Why You Shouldn't Wait Until Retirement to Travel

mnocket

5 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yeah, making fun of old people is guaranteed knee-slapping hilarious.

Interesting response.  I'm an "old person" and I found it funny.  Sorry you found it offensive.

• Like 9

In all seriousness, I would never wait. Tomorrow isn't given. My father died young. I've been lucky enough to travel the world from a young age, and it continues to be a priority to my wife and I. We don't have kids, partly because we would rather see the world. Now in our thirties, we have no plans to slow down. Life is too short as is, and it could be even shorter than we realize.

That being said, I've seen that pic many times and it always makes me smirk.

• Like 4

A very close friends wife passed away from cancer. He told me they were always planning on what to do when they retire. It never came. He told us do it now or you may never do it at all. Two years alter he died. Started cruising in 94 retired 8 years ago and do 4-7 a year. I found it funny. It that is the tunnel of love. They may have fell asleep for a different reason🥰

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Go while you can.  Life is short.  Enjoy whatever you can.

This is SO true !! Case in point: My dear father went to work for the same company, less than 2 years after returning from the Pacific, in 1946. Worked there for 41 years, till he was 65. Never took a 'vacation' longer than a week at a time every year (He only got 2 weeks a year). Retired 1987and by 1992 he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in 1994. He and my mom always 'planned' too travel when he retired (even bought a mobile camper) in 1988 and only got to use it once before he became too sick to travel.

When my company offered me a retirement package after I had worked there 30 years when I was 62. I instantly thought about their dreams of travel and WHAT might haven been...And I took it. I had some doubts but was determined NOT to live my life wondering what I MIGHT have missed seeing.

Mac

• Like 5

Our children have told us to spend their inheritance enjoying life for ourselves, not save it for them. And we have been doing exactly that for the last 2 decades. I am now retired and the wife will be in a little more than a year. We are not planning on slowing down.

But we do plan to get enough sleep so we can enjoy ourselves while on the go!!  😉😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SantaFeFan said:

Our children have told us to spend their inheritance enjoying life for ourselves, not save it for them. And we have been doing exactly that for the last 2 decades. I am now retired and the wife will be in a little more than a year. We are not planning on slowing down.

But we do plan to get enough sleep so we can enjoy ourselves while on the go!!  😉😉

My siblings and I told our parents the same thing. Unfortunately they did not heed our advice. We finally talked my mother - years after my father passed - to come with us on a European vacation in 2001. She was 71 at the time. She even had to apply for her first passport to go. She enjoyed herself so much that she started planning another vacation to visit Belgium where my father received a wartime injury that left him partially disabled. They met while he was recovering in the hospital. 

Unfortunately, my mother died of complications from heart surgery before she could take that 2nd trip. That really convinced us that it is never too early to start enjoying travel and other activities. 

58 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Why retire, hopefully choose a job that you love it, what is a vacation w/o the joy of going back to work, one spends so much time at work you better love it, and vacations too 🙂

Two weeks from now marks 32 years with my employer. Right now I have 7+ weeks personal time off each year, and that's before paid holidays. It's been a great career, but it's meant that when I try to match my time off with DH's time off (he's a college professor), we're limited to vacations in July and the first two weeks of August. I'd like to vacation at some other times of the year. And there are younger people whom I'm teaching my job to - when they're ready, I'll step aside. Aside from traveling, I'd like some additional volunteer opportunities and more time to spend in my garden.

I always take my cue from my MIL. She was someone who stayed home with the kids until they were older, then went back to work. She would always say, "When I retire we'll travel" or "When I retire I want the grandkids to come stay during the summer." Well, she retired at 67. A few weeks after her 68th birthday she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and she was gone before she was 69. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was a workaholic.I never took days off and in 25 years of working for one employer only took 3 real vacations. What was my reward ? I had 6 weeks to go to make 25 years and get a gold watch.The company had a downsizing and I was in it.

Ah, sorry to hear and I can totally relate.   I too have a very personal story there I highly doubt many others gave as much to work as I did, no bitterness, business is business, do what you love and love what you do, BTW took my vacations and they were always with family, family first, but.  Sorry what role model are you if you don't love what you do and do what you do with love.  When one measures vacation or work by days o or hours then that indeed is a very sad state, I can appreciate why with that kind of bean counting we end up with the posts/replies I see here,  LOL

Edited by chipmaster

2 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Two weeks from now marks 32 years with my employer. Right now I have 7+ weeks personal time off each year, and that's before paid holidays. It's been a great career, but it's meant that when I try to match my time off with DH's time off (he's a college professor), we're limited to vacations in July and the first two weeks of August. I'd like to vacation at some other times of the year. And there are younger people whom I'm teaching my job to - when they're ready, I'll step aside. Aside from traveling, I'd like some additional volunteer opportunities and more time to spend in my garden.

I always take my cue from my MIL. She was someone who stayed home with the kids until they were older, then went back to work. She would always say, "When I retire we'll travel" or "When I retire I want the grandkids to come stay during the summer." Well, she retired at 67. A few weeks after her 68th birthday she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and she was gone before she was 69. 

Sorry to hear of your loss, but that is even more reason to love what you do and do what you love

DH and I retired end of last year. I am 52 and DH is 62. We have been traveling a lot since we have become empty nesters 6 years ago. Last year DH was diagnosed with cancer. He is now cancer free and it put a lot into perspective. We look forward to many more years of travel, both just the two of us and with family. Remember, it is never too late to start, until it is.

13 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

My siblings and I told our parents the same thing. Unfortunately they did not heed our advice. We finally talked my mother - years after my father passed - to come with us on a European vacation in 2001. She was 71 at the time. She even had to apply for her first passport to go. She enjoyed herself so much that she started planning another vacation to visit Belgium where my father received a wartime injury that left him partially disabled. They met while he was recovering in the hospital. 

Unfortunately, my mother died of complications from heart surgery before she could take that 2nd trip. That really convinced us that it is never too early to start enjoying travel and other activities. 

My Mother continued working until Spring of last year when we finally convinced her to stop.  She was 73 at the time.  She had a major stroke in November and has lost the use of her left side and is currently living in an assisted living home with max assist.  Luckily we were able to take her on a couple family vacations with us.  Not cruises though.  We found out when we took her and my step dad on a cruise in 2005 that she had an issue with sea sickness.  But we were able to convinced her to go to a VRBO with us in Florida 2 year ago and to Minot, ND to see my son last year (with side trips Mt. Rushmore, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, and driving home through the UP).  I am so glad we were able to do that with her before her stroke.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Why retire, hopefully choose a job that you love it, what is a vacation w/o the joy of going back to work, one spends so much time at work you better love it, and vacations too 🙂

I respectfully disagree with that.  While I love my job, I do not live to work.  I work to live.  My job is coming close to fulfilling it's purpose.  Which is to support me and my family for my lifetime plus in the manner that I want to live.  I am already at that goal but working the next year and half for the "plus" and a little extra security.  I will be retiring the year I turn 55 and will enjoy being on a permanent vacation.  I will enjoy having the flexibility to visit my children, where ever they may land, when ever I want or when ever they may need me.  I will not have to stress about being able to be there for my Mother whenever she may need me now that she needs extra care after her stroke.  I will enjoy having the flexibility to travel where ever, when ever my husband and I want as that is one of our favorite hobbies.  Who knows....maybe I'll even have time to write that best seller that has just been lurking in the back of my brain to come out.  Loving my job does not mean I don't want to move on to the next stage in my life....which I do want to enjoy while I still have my health to enjoy it.  My job has served it's purpose now it is time to move on.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Sorry what role model are you if you don't love what you do and do what you do with love.  When one measures vacation or work by days o or hours then that indeed is a very sad state, I can appreciate why with that kind of bean counting we end up with the posts/replies I see here,  LOL

To be fair not everyone gets a chance to do what they love. In an ideal world we would all work for the love of it but sometimes circumstances just get in the way and it comes down to needing the money. I don't think it should make you a bad role model😳.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Ah, sorry to hear and I can totally relate.   I too have a very personal story there I highly doubt many others gave as much to work as I did, no bitterness, business is business, do what you love and love what you do, BTW took my vacations and they were always with family, family first, but.  Sorry what role model are you if you don't love what you do and do what you do with love.  When one measures vacation or work by days o or hours then that indeed is a very sad state, I can appreciate why with that kind of bean counting we end up with the posts/replies I see here,  LOL

This reminded me of something my daughter said just a couple of weeks ago.  She is 22 and is currently in her "Super" Senior year at a local university finishing up her education degree.  She is student teaching this year as well as dancing on the dance team for a local semi-pro basketball team for her 4th season.  Her eventual goal is to teach in an elementary school and be a coach on a high school dance team.  But she has a short term goal next year, after she gets her degree, of dancing on a pro basketball dance team while substitute teaching for a couple of years.  Dancing is her first love.  Teaching kids is her second love.  She told me when she talked about trying out for the pro basketball dance team, "How can I go in front of my students and tell them to pursue their dreams if I don't go out and pursue my own first?"  I think she will make an excellent teacher.

• Like 4

My mum really pushed the me to travel now not later. She always thought she would travel when retired but then a string of health problems and she found her travel options limited. So she tells me travel now while you have all the options available to you. It is one of the reason I try to travel to as many obscure and hard to reach places as I can. Overall my family hasn't had the best luck in the genetic lottery so I try to look after my health as best I can (in many ways travel motivates me to keep healthy)  but if the time comes where I am severely limited at least I will have a stockpile of photos I can look through and remember my amazing adventures🤗.