Have you ever had something go missing?

Chrisstew007

For future reference related to your iPad should this happen again.....did you think to use the 'find my iPad feature'?  This uses GPS to find the iPad assuming it is on and operational.  Just a good to know thing in the event it turns up missing again.  You can use it from another iPad or iPhone.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, Chrisstew007 said:

Just to clarify, we are not saying ' the butler did it' that would be totally unfair without proof that we do not have.

My wife and I are totally compos mentis, I am a managing director and she is a highly paid professional  we have cruised at least 40 times before without an issue so perhaps not qualified to have an opinion. We had no need for a butler so why would we  complain. We are talking about a large Ipad not a ring or camera. I am not saying that we were on the edge but for those that have been on it they will know how small the safe is.

I would like to hear form the few, if any, as opposed to the millions that have not that will drown out this thread.

Perhaps time to (roughly) quote Eleanor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." 

I might not need the services of a butler when we are in a suite, but I would never assume that poor behavior on his or her part had any remote connection to my standing in the world.  It might rather be their dis-ease (intentional) with their duties to provide passengers with good service if they are truly unpleasant.

That said, I have seen many passengers, including many of my fellow countrymen, be uncomfortable with the formality of service staff such as this, and ascribe it to the service person being standoffish, when it is really meant to be respectful, professional and, yes, formal.

As to the statement that you would only like to "hear from the few" might make it appear that you came with an agenda if you only want to hear negative things about theft on board. I'm sure that wasn't your intention.🙂

Should you be fortunate enough to upgrade in the future, I hope the experience is more to your liking, and that nothing is "misplaced" again, whether by you or a standoffish butler.😉

• Like 1

A few years ago, end of cruise, doing last minute packing before leaving the stateroom for the last time. Put a white box of jewelry on the white sheets and left it behind. Called Celebrity next day. They contacted the ship, it was found by cabin attendant. They said we would have to wait to have it sent until end of current cruise. When ship completed cruise it was turned in and FedExed to me intact. They are super honest. 

• Like 1

On our first cruise on an S-Class ship, we came back to our room and our suitcases were missing.  We had left them on the bed and nowhere to be found.  Contacted the attendant and he showed us he had put them under the bed.  He also placed my camera in a drawer along with my cell phone.  

Now, I only put by wallet and passport  in the safe as we have developed a sense of trust.  Cameras, cell phones, computers, jewelry and watches are left out.  

Off topic but I keep wanting to post. 

Many years back I lost a friend and the funeral was on the coldest day in years in our mountains. I bundled up in a  floor length black wool coat to get thru the below zero temps and wish my sweetheart goodbye.

After all was said and done, I realized I had lost the watch that my husband had given when he met me so many year prior. I had lost a good friend and a watch I had worn every day.

Next fall I was cleaning closets and I saw that coat and tried it on  to see if it still fit and needed to be cleaned.

I put my arm in the sleeve and out came the watch. It had unhooked and attached to the sleeve.

Edited by Cruise it or lose it

I have just printed off our boarding pass for a flight from Barcelona when we finish our celebrity cruise mid September 2019. We can check in and print the pass up to 60 days in advance. The boarding pass had no value but would make it awkward at the Airport.

What Airline lets you check in and print your boarding pass this early?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It is Ryanair, not everyone's favourite airline but we use them about 10 times a year as they go where we go and have never let us down. It would take a lot more than this inconvenience to put us off Celebrity. We have made a move up bid for a suite in September and will also do likewise on the three that we have booked next year. I am relieved that this is a very rare occurance, we are a very easy going couple so if it happened to us I had assumed that some of the more deserving passengers would have had similar treatment, but perhaps they cannot read and write so are not on the forum. Whilst I am still confused that security never showed to search the stateroom, which was a condition of us making a claim against our insurers and then it appeared in a back pack that me and my wife had both checked three times each. Rest assured that  we do not queue up in GR in front of others to report such a sensitive issue without good reason. Hopefully we can end this thread on a positive note that it was one in  a million. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chrisstew007 said:

I am relieved that this is a very rare occurance, we are a very easy going couple so if it happened to us I had assumed that some of the more deserving passengers would have had similar treatment, but perhaps they cannot read and write so are not on the forum. 

Maybe the ones that cannot read or write did a thorough search of their belongings before making accusations.

• Like 2

Many, MANY years ago, on the Century, we had a separate cabin for our then young teen kids.  We were going to dinner, or going to a show, and our son ran back to his cabin to retrieve something he wanted.  He walked in on his cabin steward, with another employee, going through his wallet, which had been left on the dresser.  The cabin steward told him he was looking for something, I kind of recall it was an insurance card, to show his friend.  He had not taken any money (how much does a kid have anyway) or anything at all.  We did report it to security, as it was unsettling.  They moved our kids to a different cabin with a different attendant.  We do not know what happened to the original cabin steward.  Celebrity showered us with "gifts" to express

their remorse.  

3 hours ago, Chrisstew007 said:

assumed that some of the more deserving passengers would have had similar treatment, but perhaps they cannot read and write so are not on the forum.

What?  WHAT??? The only reason other cruisers aren't complaining of similar occurances is because they must be illiterate? 

Yes, no doubt that is the only rational explanation.   😒

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:40 AM, Sascol said:

For future reference related to your iPad should this happen again.....did you think to use the 'find my iPad feature'?  This uses GPS to find the iPad assuming it is on and operational.  Just a good to know thing in the event it turns up missing again.  You can use it from another iPad or iPhone.

Would be interesting to find out if that works.    I would doubt the GPS would work unless it was logged onto the internet and even then not sure if it will pick up your location .  I've tried finding our location in places like Luminae, Al Bacio and even in our stateroom and it couldn't get a GPS location even with Internet activve.   Of course if I went out on the deck or if window was facing the southern Skies I was able to get a GPS fix.

The only I item we have ever had go missing was a Remote Control to the TV.   Never did find it nor did the Butler or Stateroom attendant.  I can only assume it is in the room somewhere. 

I routinely leave our Iphones, PC's, IPads and Fitbit watch out in our room charging.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, Fogfog said:

Not cabin related--but friends were on an RCCL cruise and a zip line went awry--they had video footage of everything as their son was on it... and his cell phone  with that footage  went missing... They are certain it was taken by RCCL crew

My daughter was involved in an incident on one of the ziplines where the staff member dropped the trolley and it fell down to the Boardwalk.  We never sensed any effort to cover up the incident and it did provide an opportunity to meet the Staff Captain.

Over 50 Celebrity cruises and we always leave tablets, cell phones, and laptops out.  Never had anything go missing.  Not saying it could never, ever happen, but crew members would not be employed for long if they started snatching things out of your stateroom!  

One thing that happened to us on a B2B was of concern, but nothing came of it.  Even though we were staying in the same cabin for both legs, after the room steward cleaned the room on the last day he left the door unlocked like he did for all the unoccupied rooms.  Anyone could have gone into our room and taken anything laying out.  From then on, during turn-around day we always put our valuables away just in case.

Ever had anything go missing? Yes... my dignity. One too many martinis on embarkation day on our Japan cruise, while jetlagged... hubby had to gently guide me to bed and I missed dinner that night. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

My daughter was involved in an incident on one of the ziplines where the staff member dropped the trolley and it fell down to the Boardwalk.  We never sensed any effort to cover up the incident and it did provide an opportunity to meet the Staff Captain.

Our friends are convinced "security" took his phone

Both on top of things... it was too odd..as he had a lot of phone video of the incident and surroundings...

They love RCCL and have a ga-jillion pts--- They just KNEW his phone and the evidence "disappeared".

Things go missing? One cruise a number of years ago we searched like crazy for a script of muscle relaxers (methocarbamol) and a pair of DW's sandals. Asked the room steward and he also searched while sweating and obviously very concerned. Glad we didn't report to security because we got home and found the muscle relaxers in the pantry and the sandals in the outside pocket of our large suitcase. They were with us all along. We're often sure about so many things, including our diligent searches, when in fact we're always so fallible.

As far as butler's we've usually had excellent ones (although we really don't avail ourselves of their services) but once we had a major a-h...and it was a full-pay CS, not a move-up bid, so I doubt that matters. We ignored him for the cruise and somehow neglected to tip him anything additional at the end.

I lost a gold and opal bracelet on a Royal ship.  Couldn't find it the next day after wearing it, and thought it was gone forever.  On an off chance went to customer relations desk and asked about it.  After describing it, the nice lady went into the back.  Out she came with it. Cleaner found it in the Asian restaurant after dinner.  The magnetic clasp had opened and fallen off without my noticing.  The bracelet no longer has a magnetic clasp!  They are pretty honest.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:08 PM, gold1953 said:

we moved cabins from CC class to Aqua . Just dropped our stuff off leaving our bag with lotion and a few other things on the desk in the new cabin. The only thing that was out on a surface . I was gone when we came back

Did the steward know you had moved in? Or was he/she just cleaning up after the previous guest to make things shipshape for you?

8 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Did the steward know you had moved in? Or was he/she just cleaning up after the previous guest to make things shipshape for you?

Yes the steward was there when we moved in . This guy didn't clean or replace anything the whole 2 weeks. Cabin was filthy Even walked in on us without knocking. Sticky food on the desk dirty bathroom. I saw another cruiser complain about the same guy after us . 

7 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Yes the steward was there when we moved in . This guy didn't clean or replace anything the whole 2 weeks. Cabin was filthy Even walked in on us without knocking. Sticky food on the desk dirty bathroom. I saw another cruiser complain about the same guy after us . 

You you allowed this for two weeks. :classic_rolleyes: