Hurricane season in the Caribbean

lenquixote66

6 hours ago, murfturf said:

CocoCay - my kids were wrapped in their beach towels on shore. (Texas kids... I wasn't cold, but it wasn't warm) Windy that day. We had wind most of the time, but our St. Thomas and St.Martin days were nice. They also couldn't swim on sea days, very choppy and pools were shut down most days. 

Coco Cay is in the Bahamas (meaning in the Atlantic) not the Eastern Caribbean;  it’s  about 300 miles north of Cuba - with the Caribbean being south of Cuba.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Coco Cay is in the Bahamas (meaning in the Atlantic) not the Eastern Caribbean;  it’s  about 300 miles north of Cuba - with the Caribbean being south of Cuba.

🤷‍♀️ It was called an "Eastern Caribbean Cruise" so that was what I was referring to... 

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Silly decisions! Really? We have cruised since 1994 and live in Port Saint Lucie Florida between Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. We always do cruises during hurricane season but not during the time school is out. One major reason PRICE! Our Allure cruise was cut short by three days but we desided not to go this time. We will be receiving a 100% FCC. The other was a full refund from Carnival a few years ago. One cruise we were on we did not even know a hurricane was near us. When we returned our son asked us about the hurricane. We said, what hurricane? So out of 25 years of cursing only two. Silly? I do not think so. September, October and November cruises are lower in cost including January and sometimes February. From September to February we will book at least 4 cruises. Always Halloween on Carnival. Silly are those that prefer to pay more.

You are replying to the person who also was questioning the original post. You'll read where they say 'Silly decisions? Care to elaborate?"  Just making sure you aren't calling out John&LaLa. They would agree with you! (as would I!) 

1 hour ago, murfturf said:

You are replying to the person who also was questioning the original post. You'll read where they say 'Silly decisions? Care to elaborate?"  Just making sure you aren't calling out John&LaLa. They would agree with you! (as would I!) 

Certainly not. Referring to navybankerteacher post.

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Certainly not. Referring to navybankerteacher post.

Everyone is entitled to think some things are silly.  I think it is silly to choose a Caribbean cruise in the summer - when the weather is probably a lot better at home, rather than in the winter when an escape from the cold strikes me as a good idea.  I think it is silly to visit a series of small Caribbean islands on a ship (perhaps just one of many the same day)  carrying thousands of other people rather than perhaps flying to a favorite island and spending time there.   I think it is silly to spend a significant portion of your vacation trying to swallow the eight or ten (or whatever) drinks per day to make the drinks package make economic sense. 

Feel free to think that things you think are silly actually might be silly.

Edited by navybankerteacher
Missed point
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And I agree with you, buddy.  I also think it's silly to PAY to visit a beach at a port when you have a pool on the ship 🙂    

33 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Everyone is entitled to think some things are silly.  I think it is silly to choose a Caribbean cruise in the summer - when the weather is probably a lot better at home, rather than in the winter when an escape from the cold strikes me as a good idea.  I think it is silly to visit a series of small Caribbean islands on a ship (perhaps just one of many the same day)  carrying thousands of other people rather than perhaps flying to a favorite island and spending time there.   I think it is silly to spend a significant portion of your vacation trying to swallow the eight or ten (or whatever) drinks per day to make the drinks package make economic sense. 

33 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not everyone is physically able to fly to the Caribbean or to any other place.For some of us a cruise is the only way we can get to the Caribbean.

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not everyone is physically able to fly to the Caribbean or to any other place.For some of us a cruise is the only way we can get to the Caribbean.

But one doesn't have to go to the Caribbean at all, right?  There are tons of places to go/cruise other than there.  Our first cruise(s) were B2B 10 day Southern Caribbean cruises (that's another story).  I was ready to jump about day 15 and have zero desire to go back there.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

But one doesn't have to go to the Caribbean at all, right?  There are tons of places to go/cruise other than there.  Our first cruise(s) were B2B 10 day Southern Caribbean cruises (that's another story).  I was ready to jump about day 15 and have zero desire to go back there.

I was responding to NavyBankTeacher not to you.

i live in a relatively cold area during winter months and the Caribbean is the only warm climate that I am able to go to and only by cruise.

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

i live in a relatively cold area during winter months and the Caribbean is the only warm climate that I am able to go to and only by cruise.

One thing  I said was silly was going to the Caribbean in the summer, when it is probably more comfortable at home - rather than in winter when it is good to escape the cold.

I do think it is silly to go to islands crowded with thousands of other people for the few hours you get to spend on them. Have you considered travelling by train to warm places?

41 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I don't think you need to justify why you like to cruise to the Caribbean.  You're not alone.  Many people do, including me.  It's not silly at all.  I try to do it two to three times a year and never get tired of it.

I think what has been established is that each of us has different opinions, or as Paul Simon once wrote, "One Man's ceiling is another man's floor". So it does not matter if someone else thinks what you like is silly, go for it anyway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think what has been established is that each of us has different opinions, or as Paul Simon once wrote, "One Man's ceiling is another man's floor". So it does not matter if someone else thinks what you like is silly, go for it anyway.

Try to have your significant other / travel partner not think ALL your travel preferences are silly. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

I live in the cold Midwest, so a cruise to the Caribbean is really only for warm weather. All the islands sort of look alike after a while and I care very little about the beaches. My goal is sunshine and warmth. The weather in Florida often just isn't warm enough.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:12 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Not everyone can easily travel in the winter months, some cruise for the ocean and to sample a few different locations rather than staying in one spot, some have reasons not to fly.  I think it's silly to assume everyone wants to spend their vacation the same way I do.  I even recognize that even though I don't like the drinks packages, some people enjoy them even if they don't make economic sense - not all value is monetary.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:28 PM, clo said:

And I agree with you, buddy.  I also think it's silly to PAY to visit a beach at a port when you have a pool on the ship 🙂    

A beach =/ a pool.  I think it's silly to crowd into a pool with so many other cruisers when I can have space at a beach, snorkel, or just have my toes in the sand rather than a hot pool deck.  

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

A beach =/ a pool.  I think it's silly to crowd into a pool with so many other cruisers when I can have space at a beach, snorkel, or just have my toes in the sand rather than a hot pool deck.  

No sharks in a pool at least not in my pool 😁

• Haha 1