Tipping Porters

denmarks

2 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

I pray the MileagePlus gods smile upon you.

Nice connecting with you, as well.

I talked to Cindy at UA today and subsequently booked Economy Plus in case the Business doesn't clear.  Travelling these days is tough.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL.  Is there any way on this site to private message?  I'd like to connect with you.

You can try clicking on my forum name above my avatar and see if your PM function is active. I tried you and it says I can only send "0 messages per day".

If that fails, I'll give you my junk email here and a better one later.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL.  Is there any way on this site to private message?  I'd like to connect with you.

The PM feature is not in service for members. However, you can receive PMs from CC staff, administrators, Hosts or Mods.

Edited by TxCityKat
additional info

8 hours ago, The Mikado said:

Any porter who reaches into the Uber to pull our 80 lb bags out without being asked and is then responsible for getting them to the right place so they automagically appear at the door to our stateroom gets $10 from this unsophisticated rube. 

Actually, the person you give $10 to only takes the bags a few feet to hand them over to others who actually get them onto the ship where even others sort them and deliver them to your cabin.

Your $10 goes to someone who does maybe 10% of the work.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Funny, I am a Million Miler on United.  And used to fly Continental a lot, but racked up my miles on them to my Delta or United account.

But the former United people I talk to, talk about how much Continental took over things. 🙂

I was a fan of both airlines.  Both treated customers, especially Elite ones, well.  But, like every airline "merger", two great airlines get together and become idiots. 😞

I was hoping the US Air/American one would take two bad airlines and make a good one, but nope, they just stayed bad.  Maybe worse.  I met an AA FA recently, and she will not even fly her own airline, except to work

No, United definitely took over the airline as time went by. The pilots union, ALPA, which is controlled by the United pilots just by sheer numbers, had to grossly violate the decades-old ALPA merger policy (when merging two ALPA-represented airlines) to advantage the United pilots in the merger of the seniority list with the Continental pilots. 

They were also able, ultimately, to get rid of all of the Continental pilots in the training department. That’s totally a legacy-United pilot show now. 

Since I’m turning age 65 this year and will lose my retiree medical, my only contact with United Airlines will be my passes and my access to the discount program. And it’s fine with me. 

36 minutes ago, caribill said:

Actually, the person you give $10 to only takes the bags a few feet to hand them over to others who actually get them onto the ship where even others sort them and deliver them to your cabin.

Oh, well. 

No system is perfect.

But, if life is so rich at the curbside with all those fat tips, why aren’t those guys behind him who, according to you, do all the work, scrambling to move to the curb?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Mikado said:

No, United definitely took over the airline as time went by. The pilots union, ALPA, which is controlled by the United pilots just by sheer numbers, had to grossly violate the decades-old ALPA merger policy (when merging two ALPA-represented airlines) to advantage the United pilots in the merger of the seniority list with the Continental pilots. 

They were also able, ultimately, to get rid of all of the Continental pilots in the training department. That’s totally a legacy-United pilot show now. 

Since I’m turning age 65 this year and will lose my retiree medical, my only contact with United Airlines will be my passes and my access to the discount program. And it’s fine with me. 

But they kept the CO reservation system (and the change over was HORRIBLE).  And the CO FF numbers.

So maybe on the pilot side UA took over.  On the passenger side, mainly CO.

Funny thing is, I flew with some guys who hired on with People's Express in the early days to get an airline job.  They are now United pilots. 😄

But a friend of mine, started his airline career on DC-3s.  With North Central, that merged into Republic, that merged into NorthWest.  He from from DC-3s to 747s. 😄

4 hours ago, clo said:

I talked to Cindy at UA today and subsequently booked Economy Plus in case the Business doesn't clear.  Travelling these days is tough.

The nice thing when I fly UA is, I am Million Miler, which gives me lifetime Gold, which gives me free Economy Plus, from booking. 🙂

And I have to thank the merger for making Million Miler.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

But they kept the CO reservation system (and the change over was HORRIBLE).  And the CO FF numbers.

So maybe on the pilot side UA took over.  On the passenger side, mainly CO.

Funny thing is, I flew with some guys who hired on with People's Express in the early days to get an airline job.  They are now United pilots. 😄

But a friend of mine, started his airline career on DC-3s.  With North Central, that merged into Republic, that merged into NorthWest.  He from from DC-3s to 747s. 😄

I knew a guy who was furloughed from United, got hired at PE, stayed with CAL after the merger, and is now back at United 25 years later. Not sure how they integrated his seniority. 

The Republic/Northwest merger was interesting. The Republic Captains were “fenced” out of all of Northwest’s widebody aircraft for something like 15 years. I met several ex-Republic Captains who bid down to First Officer to fly the 747. That fence is long gone and now everyone is Delta!

10 hours ago, The Mikado said:

You can try clicking on my forum name above my avatar and see if your PM function is active. I tried you and it says I can only send "0 messages per day".

If that fails, I'll give you my junk email here and a better one later.

.... nnooOOOO 

Image result for it's a trap

On 8/23/2019 at 9:14 PM, The Mikado said:

I knew a guy who was furloughed from United, got hired at PE, stayed with CAL after the merger, and is now back at United 25 years later. Not sure how they integrated his seniority. 

The Republic/Northwest merger was interesting. The Republic Captains were “fenced” out of all of Northwest’s widebody aircraft for something like 15 years. I met several ex-Republic Captains who bid down to First Officer to fly the 747. That fence is long gone and now everyone is Delta!

What a round robin.

I will have to ask Randy about that merger.  I will see him end of Sept.  He will be at our annual gathering of aviation folk.  Part of the oldest online special interest group.  Continuously online since 1981.

He is also former Chief Pilot of CAF.  And flew Fifi out of China Lake when they got her.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, caribill said:

So?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

So?

The poster I was responding to thought that the tip was going to someone who did most of the work getting his luggage to the cabin. But the people who do most of the work get no part of that tip.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:43 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Everyone who works loading or unloading at docks belong to a union.  Porters are the lowest and least paid position.

That is not what chengkp75 has said.  He said that in the union everything goes by seniority and Porter for a cruise ship is the cushiest and most sought after task, because they get a full day's pay for a short day and they get tips from people who don't even realize that these guys make 6 figures even before those tips.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 8:47 PM, The Mikado said:

Is that too much to make?

It's enough that  I feel no need to tip them.

I tip in 2 circumstances. 

1) when the position is one where people are paid below standard wages in the expectation that tips will bring them up to standard level.  Example:  the daily gratuities.

2) when someone goes above and beyond their normal duties in a way that benefits me.

Neither applies to these longshoremen.

7 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

That is not what chengkp75 has said.  He said that in the union everything goes by seniority and Porter for a cruise ship is the cushiest and most sought after task, because they get a full day's pay for a short day and they get tips from people who don't even realize that these guys make 6 figures even before those tips.

That is not what he said.  There is no job in the US that is high paying, cushy and held exclusively by elderly men of color. 

On 8/26/2019 at 10:26 PM, caribill said:

The poster I was responding to thought that the tip was going to someone who did most of the work getting his luggage to the cabin. But the people who do most of the work get no part of that tip.

You mean the porters don't take my bags all the way to my stateroom?

Next you're going to tell me that the Easter Bunny isn't real...

1 minute ago, The Mikado said:

You mean the porters don't take my bags all the way to my stateroom?

Next you're going to tell me that the Easter Bunny isn't real...

No worry. The Easter Bunny is real. I saw him (her?) once on a cruise ship on Easter Sunday.

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters so much to you how much porters/longshoremen/et al make?

It's worth it to me to give a guy $10 so I don't have to touch, lift, tote, drag, etc any bag any distance. I don't really care what his tax returns are. He's giving me value for my money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Mikado said:

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters so much to you how much porters/longshoremen/et al make?

It's worth it to me to give a guy $10 so I don't have to touch, lift, tote, drag, etc any bag any distance. I don't really care what his tax returns are. He's giving me value for my money.

I agree 100 percent.

21 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is not what he said.  There is no job in the US that is high paying, cushy and held exclusively by elderly men of color. 

This is hilarious, because you made the same claim in another thread a while back and I refuted it then by posting this link of EXACTLY what he said, in so many words, as it is HIS post.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2582643-tipping-longshoremen-do-you-or-dont-you/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-55687608