New "fee" of $14/day on Perks Drink Package to be added?

Lady_Gamecock

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Haven, being the key word here. The  majority of passengers won’t share the same experience. While Celebrity is bridging the gap more and more towards the NCL and Carnival experience  I feel that I can still have a more upscale experience in a basic room on Celebrity.

I have been on both lines, not in Haven...your statement is correct...X is nicer overall, by a good bit based on my latest cruise on Equinox.

JHC. I took a break from Celebrity for a few years but was just online trying to book a 14 day Asian cruise. I am so confused, I am about to say screw it. It used to be very simple. Pick a cruise. Pick a date. Pick your perks. Pay the (refundable) deposit. Be on my merry way.

Now we have refundable v non-refundable. Sail or Sail Plus with Sail Plus not adding perks? Does Sail Plus mean perks? Do they give perks on 14 day cruises? Didn't appear to when booking a balcony. Now the added $14 per day. Some alcohol upgraded, some downgraded. Drink tickets? Premium experiences with tours? WTH is going on? 

Can someone just tell me if a 14 day cruise to Asia, all categories showing Sail or Sail Plus, should include perks like the drink package? My goal is to book this cruise with a refundable deposit and an included classic drink package. 

Edited by purpletequila

On 10/6/2019 at 7:29 PM, govanguy said:

So, here we around again....those not taking a drinks package in the UK would pay the increased price too?

Dangerous strategy.

The current changes do not apply to bookings made in U.K.  In U.K. the current offer includes classic drinks package in the overall cost of the cruise. Celebrity U.K. don’t offer different options whereas in the USA they have option to book with no perks, 2 perks or 4 perks. If one of the perks chosen is drinks package, then $14 per day is added to overall cost of the cruise.

1 hour ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

The current changes do not apply to bookings made in U.K. ............

Well, I rang them yesterday (0800-240-4259) and was told that it does apply to UK bookings - Confusion ....!!!

So I called them again this morning the reply was "we haven't been told by US Head office yet whether the charge will or will not be applied to UK bookings. She said they are normally aligned but was unable to confirm one way or the other at this time......"

Edited by mickey89

Does this $14 pp per day apply to suites? The bev package is one of the perks given to suites. As suites are already paying a huge amount over a regular cabin, I certainly hope Celebrity doesn't expect to charge an additional amount for this so called  free perk. 

11 minutes ago, NJ Gal said:

Does this $14 pp per day apply to suites? The bev package is one of the perks given to suites. As suites are already paying a huge amount over a regular cabin, I certainly hope Celebrity doesn't expect to charge an additional amount for this so called  free perk. 

That would be insane to do, so I doubt it. 

Its shown it is not included with the suites, the surcharge, its posted numerous times in the thread.  This is only affecting reg cabins on people who take one of the perk packages that include the bev package.  If you don't take the bev package the $14 is not added to the cruise. 

Everyone can take it as it is, Id rather have it this way then spread to all rooms but others can disagree.  I don't see Celebrity as a booze cruise as some have pointed out.  I have always seen the same amount of people drinking heavily even before the perk of the alcohol package.  I think the shift has been with these, I know for me anyway, I drink a lot more of the premium coffees and juices, along with premium waters.  I don't drink soda so that was never an interest in the packages.  I also will try different wines more often.  I drink the same amount of alcohol but overall much more of the beverages one can purchase.  As many have pointed out there are other cruise lines and that is what the market offers. Choices are good to have and its the nature of the business.  I have shopped around and for Caribbean sailings I still find Celebrity the best overall product for myself and my family.    

28 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Its shown it is not included with the suites, the surcharge, its posted numerous times in the thread.  This is only affecting reg cabins on people who take one of the perk packages that include the bev package.  If you don't take the bev package the $14 is not added to the cruise. 

Everyone can take it as it is, Id rather have it this way then spread to all rooms but others can disagree.  I don't see Celebrity as a booze cruise as some have pointed out.  I have always seen the same amount of people drinking heavily even before the perk of the alcohol package.  I think the shift has been with these, I know for me anyway, I drink a lot more of the premium coffees and juices, along with premium waters.  I don't drink soda so that was never an interest in the packages.  I also will try different wines more often.  I drink the same amount of alcohol but overall much more of the beverages one can purchase.  As many have pointed out there are other cruise lines and that is what the market offers. Choices are good to have and its the nature of the business.  I have shopped around and for Caribbean sailings I still find Celebrity the best overall product for myself and my family.    

Thanks for the balanced opinion.  I think it reflects my view too and perhaps (??) a silent majority of Celebrity cruisers.  Celebrity has not turned into a party ship atmosphere.  The added amount of $14 is a personal choice involved with a perk (bad word - it is really a prepaid option).  It wasn't there before so I understand the consternation about it.  You have the choice of not taking the beverage package and perhaps using OBC or your own cash to buy drinks.  That works fine if you do not drink very much alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages.  But the added $14 a day is really the equivalent of just one drink price (or less!) in many cases so it still might be worth it overall.  If you are Elite or above you might get away with just the nightly free drinks and paying for others as a less expensive alternative.  

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 4:19 AM, cruisedoctor said:

Your other options were to purchase your cruise with 2 to 4 free perks.  But, the cruise fare for purchasing the cruise with these free perks was higher, than the cruise fare without the free perks.  And, the more perks you opted for, the higher the cruise fare was.

I was aware of this but honestly how can you consider something that costs additional and is tied to rates FREE?

Just curious how does anyone justify that?

George in NY

21 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

I was aware of this but honestly how can you consider something that costs additional and is tied to rates FREE?

Just curious how does anyone justify that?

George in NY

I think that is part of the whole problem here how people are perceiving things.  Beverage package perk was not free.  It was drinks at no cost when on board but it was paid for at the 30-35pp per night additional cost when you the cruise was purchased.  Its marketing which every brand does to confuse the people into a perception that is not the reality of the situation. 

23 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Its marketing which every brand does to confuse the people into a perception that is not the reality of the situation. 

Said do well, or asI would call it the " magic " of sales. In the early 90's the cruise sales marketing was simple. Put out a gorgeous brochure, list prices at TWICE what you actually charge. Then simply have a 1/2 off price sale. Never ceased to amaze me, one person would say NO to 50% off each person YET jump in joy at receiving BUY ONE GET ONE FREE. As you say the perception rules!

Brochure price $5000 per person, 2 cruisers costs $10,000 ( if someone paid retail sales person would have a heart attack ) 

But wait big sale Each fare half price, 2 cruisers cost $5,000

Don't like it, tell ya what I'm going to do. You pay full fare for yours and the second person is FREE!!!! Cost 2 cruisers, $5000.

So many ways to enhance drink package perception I just can't type that much. Let's not even get into New Car Sales. A great marketing person doesn't give you a great deal. They make you THINK you got a great deal. Perception is a wonderful thing.

George in NY

3 hours ago, bikerunner said:

I don't see Celebrity as a booze cruise as some have pointed out.  I have always seen the same amount of people drinking heavily even before the perk of the alcohol package.  I think the shift has been with these, I know for me anyway, I drink a lot more of the premium coffees and juices, along with premium waters.  I don't drink soda so that was never an interest in the packages.  I also will try different wines more often.  I drink the same amount of alcohol but overall much more of the beverages one can purchase.  As many have pointed out there are other cruise lines and that is what the market offers. Choices are good to have and its the nature of the business.  I have shopped around and for Caribbean sailings I still find Celebrity the best overall product for myself and my family.    

Bikerunner, this is exactly our situation. DH sticks to his tried and tested Scotches but with the beverage package I get to try out different drinks, both alcoholic and non alcoholic.

And I don’t ever remember to have service any fellow cruiser worse the wear for drink, though the European itineraries we do are all port intensive. Maybe it’s different in the Caribbean, haven’t been there. Celebrity really isn’t a party line, more for the staid oldies, lol 😂  

On 10/6/2019 at 8:14 PM, yorky said:

And Princess is by no means a poor option. The cruise I mentioned is on Sea Princess which we have sailed on in the past along with the sister ship the Dawn Princess. Nice size ships in our view.

We did a couple of Sea Princess cruises a long time ago before she went to Australia and enjoyed both. One was a Med one from Southampton and the other was the Panama Canal from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale. Got a great deal on the Panama one. Managed to pick up a full suite for the cost of a mini suite (got the last one booking the day the cruise was released)

6 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Well, I rang them yesterday (0800-240-4259) and was told that it does apply to UK bookings - Confusion ....!!!

So I called them again this morning the reply was "we haven't been told by US Head office yet whether the charge will or will not be applied to UK bookings. She said they are normally aligned but was unable to confirm one way or the other at this time......"

Do they really know what is going on!!!

How can they make an additional charge if they are offering a deal which includes drinks as a package for which there are no options. U.K. website are offering “free” drinks package.

From my perspective, it is a deal which is being offered to USA and Canada cruisers!

20 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

From my perspective, it is a deal which is being offered to USA and Canada cruisers!

Your perspective is irrelevant.  You made a statement that it didn’t apply to the U.K., that is NOT a fact.  

27 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

Do they really know what is going on!!!

How can they make an additional charge if they are offering a deal which includes drinks as a package for which there are no options. U.K. website are offering “free” drinks package.

2 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Your perspective is irrelevant.  You made a statement that it didn’t apply to the U.K., that is NOT a fact.  

It’s irrelevant either way as you’ll be paying it whether it’s directly or indirectly - the same that has been happening since the ‘free’ beverage package was introduced. Nothing in life is free!

49 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Sorry I am not following your reasoning! What statement did I make that didn’t apply to the U.K.? I believe we are talking about the Additional charge of $14 per day which is being added to bookings in USA and Canada where selecting drinks package as a perk.

16 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

The reason for the additional charge for beverage package is shown on the attached link
http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Beverage_Pkg_Perk_Price_Increase-Field-Trade_One_Pager.pdf The offers contained are not available in U.K. 

In the U.K. the cost of the drinks package are included in the price of the cruise.

Edited by jimzgoldfinch

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, Oville said:

Do you really believe Celebrity and NCL are even comparable, they’re not.

They are not as far apart as they used to be.  We took a NCL cruise last year, our first NCL in many years and with the "free perks" which gave us 5 out of 7 days in specialty restuarants the food and service were quite comparable.  The burger place (pub) was FAR superior to the mast grill. Those burgers, dogs, wings and other items were fantastic.  Now, the MDR and Buffet are much better on X, no question.  The many choices for dining was great and many of them have indoor and outdoor seating which was very nice.  We sure missed Cafe Al Baccio though, and even the regular coffee on NCL was terrible.

The entertainment was MUCH better on NCL and on that ship (the Bliss) the decor was beautiful.  A far cry from the old circus like ships NCL had.  Our cabin was also a little nicer than a comperable cabin on an S-class ship (possibly because it's a newer ship).  Yes, their booze package is a joke (both price and what's included, no water seriously...), but overall the cost was still a fair bit less than a comparable X cruise.  Bottom line, we booked 2 more NCL cruises, we are on the Bliss again in 3 weeks.  We still have 2 cruises booked on X, but at the rate they are raising prices we are rapidly losing interest in them.  And even my parents who are around 80 joined us and loved it. They typically cruise X as they are Elite+, or they cruise Princess and got straight off the Bliss and right onto a Princess ship docked next to us. They said the Bliss was far superior to the Princess ship too. They are joining us again this year and even brought some friends. 2 years ago they would have not looked twice at an NCL cruise.  So X is losing customers with these price hikes.

Edited by TFLG

If  cruisers leave  X for  NCL and MSC or return to those lines, Celebrity may go back to offering a better experience.  Even at a higher price point, it would be welcomed by  many !  

• Like 1

it looks like Celebrity is taking a page from NCL's playbook in squeezing more $ from us passengers.

on NCL, you can select the drinks package as a perk but pay 20% tips.

the drinks package is priced at a laughable $100/day if bought outright! :o

so the passenger pays $20/day in tips for a 'free' perk.

How much does the drinks package costs normally for Celebrity?

and where does this $14/day fee goto? tips for the bartenders or straight to Celebrity's bottom line?

Celebrity now has 3 cruise fares for the same cabin: no perks, 2 free perks or 4 free perks

just like NCL, you're basically paying for your perks.

and just like NCL, on top of paying for your 'free' perks you're paying even more $ in the form of $14/day.

calculate the price difference between the no perk cabin and the 2 perk cabin with alcohol perk's $14/day extra fee.

what's the overall cost per day for the 'free' alcohol perk?

For NCL, the price difference between a no perk inside cabin and an inside with a perk is at about $50 for a 7day cruise.

that's $7/day.

so $20/day tips + $7/day = $27/day extra a person is paying for alcohol.

breakeven is 3 drinks a day.

8 hours ago, hcat said:

If  cruisers leave  X for  NCL and MSC or return to those lines, Celebrity may go back to offering a better experience.  Even at a higher price point, it would be welcomed by  many !  

Don't forget HAL! Now that they have finally joined the 21st Century, when it comes to restricting smoking, we will finally be giving them a try, next year. They (along with Princess) have a much better West-Coast presence than X or RC. 😎

Here is the news posting on cruise critic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4540/

It does not mention if this is for the current promotion but my guess it is for the long haul.  Nor does it say anything about if it applies to future or standing reservations and if it will be added to your on board account or to the rate at time of booking.

I think my biggest qualm is calling the perks "free".  they should be labeled as "discounted" as there is a price jump from a base fare and the add 2 or 4 perk quote.  

We are sailing on the Edge in January and I'm watching this forum for more information. Any info is greatly appreciated.  thanks and happy sailing!

Edited by cruznthrulife71