New "fee" of $14/day on Perks Drink Package to be added?

Lady_Gamecock

On 9/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, bEwAbG said:

This is true but they're also taking advantage of the vast majority of cruisers who do not have the time or ability to do the research.  Thankfully places like this board exist where you can get some details (even that is not consistent across their fleet).  Good luck finding anything on Celebrity's site other than a "these are examples of the types of liquor in each package that may change at our prerogative" list. It would be one thing if they posted menus with prices online in advance.  Instead, they rely on consumer ignorance to fleece their customers as best as possible.

Their current pricing schemes are highly deceptive and have become much murkier this year.  I think the only thing that will stop it is if the Attorney General in Florida starts feeling pressure from consumers or if a large media outlet does an expose.

Exactly, I read many posts on these threads by people that say they love the beverage packages because they don't have to worry about what they are spending on alcohol.

I wonder how many people ever do a cruise without the packages and then do an accounting to see what they would normally spend for alcohol.    I do this on every cruise and have never purchased a beverage package.

The MOST we ever spent on alcohol for a 14 day cruise was about $550 total for both of us.  Why would we pay what amounts to 2/3 the cost of the cruise for beverage packages?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

The MOST we ever spent on alcohol for a 14 day cruise was about $550 total for both of us.  Why would we pay what amounts to 2/3 the cost of the cruise for beverage packages?

Right.  For you, it wouldn't make sense based on your data.  But for many others, it makes sense because of the large variety of what's covered by the package besides alcohol.  Back in my early days of cruising beverage packages were quite the exception from the norm.  Our budget was tighter back then so we kept things pretty simple.  The evolution of the drink package has allowed us more flexibility in our beverage choices knowing that we've got the payment for them behind us.  I'm just grateful for having the choice to cherry pick options that allows for individualized cruising based on personal preferences and habits.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm just grateful for having the choice to cherry pick options that allows for individualized cruising based on personal preferences and habits.

THIS. We all ask for more options to individualize our cruises... and like you, I appreciate having them. It can be confusing but once you know what you want, you can price it out and see if it fits within your personal budget. 

5 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Exactly, I read many posts on these threads by people that say they love the beverage packages because they don't have to worry about what they are spending on alcohol.

i know how that feels.

there are 2 sushi restaurants near me:

1) all you can eat for $20

2) the other has a $10 cover charge but most items are $1 and the rest are $2. also comes with free miso soup and appetizer, which i would have ordered anyway.

both restaurants have similar items, quality and service.

i have eaten at both.

for the one with $10 cover charge, i had a $18 bill (+ tax/tip).

throughout the whole meal, i was keep count of my costs.

the $20 buffet was more enjoyable. the $2 savings wasnt worth the effort.

for celebrity's alcohol surcharge:

1) if you're below breakeven then dont get the package. 

2) if you're above breakeven (ie: 1+ drinks a day above breakeven), then get the package 

3) if you are at breakeven, still get the package. you're on vacation. i find keeping track of costs isnt worth the mental effort if you're around breakeven.

for a 7 day cruise: 7 x 3 drinks/day = 21 drinks for the week for breakeven.

i say if you estimate 21 +/- 10%, then get the package.

ie: 19-23 drinks for the week

Edited by fstuff1

5 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I wonder how many people ever do a cruise without the packages and then do an accounting to see what they would normally spend for alcohol.    I do this on every cruise and have never purchased a beverage package.

I am one who likes using a beverage package because I like to have as much paid up front as possible. 

I do NOT however, do math to see if I'm "sticking it to the man". I know I'll get at least a couple of bottles of water a day, a couple of specialty coffees, a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, and a smoothie after a workout. Other drinks from time to time. My gut is I'll come close enough to making it "worth it" - even though I got the package as a perk before the extra charge (upgraded before the extra charge as well as I like having sparkling water at dinner on a ship). Honestly even with the $14/day extra fee, I will likely still get a package if I cruise X after this upcoming cruise because of the convenience and not having to think about how much OBC I have left.

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

2) if you're above breakeven (ie: 1+ drinks a day above breakeven), then get the package 

3) if you are at breakeven, still get the package. you're on vacation. i find keeping track of costs isnt worth the mental effort if you're around breakeven.

I use a similar calculation.

The only difference is that I recommend to get the package even if you are only at about 80% of breakeven.

The reason is because I'll purchase more beverages if I'm on a package than if I'm not. I might get something on a whim if I'm on a package. I don't have to decide if I really want it. I just get it.

There is value to not having to keep track of costs, but there is also value in being able to order beverages that you might not have otherwise ordered.

12 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

There is value to not having to keep track of costs, but there is also value in being able to order beverages that you might not have otherwise ordered.

Agreed.  I am more apt to try something new and not feel guilty about it or think I am wasting money.  I don't try to stick it to them, but I enjoy knowing I can drink most of everything on the menu when I want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I love this analogy. If this were grocery shopping, the cheaper option would be superior. But this is vacation, an experience. Even a simple meal at a sushi buffet is an experience. If you have to pay up a little to enhance the experience, so be it. The derived value may not always be measured in just dollars and cents.

9 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i know how that feels.

there are 2 sushi restaurants near me:

1) all you can eat for $20

2) the other has a $10 cover charge but most items are $1 and the rest are $2. also comes with free miso soup and appetizer, which i would have ordered anyway.

both restaurants have similar items, quality and service.

i have eaten at both.

for a 7 day cruise: 7 x 3 drinks/day = 21 drinks for the week for breakeven.

i say if you estimate 21 +/- 10%, then get the package.

ie: 19-23 drinks for the week

Exactly.  I don’t even drink alcohol and I can consume $30+ a day from smoothies at the spa to lattes and pop and water.   This is for sure an extreme first world problem thread.  

44 minutes ago, weregoingcruising said:

Less cruisers picking the drink package = shorter lines at the bars.

There should be no line at the bar.  I expect enough staff to be served where I'm sitting.  Yes I do blame the "perk" packages for the self serve mentality I've seen on the Celebrity ships recently.

26 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

There should be no line at the bar.  I expect enough staff to be served where I'm sitting.  Yes I do blame the "perk" packages for the self serve mentality I've seen on the Celebrity ships recently.

self serve mentality?

1 hour ago, jrs101 said:

Exactly.  I don’t even drink alcohol and I can consume $30+ a day from smoothies at the spa to lattes and pop and water.   This is for sure an extreme first world problem thread.  

This is Cruise Critic . Cruise Critic !! The whole site is the definition of first world issues . 😛

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

self serve mentality?

There used to be great bar service before the drink packages arrived on X.  Fewer servers now;  and even fewer since the the packages became perks.  Hence "self serve mentality."  Seems accurate to me.

Many  now go to the bar before dinner to order drinks  to carry into dinner because there is poor bar service in the dining room, generally. Many also go to the   pool bar to order drinks due to fewer servers coming around .   Same at other bars too...except for the theater before the show where they do a very decent job getting everyone served.

I bet this get slower when folks stop taking a bev package perk with upcharge.  They may order fewer drinks but each order will require turning over the card and getting a receipt from the server.   Less convenient and will take more time.

23 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

If only cruise pricing were that simple....

Our last cruise was booked with Celebrity UK. They operate differently to Celebrity in the US. At the time of booking pour last cruise Celebrity UK had an offer where for OV and above the classic drinks package and gratuities were included with the cruise fare. 

I compared UK to US pricing and the UK price was less than the same cruise if booked in the US with NO perks included so it was a no brainer for us who to book with. But.... we could have elected to book a basic cruise here inthe UK with no beverage package and no gratuities included to save approximately £200 per person. 

As we'd have had to pay around £120 in gratuities anyway that means in reality the CBP was costing us $80 per person or £8 per day. I'll drink more than that in water, soda and coffee per day before I even start with alcohol. In short, calculating the cost of a beverage package can be a lot more involved than what you suggest.It can also be better value some people perceive. 

16 hours ago, amunhbuu said:

Agreed.  I am more apt to try something new and not feel guilty about it or think I am wasting money.  I don't try to stick it to them, but I enjoy knowing I can drink most of everything on the menu when I want.

I certainly understand that each person has their drink preferences and spending issues.   

1) For example, my wife and I don't drink umbrella drinks or mixed drinks (except for a rare martini).  We drink mostly wine, with an occasional scotch and water.  Also, we drink the ship's tap water and don't drink expensive coffees or soda.

2) I realize that many like the packages so they don't have to do the accounting of what the true cost is.  I don't mind doing this, since the less we spend on a trip, the more trips we can make.   I see some cruises where adding the promos like beverage packages can cost almost as much as the cruise itself.  When I purchase a new car or refrigerator, or a cruise or even go to a restaurant, price is a major factor in my decision.   If you can save hundreds of dollars on this decision, but refuse to do the accounting, you may be sticking it to yourself (not sticking it to the cruise line).

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I certainly understand that each person has their drink preferences and spending issues.   

1) For example, my wife and I don't drink umbrella drinks or mixed drinks (except for a rare martini).  We drink mostly wine, with an occasional scotch and water.  Also, we drink the ship's tap water and don't drink expensive coffees or soda.

2) I realize that many like the packages so they don't have to do the accounting of what the true cost is.  I don't mind doing this, since the less we spend on a trip, the more trips we can make.   I see some cruises where adding the promos like beverage packages can cost almost as much as the cruise itself.  When I purchase a new car or refrigerator, or a cruise or even go to a restaurant, price is a major factor in my decision.   If you can save hundreds of dollars on this decision, but refuse to do the accounting, you may be sticking it to yourself (not sticking it to the cruise line).

Yep!  Everyone is going to have their own approach and decision on if the beverage package is worth it to them.

Part of my issue is that I am anal retentive enough to try and keep track of every drink in my head for every day.  It is comparable to getting a taxi vs. hiring a car service.  Getting the taxi will most likely be cheaper, but I am going to stress out while watching the meter constantly tick.  And I go on vacation to relax.  🙂

Cheers, everyone!

34 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has anyone figured out how much the drink package costs per day after paying the higher fare and the $14 daily charge?

Just a sample: 

Edge sailing 3/29, category E1, ;

No perks , non refundable deposit: $3463 with $200OBC

Bev + OBC: $4079, with $500 OBC

Bev pkg cost per person= (4079-500) - (3463-200) / 2 = $158

per day = 158/7=  $22.57

mac_tlc

52 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has anyone figured out how much the drink package costs per day after paying the higher fare and the $14 daily charge?

One 7 night cruise that I did a mock booking for came out to $316 more (~$45/day). In this offer you receive $200 extra OBC so helps with the pain (though the basic, no perks cruise also comes with the $200 extra OBC). 

Note: for the example above - I originally subtracted the $200 OBC, but since the no perks cruise also gets the $200, it’s not really a savings (was pointed out to me by a better mathematician on another thread). 

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jrs101 said:

This is for sure an extreme first world problem thread.

I'm always a little amazed and perplexed whenever someone mentions something being discussed on CC as a "first world problem".  We are first world travelers discussing first world issues associated with traveling on a first world traveling discussion board.  What would you expect?  I suppose if you are looking for a third world discussion, then this is the wrong board.

• Like 3