buffet most food is not cooked to order.  So once it is cooked it is "wasted" whether it goes on your plate or stays in the kitchen and goes on no ones's plate.  Ask for what you want but don't stress if you get more than you can eat.  Enjoy!

I've been told that at least some of the leftover cooked food often goes to the crew's dining room for their enjoyment.

This was told to me by one of the ship's officers.

As far as trying to order small or half portions, my travel companion has requested that a number of times, but full portions were served anyway most of the time. 

Sometimes for dinner I will just order a Caesar salad and request it be topped with a chicken breast, or I have a small Caesar salad, and an appetizer size portion of Pasta alfredo as my main.

Both my travel companion and I are accustomed to eating half or less of a regular sized entrée` when we eat out, and our  remainders go home for 1-2 additional meals apiece. We both wish there was an "official" small portion of most items offered on the dinner menu on the ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Eat many of your meals at the buffet & only take as much as you want.

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer to "dine" in the evening, not go to the buffet. I enjoy the dining room atmosphere, sharing a nice meal with the interesting people we meet each night, as well as being "served" my food.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, flamomo said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer to "dine" in the evening, not go to the buffet. I enjoy the dining room atmosphere, sharing a nice meal with the interesting people we meet each night, as well as being "served" my food.

But the OP was concerned about wasting food. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, ship portions in the MDR are much smaller than most American land restaurants.     If you still find them too large, order one item for 2 of you to share (they'll happily bring you an extra plate, may even split it for you).   Many main dishes, especially pastas, are available in appetizer sizes.    

• Thanks 1

I never found cruise ship food portions to be too big and I'm a light eater. I would not worry about this issue I'm a person who often makes special requests in restaurants to accommodate my diet and they're always very nice about it.  However when cruising I don't plan to do that because I think it just generates more work for the kitchen and/or dining room staff. I'll just push aside the offending item rather than demand they leave it off the plate since it's not an allergy or anything.

48 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

As others have said, ship portions in the MDR are much smaller than most American land restaurants.     If you still find them too large, order one item for 2 of you to share (they'll happily bring you an extra plate, may even split it for you).   Many main dishes, especially pastas, are available in appetizer sizes.    

I think this is a great ideal:)  I always order my pasta as an appetizer to get the smaller size.

6 hours ago, janina said:

I think this is a great ideal:)  I always order my pasta as an appetizer to get the smaller size.

After an appetizer, I order the pasta dish in an appetizer size and then the main.  However, as others have said, it depends on the serving team on the size of the pasta.  Sometimes they bring the full size....and happily, I eat it.  I do think Princess’ pasta selection is diverse and delicious.

Mangia! Paul